PDA

View Full Version : Burning Rubber smell?

crispy
25-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Ive noticed in the last couple of days that my car is emmitting a burnt rubber smell from the engine bay. I have no idea where it is coming from and its really worrying me. The burnt rubber smell seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine bay between the motor and wheel. What are the possible places it may be coming from and how can i fix it? I just recently posted that i can hear squeaking when i turn right, well this is gettin worse and it now happens at low speeds and when i turn left. so i have no idea what is going on. Please.. if anyone can help please let me know!!

bennjamin
25-03-2005, 08:53 PM
get into your car , turn the steering wheel (while its on and stationary) fully to the left. Pull up the handbrake , get out and have a look inside the wheel arch - look at the CV joint for any tears / grease , look at the inner wheel for any rub marks etc.

Do this on both sides of the car...altho , that smell might be your clutch ?!?

crispy
25-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Its definately not the clutch... im positive of that! Ill have a look tomorrow, but it just occured to me that i have a leak somewhere in that same area, because in the spot where i park my car i have an oily patch directly under where the problem seems to be coming from. So i dont know whether it is a coincidence that i have 3 problems from that same area, or its the one problem. Ill have to get honda to check it out asap, but im just trying to figure out what it is this weekend so i am closer to a resolution.

bennjamin
25-03-2005, 09:57 PM
oil could likely be from your brake master cylinder - leaking....which can smell abit off too.

Or , possibly be your rear main seal leakign abit of oil ( main seal is beside the flywheel) - which leaks onto the exhust manifold and makes the smell too.

Good luck finding out the cluprit.

fly_vti
04-04-2005, 05:56 PM
definitly something plastic lol na maybe brakes man. when u use them too much they do that the clutch.. thats all i can think of

tegstar83
04-04-2005, 09:32 PM
It could also possibly be ur CV joints.
On the car of ur age it is a high possibility