PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic EJ8 X-Force Header Review

KB
25-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda Civic EJ8 X-Force Header Review
D16y8 Engine

The following review is purely of my own view.

Firstly, Trav thanks for the quick delivery of the header and putting up with me and my antics. Before Opening my latest 'baby' I had some mixed ideas of what this header was going to be like. Alot of people give X-Force a bad name, bad welding, subject to cracking ect. Although the people who tell me this are usually the JDM Whores who have nothing but the best of the best.
I was very pleased though and quite suprised after opening my package. Lying there was this imaculate header sitting there in all it's Shimmering glory. After a quick inspection of the parts I was quite supprised at the quality. The welds on the out side were mint, everything flowed correctly. On the inside was better, it has recieved a porting job, removing all harsh surfaces from the inside. So build quality gets my :thumbsup:.

X-Force Header
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/835YAY.JPG

Next Stage was to get thing on there. After A quick trip to Repco for some "Maniseal" It was off to my mates house. Jacked it, up removed all bolts and pulled that ugly cast iron POS out.

X-Force Header VS OEM D16y8 Header
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/835Diff.JPG

I was very happy with how the installation went. It slotted right into place. Non of this "cutting and bending" like some people say you have to. This baby slotted in so good, almost better then OEM :p. Attached it to the head, then to the CAT, I reset my ECU and it was time to fire this baby up.

EJ8 Coupe, D16y8 Engine Bay
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/835Finished_Product.JPG

I started it up and suprsingly it wasn't that much louder. I thought to myself what it needed was some "SOHC VTAK POWA" So I went out for a chop in my "back yard". It was very pleased. No longer did my car sound like a fart machine. It had this note to it like a rally car, which just made it sound like it had some balls in it, which it did! I think I might of pulled a few extra Kw. Nm is a bit better to. But this header really shines in VTEC where it pulls alot better. I can't wait to see how it goes when I get my Catback Exhaust in. After my drive I re-checked my engine bay and the header had turned this sexy gold. :thumbsup:
If the Kw gain wasn't much, It definatly feels as if is can rev free-er now. Less "restrcted". Overall Im very Happy.

Overall I rate this mod. 9/10
I Wasn't blown out of my seat with rapid amounts of chassis bending torque. But it was a good bang for buck for only $450.00 to my door step. And now it's a steping stone to other mods to engine which can make use of the better breathing( eg cams, higher Compression).

Thanks again Trav.

Regards Kyle

P.S Can't wait for our clubs drag day :P Ill be representing the D's.

Kandy
26-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Nice review.

Damn it, I should have learned not to go to ozhonda forums until I have money to buy stuff. Grrrrrrrrrr! BTW what is maniseal for?

|N|
26-03-2005, 06:20 PM
mang.. ur eng. bay is sooo damn clean

KB
26-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Kandy
Mani-seal = manifold seal, LOL
Basically ensures perfect seal between head and exhaust manifoldmanifold

|N|
Today I polished the engine bay, and amour-all-ed the black parts :D

-KB

sheepo
26-03-2005, 06:49 PM
sweet engine bay =P and a nice review :)

egSi
27-03-2005, 03:51 PM
kyle that is dope as all hell man, ur ebay is so clean, im so glad ur happy with me, looks better than mine :rolleyes:

awesome write up too, xforce is not bad like most ppl crap on about

Vivski
28-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Is the rest of your exhaust standard?
Can you explain the difference in sound (volume and quality)?

I'm looking into putting this header on my D16Y1 EG VTi.
Cheers.

Btw, nice review.

KB
28-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Apart From Header I have a Cannon Muffler. Before hand it sounded like any car with a cannon. Just fart like noise. But after Header fart noise is lost and it sounds more Sporty. Kinda like how a performence car would sound with it's stock exhaust.

Um in a way, when the cars not under 'load' it sounds quieter, but after you put your foot down. I dunno. LOL It's not raspy, but not V8 like. Its just "brmmmmmmmmmmmmmbrraaakakkkk". :D

Im going to get a 2" Catback, with 1 resonator this week. Ill let you know how it sounds.

I took a Video Of my tacho yesterday and it recorded sound, I can get the audio off of it and send it to yO.

KB
28-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Latest Engine bay Picture
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/83511.jpg

Eclipsor
28-03-2005, 05:32 PM
that is one clean engine bay. headers looking good.

panda[cRx]
28-03-2005, 08:43 PM
oooh looking hot :)

KB
28-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Cheers :)

tegboy
28-03-2005, 09:16 PM
I love the golden color, do they stay that way???

KB
28-03-2005, 09:18 PM
I hope so? But im sure the very tops (coming out of head) turn blue.

egSi
29-03-2005, 07:50 AM
yes they stay gold, welds sorta go blue/purple and stay that way too :thumbsup:

KB
24-05-2005, 09:40 PM
UPDATE:

The headers have gone purple/pink/gold/grey/BLING. Hahahah im loving it.
Got a 2.25" Catback installed. Made 115Whp using ULP!

Trav, put review on your website.

-Kyle

egSi
25-05-2005, 08:41 AM
UPDATE:

The headers have gone purple/pink/gold/grey/BLING. Hahahah im loving it.
Got a 2.25" Catback installed. Made 115Whp using ULP!

Trav, put review on your website.

-Kyle

sweet man!!! well done :thumbsup:

Terry
25-05-2005, 09:29 AM
thats what i mean! :D header is very important for a car like EJ8........b4 i put header on....i just got the cat back exhaust which give me noise except power.....feels like all those Lancer on the road......after i put it on i get back torque like using factory one, but if i drive hard they do have a noticable VTEC sound......man u should get your piping done as soon as possible, by then hope u can enjoy the true power of SOHC VTEC......:D

Glad to see somone mod their EJ8......:D

KB
25-05-2005, 09:38 PM
man u should get your piping done as soon as possible, by then hope u can enjoy the true power of SOHC VTEC......:D

What you mean :s ?

I have I/H(Xforce)/E(2.25")

KB
25-05-2005, 09:40 PM
hope u can enjoy the true power of SOHC VTEC......:D

Werd!

I got a video of me chopping a EG6 through 1'st and 2'nd.

SOHC POWA!

Terry
26-05-2005, 12:38 AM
next time u can consider to get the 4.7 final gear/drive........u will be suprise how helpful for that little things........catch a B16A? not a difficult job anymore:D

PS:sorry i read too fast....u got cat back exhaust already dont you?:p

egSi
26-05-2005, 08:46 AM
u guys both know u need a hi flow cat as well ;)

KB
26-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Yeh when I got money I get one Trav. If you can hook a brother up that is. But next modification will proabably be Putting some speakers in my car, cause i have none :p and sometimes, a full exhaust conveys the SOHC's rasp a bit too much.

egSi
26-05-2005, 05:39 PM
kyle that balony mang, the only thing that get a sohc raspy or any car for that matter is no resonator! :thumbdwn:

and yes i can hook u up :D

KB
26-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeh I got no resonator. Hahaha.

huytek
26-05-2005, 10:02 PM
ahh...daym fine engine bay
looks very impressive indeed!

KB
26-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Cheers Mate!

crispy
27-05-2005, 03:08 PM
wow thats really inspired me to start saving for xforce headers on my car. I love the look of the burnt stainless steel.. thats awesome, great job

KB
28-05-2005, 01:29 PM
I take new photo for you. They now have gone purple! :o

crispy
28-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Purple huh?? still cool tho

MoonSha
29-05-2005, 12:16 AM
I wonder if mine looked like that at some point, I'm not sure if they are SS, too old!

Couped Up
29-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Damn man ur engiehn ishy lookin good man im so proud of another ej8 owner lolz nice headers man im thinkin ofrf pick em up too...

typicalmale
29-06-2005, 06:09 PM
lookin nice there buddy :P

reckless
07-07-2005, 10:14 PM
that is looking nice man! now you're tempting me to grab one of those headers!! arghh!

temptation overload! :D