PDA

View Full Version : Bought a my12 at auction - now worried...

Aus.ivan
24-05-2013, 10:00 PM
So here's my predicament. Was shopping for a basic ex government omega at pickles auctions when out of the blue an 18 month old silver euro is there with 57k kms on the clock. I check the condition report and it states full service history and Vic police as the department. On the day I didn't have much time to check everything out - oil and fluids looked in good nick, tidy and new inside and out and I assumed that as it was an exec level car that it was driven by one person high up in command vs the commodores that everyone bashes about.

After purchasing and examining the logbook, I am frozen in my tracks when I see the service history is all written in pen (the same ink) with no stamps or details after the first moth dealership service. Now I am living in fear that this thing hasn't been looked after at all. I rang the service department of Vic police and they told me it was serviced at a private mechanic but can't disclose details due to confidentiality (what BS) so my warranty is pretty much out the window. I plan on keeping it for about six years and selling just before it hits 100k km (I drive about 6500k a year).

What do you guys think

(A) do cops pay for their own petrol/services? Do you think it's okay and how much damage can one do to the car in the first 18 months 60k?

(B) I've read the auto transmission is prone to failure so im going to do tranjsmission fluid at next service, can anyone recommend a place in the western suburbs? Sleeping performance looks good and highly rated here but is too far on the other side of town. Someone mentioned a place near ikea Richmond which could be an option.

(C) am I overreacting? Surely if petrol/service costs on company cars are covered you would buy premium and get it serviced right? Please.... ??

Any help here would be really appreciated as I am loving this car and it drives well but its unknown service history is stressing me out.

curtis265
24-05-2013, 10:02 PM
You are overreacting.

Just change that tranny fluid for your peace of mind if you're that worried about it.

Are there any service receipts?

bboyzell
24-05-2013, 10:03 PM
I think that if it drives fine and you are happy with it. Be happy with is

I will choose C out of your list.

Just give it a decent service and be happy with it

Aus.ivan
24-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Zero service receipts. Atleast the oil in there looks really clean and according to the written in services (if you belive they aren't just made up)it was taken in every 3 months as it racked up that 60k within a year and a half. Anyone have any idea what kind of cop would get a euro as a government car? Detectives? Executives?

curtis265
24-05-2013, 10:16 PM
i think you are waaaaaaaaay over thinking this - the previous owner's job says nothing about how he or she treats or drives their work car. That said, if it's been thoroughly abused you'd be able to tell by now. (check tyre wear, suspension components/noises, general engine smoothness/oil consumption)

At 60000k, I don't think much has needed to be carried out - Oil/PS/brake/transmission fluid? Look at the minimum maintenance schedule, that's more than likely all that's been done. Those are the easy jobs too.

I CU2
25-05-2013, 01:18 AM
It's done and dusted now. No point worrying about it, just enjoy the car :)

grifty
25-05-2013, 10:53 AM
its a government car, they dont cheap out.

Not always serviced by the dealership, it was probably some detectives car....

You can call up honda and see if they have any service records, all of there service records are online.

Aus.ivan
25-05-2013, 11:02 AM
its a government car, they dont cheap out.

Not always serviced by the dealership, it was probably some detectives car....

You can call up honda and see if they have any service records, all of there service records are online.

Yeh I called honda and they only have the original service on their records. On the road worthy their was 78% left on the breaks so they had to have been done so it was serviced somewhere so as most have mentioned here I'm probably just overthinking things. Thing that freaked me out was all the service logins were done in the same handwriting and pen - like one after the other. Pissed me off that pickles listed it as full service history as this can't be proved. Hopefully it was just someone transcribing records held somewhere else.

Any ideas on a good honda mechanic close to cbd or western suburbs in melbourne?

Fredoops
25-05-2013, 05:40 PM
A decent independent is just as good as a dealer if not better

Info related to an unmarked police car is very sensitive as it can be Used as a stake out vehicle

antony
26-05-2013, 12:15 PM
That was a lucky detective,i have never heard of a Euro being used by the polic before...

And you got a much better car than a Commodore,so be greatful,look after it,and it will look after you.