PDA

View Full Version : civic transmission no power to wheels

subaerzwar
25-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Whilst driving my 95 eg civic the left hand side driveshaft popped out of the transmission. As a result I lost power to my wheels. Upon further inspection I pulled out the driveshaft and the splines were fine, inside the transmission and on the driveshaft. I turned over the engine, and the right hand driveshaft was not turning, however the diff appears to be turning. Would it be likely that I have caused damage to the gearbox as there wasn't any grinding or any sounds except for the fact that I have no power to the wheels whatsoever? If so what possibly could have gone wrong?

hoaanguyen
25-05-2013, 10:43 AM
seems right if you have open diff, open diff gives power to the wheel that has the least resistant? i think so left side being out all the power goes to it.

if the left shaft is fine you could pop it back in, jack car upso both wheels are up and in gear (car doesnt need to be turned on), both wheels will turn opposite ways

chez00
26-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Whilst driving my 95 eg civic the left hand side driveshaft popped out of the transmission. As a result I lost power to my wheels. Upon further inspection I pulled out the driveshaft and the splines were fine, inside the transmission and on the driveshaft. I turned over the engine, and the right hand driveshaft was not turning, however the diff appears to be turning. Would it be likely that I have caused damage to the gearbox as there wasn't any grinding or any sounds except for the fact that I have no power to the wheels whatsoever? If so what possibly could have gone wrong?

Put it back together and see if it works before you overcomplicate things. It may be stripped spider gears (in the diff carrier) but try it first.

bennjamin
26-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Did you lose the shaft at speed?

You may of lost a considerable amount of transmission fluid - maybe all of it. This could of caused a failure of your gearbox.
( On a open diff transmission) The driveshaft locked in place creates the seal.

Check the fluid level , and reinstall the other shaft and hopefully you will get drive back

Renaissance_x
26-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Probaby just not spinning cause you have an open box as others have said.