PDA

View Full Version : NSW Blue Slip Vs Engineers Cert for engine conversions

gach2
25-05-2013, 07:50 PM
looking at purchasing a car that has had an engine conversion (nissan not honda - though thought with hondas this issue may be more common so posted here)

From what i have gathered the conversion requires an engineering certificate (pretty much 3 litre n/a converted to 2 litre turbo)

The seller is willing to sell with blueslip (car is out of rego and requires it - dont ask me how or who is doing the bluey as i have no idea)

but would there be any issues when i go to register at the rta?

i dont see how the turbo would cause any issues as the person at the rta prob wouldnt realise whether its turbo or n/a from the engine number but what about going from 3 litre > 2 litre?

2MPRS
25-05-2013, 09:19 PM
You need an engineering cert for it your changing an na motor to turbo

gach2
25-05-2013, 09:51 PM
thanks - that i know

but the cars unregistered (no plates on it atm) - so my main concern is putting rego on the vehicle

what happens after the vehicle is registered is another problem

na-118
26-05-2013, 04:59 PM
what car is it?
if he sells with blue slip you won't have trouble getting green slip and registration.

gach2
26-05-2013, 11:53 PM
its a r31 with rb20det conversion

gach2
27-05-2013, 12:09 AM
kool thx na-118

Timmy_B
27-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Give the RTA/RMS a quick call.
They can sometimes be really helpful with these things.

I had to ring them once about purchasing a ED civic with an siR conversion that had NOT been registered with the new details, was almost out of rego and had no Engineering cert.
The info I was told by RTA was to get a receipt of purchase from the current owner for the engine, and any documentation you have in regards to who carried out the conversion (if it was done via a business).
THIS should be enough info to at least get the car rego'd. Then its a matter of getting that engineer cert and changing the details with RTA

hope this helps

Limbo
31-05-2013, 06:15 PM
generally you need an engineering cert to get a blueslip.

If they give you a blue slip without the engineering certificate, then the blueslipper is the one that bears that responsibility.