PDA

View Full Version : |N|'s DIY CAI

|N|
25-03-2005, 07:15 PM
guys this may look dodgy ... but this is wat i did for today.. took me around 3 hrs in.. most of the time was spent on adjustin the position the pipe's position properly...

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

ok here it goes...

to start off with ... remove the front bar...
the red circle r the clips on the grill/frontBar.. remove them there r 6 of them
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600132.jpg

then there is a screw here on each side
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600135.jpg

and another 4 screws under the bar...u should be able to find them easy ...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600136.jpg

unscrew all of them ... and u can just slide the front bar out... :thumbsup: :D

and this is the material that i use...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600140.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600141.jpg

to make it easier to adjust proper position ... i took the air box out...nth hard... just 2 or 3 screws...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600142.jpg

insert the pipe... and put the airbox back in ...
the pipe is just rite below the airbox... this is a view from the top with the air box
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600145.jpg

now this is the annoyin bit... make some holes on the front bar... around the area that i want to cur...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600146.jpg

then just cut it out... i didnt have proper tools... i used a fcukin pocket knife... i know its dodgy ... and didnt sand down the area properly... coz its gettin dark and i was tired...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600147.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600148.jpg

position the pipe correctly... it requires a lot of test fittin .. well.. at least for me... and almost done...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600150.jpg

put the front bar back on ... and there u go ... its all done... just while i was there i put in a CTR grill as well.... nad its not even painted... so here is the final product...enjoy guys
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600151.jpg

enjoy guys..
p.s. i still have heaps of the material left... *cough cough*
cheers :D
nick

bennjamin
25-03-2005, 09:32 PM
lookin good and dodgy :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/6600151.jpg

If you could somehow make that whole left hand side intake look abit more angry ( like , with a black snorkel etc) it would actualyl look nice :)

|N|
25-03-2005, 09:35 PM
yea i know... i had like a whole plan on it... but then its gettin dark .. and my garage doesnt have very good lightin.. so i gave and and just ended there... but when the time comes... i ll probably make it look better... but it ll do for now..

jaiz
25-03-2005, 10:00 PM
one big challengn task yet.. it can be completed in 3 hrs.. what else can i say part from the word "Bravo"...!!! Good Job and keep that dodgy trend going mate... :)

wynode
25-03-2005, 10:26 PM
That looks like garden piping which has a holes in it.

Nice writeup btw :)

|N|
25-03-2005, 10:28 PM
That looks like garden piping which has a holes in it.

Nice writeup btw :)

i think they r... they got some tiny holes .. but its good.. coz incase water goes in ... they wont make it into my filter

VTC-8OY
25-03-2005, 10:50 PM
hahah nice write up.. good ol trusty pocket knife eh.. =p

|N|
25-03-2005, 11:05 PM
good use of a pocket knife...

pm me if anyone wants to buy some of that pipe from me..

faijai
26-03-2005, 12:10 AM
hey nice nick. does look too bad la!
lol

r|Ce_bOi
26-03-2005, 10:22 AM
so is there any difference with engine response ?

HRV-80Y
26-03-2005, 02:46 PM
nice write-up...

get a file to file back the rough edges of the holes and cutting from your pocket knife...

neat is nice !! = p

JDM.Power
26-03-2005, 02:51 PM
did it give you better performance? lol

|N|
26-03-2005, 02:52 PM
so is there any difference with engine response ?

yes response is much better... at least its noticeable....

nice write-up...

get a file to file back the rough edges of the holes and cutting from your pocket knife...

neat is nice !! = p

yea i ll do that when i can get my hands on them ... and ll also put a little mesh there la...

thx guys

civic_99
26-03-2005, 04:59 PM
how r u gonna put the foggies now since you cut off that plastic bit? :)
good write up

crispy
26-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Nice work.. thats some dodge workmaship... but hell it still works wonders. Once again, Nice work

|N|
26-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Nice work.. thats some dodge workmaship... but hell it still works wonders. Once again, Nice work

yea i know its not the best job.. but it works...:D

sugapopcandy
26-03-2005, 10:57 PM
gotta show me how to do it sometime nick :)

|N|
26-03-2005, 10:59 PM
gotta show me how to do it sometime nick :)

u sure u want it? it adds like 50kw more ... keep gettin wheel spin

sugapopcandy
26-03-2005, 11:01 PM
serious... 50kw??! thats a lot !

|N|
26-03-2005, 11:02 PM
serious... 50kw??! thats a lot !

yea.. much more then u get frmo the OH sticker... i was told they give 5kw...this is 10 times of the sticker...

sugapopcandy
26-03-2005, 11:05 PM
damn.. u serious.. i need more stickers then
and u defiantely have to help me with my CAI

|N|
26-03-2005, 11:14 PM
no probs la

sugapopcandy
26-03-2005, 11:16 PM
thanks i'll organise a date with u later

|N|
26-03-2005, 11:30 PM
thanks i'll organise a date with u later

a date as in a date with me? oh.. behave xtina... at least take it to pm

sugapopcandy
26-03-2005, 11:33 PM
oh sorry.. pm sent.

panda[cRx]
27-03-2005, 12:28 AM
the same as mine but i dont have the lil holes in mine. i found on mine (gen2 crx) it performed and sounded much better. :)

|N|
27-03-2005, 01:20 AM
']the same as mine but i dont have the lil holes in mine. i found on mine (gen2 crx) it performed and sounded much better. :)

yea.. but the holes i have r heaps small... so i guess its alrite la

joneblaze
27-03-2005, 01:58 PM
You made a hole in your front bar with a pocket knife? *sigh*....Nick........... :(

Btw, the ribbed and slightly overly flexible nature of that sort of piping is apparently not as optimal as other stiffer material based hosing for your intake. But hey, if it works and you feel a difference, then it's all good. :)

|N|
27-03-2005, 02:16 PM
You made a hole in your front bar with a pocket knife? *sigh*....Nick........... :(

Btw, the ribbed and slightly overly flexible nature of that sort of piping is apparently not as optimal as other stiffer material based hosing for your intake. But hey, if it works and you feel a difference, then it's all good. :)

dodgy yea... haha..lols...
but it wont flex... coz it fits in perfectly... i can handly move it ,, so i guess its alrite...

egSi
27-03-2005, 03:48 PM
well done nick, looks good man, your filter will work much better now :thumbsup:

joneblaze
27-03-2005, 05:27 PM
dodgy yea... haha..lols...
but it wont flex... coz it fits in perfectly... i can handly move it ,, so i guess its alrite...

Not only that, the ribbed design of the piping will technically screw up a clean smooth air flow intake, creating turbulence in the piping.

|N|
27-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Not only that, the ribbed design of the piping will technically screw up a clean smooth air flow intake, creating turbulence in the piping.

yea jon i get wat u mean ... if i can get my hands on a better one... i might change the pipe.. but this ll do for now...

well done nick, looks good man, your filter will work much better now :thumbsup:.

yea man ... now i can really feel the k&n power yo,..

bennjamin
27-03-2005, 11:38 PM

some turbulence is better than totally clean cut smooth walls.

think of a ping pong ball...and then a golf ball.
Which one will go the further distance with the same force applied ?

KB
28-03-2005, 12:24 AM
A golf ball would. Hitting both with the same 3 Wood, the Golf ball would go 200m and the ping pong ball would get dented and go 3m because its made of thin plastic.
If your talking about aero dynamics then yes the dimples on the golfball allow it to travel further because the dimples lessen the turbulence as it travels through the air but this only applies to and object(ball) going through air, not air going through an object such as a pipe.

This piping would create turbulence, thus slowing down the air, and creating more friction=heat. Please explain your theory more? :|

Anyway still if you get a gain it's all good.
Good right up |N|

bennjamin
28-03-2005, 12:57 AM
This piping would create turbulence, thus slowing down the air, and creating more friction=heat. Please explain your theory more? :|

Perhaps not the best example - my basic point is a fine level of "turbulence" is beneficial for air flow.(especially in more contricted areas, such as the throttle body, inlet manifold etc) Alittle bit of a rough surface is OK.

It's to do with the boundary layer.
At a very small level, where the moving air touches the surface of something like an inlet port, it moves very slowly. As you move a small fraction away from the surface, the airspeed starts to pick up, to the point where it's the same as the airlflow around the middle of the port.
The thicker the boundary layer, the smaller the effective size of the port and so the less air will get in.
So, to make the boundary layer thinner, you need to get it to stick to the port walls etc as best as possible. That's where the slightly rough surface comes in, it helps make the layer thinner.
It's also why golfballs have a dimpled surface, it helps reduce drag as they fly along, and makes the flight more predictable.

Its mostly theory mixed with what expericenced people have told me.

|N|
28-03-2005, 01:59 AM
so ben r u sayin that the pipe i have now is good enf to do the job?

bennjamin
28-03-2005, 02:17 AM
so ben r u sayin that the pipe i have now is good enf to do the job?

The pipe can be improved on ( as in lot larger intake thru to a venturi of sorts) . . . but essentially Yup. :)

|N|
28-03-2005, 02:38 AM
The pipe can be improved on ( as in lot larger intake thru to a venturi of sorts) . . . but essentially Yup. :)

thats all i need to know... thx ben ... at first i was just think that its only my head taht i think this think works....but i did some testin ... like drivin the same speed on roads that i travel everyday ... and i got my ans. ... this dodgy actually helps... and now i got sth word frmo u to suppost this haunted pipe... so i m a happy man .. thx ben :wave:

Vivski
28-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Hey, if you had the perfect materials it wouldn't be half as fun! I mean, pocket knife... garden piping... hey presto cold air intake! That's the way DIY should be.

Now you can use the rest of the piping for your DIY turbo. :p

iced
28-03-2005, 12:15 PM
you can buy that pipe without the holes.

with the holes its like you're sucking from a a leaky intake, with a nice loss of pressure, like a broken straw. most of the time the ram effect is not in use, or very little. so when you boot it, its takign in air because basically the engine wants that air.

|N|
28-03-2005, 03:05 PM
you can buy that pipe without the holes.

with the holes its like you're sucking from a a leaky intake, with a nice loss of pressure, like a broken straw. most of the time the ram effect is not in use, or very little. so when you boot it, its takign in air because basically the engine wants that air.

those holes r not big enf too affect the flow

bennjamin
28-03-2005, 10:08 PM
those holes r not big enf too affect the flow

any hole is big enough to effect the air pressure and or flow.

|N|
28-03-2005, 10:11 PM
ok ben ... guess my pipe is not perfect... but i think the holes can help drainin out water.. incase water gets in

KB
28-03-2005, 10:51 PM
but in the end we are talking a 0.01 hp

If you gain 4 hp from $300 intake, or 2hp from a DIY Pipe its all very small. Little things here and there do affect hp but fuk all. I mean you could do a shit and your power/weight ratio would be improved more than an intake. Btw I think your intake is good as im a fan of DIY and experimenting than just handing someone $$$ and asking to make your car better.

(y)

love to all :)

-KB

|N|
28-03-2005, 10:53 PM
but in the end we are talking a 0.01 hp

If you gain 4 hp from $300 intake, or 2hp from a DIY Pipe its all very small. Little things here and there do affect hp but fuk all. I mean you could do a shit and your power/weight ratio would be improved more than an intake. Btw I think your intake is good as im a fan of DIY and experimenting than just handing someone $$$ and asking to make your car better.

(y)

love to all :)

-KB

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: thats the spirit mate... i m not handin in my hard earned $$ easily

bennjamin
28-03-2005, 11:21 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: thats the spirit mate... i m not handin in my hard earned $$ easily

:)

i too follow teh rule of the DIY blitz eheheh :thumbsup:

jennifer
28-03-2005, 11:30 PM
So when are you gona do that to my car? HAHAha J/King but good job and hope I get to see the finsish product real soon

J-MuN
29-03-2005, 02:10 AM
nice job.. how come u didnt use PVC piping (i didnt read entire 4 pages so no one flame me :o)

panda[cRx]
29-03-2005, 02:22 AM
the black tubing is more flexible and easier to use.

i used similar stuff (minus the holes and ribbing inside) and it was much easier than pvc piping

|N|
29-03-2005, 02:23 AM
i dunno man... coz i saw these pipes... and i thought i could use them for CAI.. didnt think too much ...

J-MuN
29-03-2005, 02:24 AM
PVC is stronger though... is that black tubing gonna last long enuff?.. and if u can see the black tubbing kinda looks cheap.. but |N| has done good job...

|N|
29-03-2005, 02:42 AM
PVC is stronger though... is that black tubing gonna last long enuff?.. and if u can see the black tubbing kinda looks cheap.. but |N| has done good job...

thank you

VTEC16
30-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Perhaps not the best example - my basic point is a fine level of "turbulence" is beneficial for air flow.(especially in more contricted areas, such as the throttle body, inlet manifold etc) Alittle bit of a rough surface is OK.

It's to do with the boundary layer.
At a very small level, where the moving air touches the surface of something like an inlet port, it moves very slowly. As you move a small fraction away from the surface, the airspeed starts to pick up, to the point where it's the same as the airlflow around the middle of the port.
The thicker the boundary layer, the smaller the effective size of the port and so the less air will get in.
So, to make the boundary layer thinner, you need to get it to stick to the port walls etc as best as possible. That's where the slightly rough surface comes in, it helps make the layer thinner.
It's also why golfballs have a dimpled surface, it helps reduce drag as they fly along, and makes the flight more predictable.

Its mostly theory mixed with what expericenced people have told me.

Im sorry ben but applying what you are saying to a pipe which has not been aerodynamically designed for such purposes is fundametally incorrect.

One cannot argue: "Golf balls have dimples on them to aid aerodynamics" and therefore "crude imperfections aid aerodynamics through garden piping"

bennjamin
30-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Im sorry ben but applying what you are saying to a pipe which has not been aerodynamically designed for such purposes is fundametally incorrect.

One cannot argue: "Golf balls have dimples on them to aid aerodynamics" and therefore "crude imperfections aid aerodynamics through garden piping"

Its real life applied flow issues that apply to internal headwork + other airflow areas in engines - its just a thought relative to our lil hondas too , that crude piping is NOT such a bad thing in majority of DIY setups..excessively crude piping with many holes or restrictions etc ofcourse will have a negatvie effect.

Keep up the DIY goods people :)

zco
30-03-2005, 02:34 PM
i thoguht CAI was when pod was external of car

panda[cRx]
30-03-2005, 04:17 PM
so like this zco? bwahahahhahahahahahah
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/panda_crx/coldair.jpg

panda[cRx]
30-03-2005, 04:21 PM

what do you mean last long enough?
the only thing going thru it is AIR:rolleyes:

and yes nick did do a good job:thumbsup:

VTC-8OY
30-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Hahahahaah @ PandaCRX's Pic !!

panda[cRx]
30-03-2005, 04:38 PM
not a photoshop either, just 100% rice/yank stupidity :D

bennjamin
30-03-2005, 06:12 PM
']not a photoshop either, just 100% rice/yank stupidity :D

when i get home from work tonight - ill post up my old CAI setup on my old Si....effective....but fugly ehehhe.

Anyone else have some DIY images of their CAI setup ?!?

Vivski
30-03-2005, 06:40 PM
My mate's got a MkII Supra with pop-up headlights. He wants to do a CAI but can't find a way to get air in. So we said just but headlights where his stock driving lights are and stick the pipe out the pop-up light. :P
He's far to attached to it to cut holes in it. Even if they are legitimate speed holes. :p

zco
30-03-2005, 06:51 PM
hahha ROFLMAO bigtime !h haha thats funny panda..

seriously.. i though CAI was when pod lies near the front wheel of hte car, so when the wheels spins, Cold Air gets in.. is that true? or am i just kidding myself?

|N|
30-03-2005, 06:54 PM
hahha ROFLMAO bigtime !h haha thats funny panda..

seriously.. i though CAI was when pod lies near the front wheel of hte car, so when the wheels spins, Cold Air gets in.. is that true? or am i just kidding myself?

wtf??? the wheels direct air in?? i dun see air .. i see dust and water...

Vivski
30-03-2005, 08:40 PM
wtf??? the wheels direct air in?? i dun see air .. i see dust and water...
Lol, I don't think the engine would really like that too much. :p
You want it at the front so you get clean air and mounting facing forwards which gets air blowing straight in helps too. If you were going fast enough it'd be like a turbo, forcing air in. :D

civti
30-03-2005, 11:48 PM
good stuff :thumbsup:

EK9
31-03-2005, 12:33 AM
LOL@ Panda's pic... :D

Nick, great job dude... exactly wot i did! ;) Great minds think alike hey? LOL.
Good ol DIY... that's the only way, hehe...

But i wanna ask, where's u resonator??? Did u take it out previously??

I did the exact same thing u did a few months ago, except i removed my resonator too, and other thing is my front bar (96-98 ek) doesn't have those vents... bugger. so mine's just sitting behind the bumper. here's my diy article from a while back

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13836

sum extra dodgey pics, thought i'd share again... hehe. oh btw, i used $20/m piping from purple pig... they recommended it for CAI piping, being heat resistant rubber material, no holes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/coldairpiping1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/coldairpiping2.jpg

sorry, dun mean to hijack ur thread ;)

panda[cRx]
31-03-2005, 12:48 AM
who or what is a purple pig vinh?
i just got mine from clark rubber

EK9
31-03-2005, 01:02 AM
i went to clark rubber in essondon/keilor and they didn't have any... they told me woulda been 30 bux per meter.

purple pig are a company that makes hoses and other industrial stuff, garden hoses, rubber piping, any kinda pump/air fitments u need they prob have it. there's one near my house... wen i went in they said "piping... for cai rite?", so yeah, they knew wot i wanted :D was 20bux/m, i only got 1m, was enuff for all dat.

h22a accord
31-03-2005, 09:58 AM
this my do it ya self pod filter...sorta, i got some piping and jammed it up the mouth of the intake and it feeds from behind the front bar.

http://img68.exs.cx/img68/4342/cai4pv.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
http://img196.exs.cx/img196/6254/acc0138nn.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

|N|
31-03-2005, 02:50 PM
thx Vinh... yea i guess great minds think alike .. hahaha.. the resonator?? i took it out pretty much the first week i got the car... coz i dun see the point of it.. apart from stoppin air to get in freely.... so yea...

thx for the compliments guys

LOL@ Panda's pic... :D

Nick, great job dude... exactly wot i did! ;) Great minds think alike hey? LOL.
Good ol DIY... that's the only way, hehe...

But i wanna ask, where's u resonator??? Did u take it out previously??

I did the exact same thing u did a few months ago, except i removed my resonator too, and other thing is my front bar (96-98 ek) doesn't have those vents... bugger. so mine's just sitting behind the bumper. here's my diy article from a while back

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13836

sum extra dodgey pics, thought i'd share again... hehe. oh btw, i used $20/m piping from purple pig... they recommended it for CAI piping, being heat resistant rubber material, no holes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/coldairpiping1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/coldairpiping2.jpg

sorry, dun mean to hijack ur thread ;)

BlitZ
01-04-2005, 06:52 PM
interesting... ahaha im very surprised if u didnt lose any power...
haahahah honda made it right..
ahhahaha the 180"degree bend creates speed ... its all designed for a reason...
Only reason imm get cai is for sound

jsut my 2 cents

|N|
01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
i think the purpose of that 180"degree bend u talkin abt is to min. intake noise...

ie. keepin it more quite... can someone say i m wrong?

Qwooootz
02-04-2005, 10:42 AM
GOOD write up N!:D :wave:

just wodnerign if anyone has positioned the piping else where rather than where the foglights go if u have the facelift?.. like lets say where the grill is ? possible.. impossible? ridiculous? lol definatly not liek that black civic commin of the right headlights hole!lol

UW15HN
02-04-2005, 08:30 PM
i saw a starlet at eastern creek today with a pod sticking out of its front grill

what happens when the pod gets wet???

|N|
02-04-2005, 10:24 PM
i saw a starlet at eastern creek today with a pod sticking out of its front grill

what happens when the pod gets wet???

he s fcuked..

bennjamin
02-04-2005, 11:31 PM
he s fcuked..

not in all cases....alittle water spray etc shouldnt damage your engine at all.
But if the pod beign the only source of air induction , is majority or totally immersed in water the engine has got to suck something in !

Limbo
03-04-2005, 03:22 AM
btw... i got 25 mtrs of that stuff without the holes for $30. Use some of it on my old car and so what about the bends cold air still comes thru. Try blowing in one end and you'll see what i mean.

|N|
03-04-2005, 03:24 AM
sure it does

Perry
06-04-2005, 03:20 PM
nice write up laaaa, i want to do mine now

|N|
06-04-2005, 08:28 PM
today is the first time that i finished a whole full tank after installed my CAI... i got 490 km s out of it... normally i would get 450 km... is there anything to do with the cai or ...?

egSi
07-04-2005, 07:44 AM
today is the first time that i finished a whole full tank after installed my CAI... i got 490 km s out of it... normally i would get 450 km... is there anything to do with the cai or ...?

nah mate its ur new lights lol.

ya well if u think about it what have u done? ALLOWED air to travel into your intake easier and quicker, and with a more direct path, thats gotta to be better for fuel economy ;) :thumbsup:

RIP TRAV :D

|N|
07-04-2005, 02:16 PM
nah mate its ur new lights lol.

ya well if u think about it what have u done? ALLOWED air to travel into your intake easier and quicker, and with a more direct path, thats gotta to be better for fuel economy ;) :thumbsup:

RIP TRAV :D

ohh cooooooll.... now my diy is savin me $$ ... wooohoooo....:thumbsup:

nah i dun think lights ll do anything to save fuel... it just adds 23.7 kw @ wheel

jdmh22a
08-07-2005, 09:48 AM
|N| hey nice setup, i've got a 93 lude and was wondering if the layout was the same... i know there is a hole from underneath the airbox through to the chassis but not sure where that leads to...anyway what if it rains? will water get into there?

daidoidoi
12-07-2005, 01:06 AM
one noob question ....will the rain get in ?? will it be able to stand the heavy rain in sydney for the past weeks ? or is it better to place some sort of mesh in the pipe to prevent dirt too ?

|N|
12-07-2005, 04:46 AM
i ve been drivin the car under heavy rain alot for the past few weeks... no problem at all...

MIRZ
12-07-2005, 12:03 PM
so far mine is going well without any problem in rain, but melbourne has not had enough rain though. will see how it will go in heavy rain.

but i dont think it should suck water in engine bay.

A'PEXi
12-07-2005, 09:45 PM
nice write up n :D

the piping i used for mine isnt very big (but it was the biggest i could use coz the stupid cooler piping was in the way :P)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/kewday_8/cai1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/kewday_8/cai2.jpg

egSi
13-07-2005, 03:39 PM
this thread just wont die lol, well done nick :thumbsup:

|N|
13-07-2005, 04:25 PM
this thread just wont die lol, well done nick :thumbsup:

lol.... for some reason ... it keeps comin back ...

dundas
13-07-2005, 08:13 PM
btw... i got 25 mtrs of that stuff without the holes for $30. Use some of it on my old car and so what about the bends cold air still comes thru. Try blowing in one end and you'll see what i mean.

omg 25 meters for $30 das HEAAAPS CHEAP..
i bought 1 meter for $20 i cried :(

mrwillz
13-07-2005, 10:02 PM
wot size piping did u use???

|N|
16-07-2005, 11:00 PM
i think its 100mm

stephen8512
17-07-2005, 09:15 PM
lol nick looks like everyone wants to follow in ur footsteps with this DIY CAI thing
nice, simple, dodgy.....wat more could u want :D
if it does the job, then go for it
get nicole to breathe breathe breathe!!!!
hehehehe

j0nbubz
09-08-2005, 12:41 AM
wow great write up.. does it apply to other cars too?

s3ph
12-08-2005, 01:47 PM
man wish i had the newer front version of the civic...

stupid 97 model....

s3ph
12-08-2005, 01:48 PM
btw nice write up... used this to find out how to take my front bar off.. :)

|N|
14-08-2005, 01:35 AM
^lol.....

i m glad that my article actually is helpin ppl out...
yea basically it can be apply on any car... the only diff ll be where to mount the pipe

mrwillz
17-08-2005, 07:28 PM
btw is there a name type of the pipiing. becuz i've heard some piping type can melt n shrivel up.

litmog
17-08-2005, 10:38 PM
good job nick, reckon you should cut a hole in the other foggy to even it out, coz your cars white and its more noticable

i got my pipe from purple pig too, but i couldnt bare cutting my bumper up tho, so i fed it to the front and held it down with cable ties

Jase EK
17-08-2005, 11:02 PM
what does it look like in the engine bay ?

litmog
17-08-2005, 11:07 PM
what does it look like in the engine bay ?

for my one i just used stock box with kn panel filter, took out resonator and fed the pipe from bottom of stock box, through to where the resonator was, behind the front bumper and it sticks out of the grill thingo at bottom of bumper

|N|
05-03-2006, 08:23 AM
my setup has been mod recently .... now its even better... will post pics up when i can get cam

Civique
29-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Great Post!!! I take it your DIY job is still delivering tha goods :-) do you now if this is pretty much what the rofessionals do but with fitted parts and btr methods (not nockin ur methods N) i reckon ill try this out on my 98 Civ Gli, i love a bit of playing around and fiddeling, u find out a heck lot more about ur car then u wud if it was sitting in a workshop...

Its the thread that never ends,yes it goes on and on my friends....................... :-P

|N|
29-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Great Post!!! I take it your DIY job is still delivering tha goods :-) do you now if this is pretty much what the rofessionals do but with fitted parts and btr methods (not nockin ur methods N) i reckon ill try this out on my 98 Civ Gli, i love a bit of playing around and fiddeling, u find out a heck lot more about ur car then u wud if it was sitting in a workshop...

Its the thread that never ends,yes it goes on and on my friends....................... :-P

thx man... yea worth a try i say ... cost is close to nothing anyway ...
:thumbsup:

Civique
29-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey N.............D16Y4 represents yo yo yooooo, i got a 98 Civ Gli ;-)

|N|
30-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey N.............D16Y4 represents yo yo yooooo, i got a 98 Civ Gli ;-)

lol... go the D-series... the d16y4 is actually not too bad for a 1.6 sohc non vtec...

Civique
30-04-2006, 01:30 AM
I hear you there......... not to bad at all :)

bored
30-04-2006, 04:53 AM
nice job

|N|
19-11-2006, 09:19 PM
today had a bit of time.. and update my CAI

tight ass ftw...

seems to be working well.. maybe its my head tho...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/19112006268.jpg

this is where air goes in..there s actually a funnel that connects to the pipe to collects as much cold air as possibole..
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/19112006269.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/19112006270.jpg

view from wheel arc
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/19112006272.jpg

this is where it s coming out... right under my apexi intake...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/19112006271.jpg

Mrkrooz
19-11-2006, 10:25 PM
looks good......thats not dodgy ive seen worse lol

aaronng
20-11-2006, 12:13 AM
To be dodgy, you need to use sticky tape to hold the piping. hahahaa...

Nice one Nick. Come on, do the airbox too!

|N|
20-11-2006, 08:20 AM
airbox will be done sooner or later for max performance of my dodgy DIY intake. but have to figure out a way first. coz taht spot looks pretty hetick

|N|
21-11-2006, 04:48 PM
hot weather like today didnt help at all

aaronng
21-11-2006, 04:59 PM
It's bad, but my car was alright.... Do the airbox.

Tarks
21-11-2006, 09:50 PM
dodgy DIY ftw nick

|N|
22-11-2006, 12:19 PM
lol tarks.. u wnat it dun u

Tarks
22-11-2006, 12:48 PM
nah im gettin proper cai :P

aaronng
22-11-2006, 12:58 PM
nah im gettin proper cai :P

When are you getting it? I want to hear it. hehe

Tarks
22-11-2006, 10:40 PM
dunno yet lol

micsway
09-07-2007, 03:10 AM
dont supose we could see some shots of that pipin with the bumber off, i like your idea of using a funnel, very creative and clever