PDA

View Full Version : Car Choice

zack9
26-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi,

Wife and I need a new car, I gave my 2004 Golf to my daughter so wife and I are hunting around.

Anyway our budget was $26k of the banks money as that's what we can afford in repayments.

Looked at the following:

Kazashi
Cruze 1.6
Mazda 3

Wife ruled all of the above out and so comes to Civic Vs Accord Vti. I can get a brand new Accord for $26 800 drive away as a run out. However I can get the Civic vti-l for about $23,500.

Test drove the accord and very smooth but felt enormous. I prefer the civic but think the 1.8 might be sluggish especially on the freeway, but the size is better.

So I am wondering, from experience that you guys have would the Civic be adequate and that way save $3000 ? I have read mixed reviews about its handling and test drives only give you a few km's not like a freeway run.

Advice/suggestions really appreciated.

Fredoops
03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
LOL Cruze or Kazashi

the 1.6 turbo on the Cruze is a cracker

curtis265
03-06-2013, 09:19 PM
So I am wondering, from experience that you guys have would the Civic be adequate and that way save $3000 ? I have read mixed reviews about its handling and test drives only give you a few km's not like a freeway run.

Advice/suggestions really appreciated.

Do you live out in the hills? Do you enjoy a spirited drive? If not, then why should handling be a concern?

Test drive at a dealer near the freeway - I'm sure they'll include a bit of freeway time

sensei_
03-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Test drive at a dealer near the freeway - I'm sure they'll include a bit of freeway time

when my parents purchased the legend, they took the car home for a weekend (saturday morning > monday morning). no obligation. because my parents dont believe on buying a car based on a 10min test drive.

EKVTIR-T
03-06-2013, 09:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_gkty3mGnU

zack9
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Cheers for the replies.

I test drove the Civic yesterday. Dealer wouldn't hardly let me go even offered free leather seats ( 3rd party).

Anyway car went OK nothing fantastic...adequate I suppose. Cruze Sri is very good but I question reliability. Mazda 3 very nice but rough suspension and plastic inside, the Civic is better in the cabin imo.

I generally go once per week to Newcastle to visit parents so yeah aiming for something with a bit of get up and go n the highway not after a rocket though.

I did read somewhere but cant find the link that the Accord & Civic have the same power to weight ratio.

Fredoops
04-06-2013, 12:15 AM
tried the Kazashi yet? it should be a decent ride.

zack9
04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
tried the Kazashi yet? it should be a decent ride.

No, its a nice car just pricey...out of my budget.

Honestly, if I had the extra I like the Civic sport but just too expensive and sadly no deals. Might save the money and go the Equipe 1,4 turbo at about $20k drive away it may be an acceptable compromise.

ChaosMaster
04-06-2013, 05:55 PM
1.4t Cruize is gutless. Go the 1.6t or nothing. If you do go cruising around on the fwy a lot, I would recommend a used falcodore. I don't know about the regular accord or CU2, but the last gen Mazda 6 and CL9 were terrible for FWY driving which accounts for half my trip to work. Anything over 80km/h and road noise means you really have to turn up the volume. "Sporty" suspension and low profile tyres also means jiggly ride. Driving my mates VE (earliest batch of Omega, i.e. the worst of all VE with v6 and 4sp shitbox) and that felt like a luxury limo in comparison. Same applies for my old man's 05 corolla. Small 4's just don't cut it for fwy cruising, although the 1.6t cruize is a different story.

raidbaws
04-06-2013, 09:49 PM
You didn't consider the new Ford Focus Turbo Diesel?

zack9
04-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks really for the advice. I have one issue which ruled out the Accord. I have a 750 1989 Honda Shadow ACE (love that bike) it HAS to go in the garage and only place is behind the car. So I cant really go longer than 4.7 m, rules out the 4.9m Accord.

Did see a Euro on Carsales, $30,000...way more than I want/can spend. So emailed the dealer maybe he is keen to sell and might be happy to take $27,000. If not I move on & he keeps the car. Getting a bit tough and not worried about being seen as a scab.

sensei_
04-06-2013, 11:41 PM
why care what others think of you? its your money, your car, your decision. dont care what others think, just put in an offer, because i always say an offer is better than no offer at all.

zack9
05-06-2013, 01:05 PM
why care what others think of you? its your money, your car, your decision. dont care what others think, just put in an offer, because i always say an offer is better than no offer at all.

That's it. Worse they can say is no. I have no idea what profits are on new cars I have read anywhere from 5%-20%...depending on model like base mid spec etc.

I agree as well that its my money if they want it they have to do something to get it, they are not doing me a favour. I think there are people that think the salesperson is doing they some favour if they shift the price a bit... make them work for your hard earned I say.

badenwilles
05-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Hey, I think Cruze is good it has 1.6 turbo !!

sensei_
05-06-2013, 07:37 PM
That's it. Worse they can say is no. I have no idea what profits are on new cars I have read anywhere from 5%-20%...depending on model like base mid spec etc.

I agree as well that its my money if they want it they have to do something to get it, they are not doing me a favour. I think there are people that think the salesperson is doing they some favour if they shift the price a bit... make them work for your hard earned I say.

dont think so much about the profits on anything. offer what you deem to be a fair/reasonable price and work it out from there.

ive had people offer me stupid prices on things that i want to sell. im not offended. its a yes/no answer. one guy offered to pay $10 for a $200 solid wood dining table, no point being offended

Jasemas
05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Both the old euro cu2 (03-08) and cl9 (08-present) are about 4600mm to 4750mm in length
Im sure if you can get some with reversing sensors you should be fine

stndrd
05-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Both the old euro cu2 (03-08) and cl9 (08-present) are about 4600mm to 4750mm in length
Im sure if you can get some with reversing sensors you should be fine

I think you mean 03-08 CL9 & 08-13 CU2 bro lol

For 26K you can get alot of car. Are you specifically looking at buying brand new or are you happy with something that is 3-4 years old?

Jasemas
05-06-2013, 11:05 PM

For 26K you can get alot of car. Are you specifically looking at buying brand new or are you happy with something that is 3-4 years old?

jaja :P

zack9
09-06-2013, 01:22 PM

New, because some bad past experience.

I saw a Civic Sport for $27,990 and emailed the dealer. Told him $25k, not expecting a reply. He called yesterday, couldn't/wouldn't discuss prices over the phone but told me $25k was "close". I will stick to that, if they do the deal great but if not the Mazda 3 Maxx is $24,990 drive away so maybe $23,500. I prefer the Civic Sport but at least the dealer knows I have other options and might be more willing.

stndrd
09-06-2013, 02:16 PM
My gf has a mazda3 and personally i,m not very happy with it. Hard plastics, stiffer than normal ride and it has been back to mazda 3 or 4 times for power steering issues they will not disclose

zack9
10-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Agree the Mazda is a cheap cabin. And I don't know the mechanics of why it has more power as the Civic & 3 have similar KW & Torque figures.

antony
16-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I would get a nearly new Accord Euro.

Way sportier than the regular Accord,and in a diffirent league to the Civic.

Also WAY WAY WAY better than the 3,CRUZE,AND kIZASHI.

Fredoops
16-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Get a new commodore

zack9
16-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. Commodore is too pricey as is Euro.

Looked at a Lancer LX with full leather, camera, heated seats (?), 5 & fixed servicing for $22,500 drive away. OK no class leader but a lot of gear for the price. No 100% on it but it just looks very tempting for that sort of money. Seemed to go fine, just a little noisy but to me not significantly worse than the Civic or Mazda 3.

ChaosMaster
16-06-2013, 11:52 PM
I would get a nearly new Accord Euro.

Way sportier than the regular Accord,and in a diffirent league to the Civic.

Also WAY WAY WAY better than the 3,CRUZE,AND kIZASHI.

I love my Euro too, but it's not enough to say that Euro is miles ahead of the others. The SII Cruze is a surprisingly good thing. I'm not sure about quality, being a Holden and all (although not Daewoo that people insist it is), but Honda's quality has gone backwards as well. Especially it's support for Aussie owners. No real upgrade of the drive train for a decade already, it's really nothing special. Cruze 1.6t is a gem, and ride on the SRi I tested was very nice, more comfortable than the Euro, but just as sporty. New interior is better too, and it's quieter than my CL9 (although I blame the Conti's I have for that).

Get a new commodore

This. The VF looks like a really good thing. Calais V is what I would look for.

stndrd
17-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Have you seen all the features listed as standard on the base VF? Then for $2k more you can get a SV6 manual. Beauty :D

Fredoops
17-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Have you seen all the features listed as standard on the base VF? Then for $2k more you can get a SV6 manual. Beauty :D

Went to see the new SS today.

O m g.

SS Redline, I WANT ONE

EKVTIR-T
17-06-2013, 12:38 AM
But,its a Holden

Fredoops
17-06-2013, 12:42 AM
But,its a Holden

Stopped caring the moment I sat in it and started the v8

DreadAngel
17-06-2013, 01:45 AM
You'll care when you visit the dealership several times for stupid shit...

Fredoops
17-06-2013, 10:12 AM
New Hondas are not that great these days either.

DreadAngel
17-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Yeah well they're still greater than any Australian manufacturer...

If you haven't owned a Ford or Holden... Have fun...

ChaosMaster
18-06-2013, 01:11 PM
It's really pot luck. My mate's got a VE Omega gen 1 with the crappy old AlloyTec V6 and 4 speed shitbox. The only problem his had is that his glovebox lock ****s up on him occasionally. The solution, we eventually broke the bloody thing (lock) and now it works fine, just without the locking feature that we don't need. It's on 150 000km and still going strong.

Nothing is perfect mate, I wouldn't just rely on the brand names. Trust me, I know, as I sell TV's for a living. Sony are meant to be reliable as, but I've just had 2 returns for restarting issues. Panasonic Plasma's are popular as, especially the ST60. Sold out till August, however 2 have already come back with issues. Hitachi is meant to be a budget shitty brand, but we have 3 running in the store day and night, and they're still fine (have had some returns, but no more than LG). Likewise, with cars, Toyota has had some major recalls, there were issues with Accelerator problems with their Prius. VW was thought to make solid cars, only to have media recently turn them to shit. Even for Honda, a few threads down, you'll find an owner who has his Euro drink 400ml per 1000km, that's 4 ltrs between 10 000km service intervals, and Honda is saying it's normal. Honda's used to be great, they're not anymore.

DreadAngel
18-06-2013, 02:33 PM
It's really pot luck. My mate's got a VE Omega gen 1 with the crappy old AlloyTec V6 and 4 speed shitbox. The only problem his had is that his glovebox lock ****s up on him occasionally. The solution, we eventually broke the bloody thing (lock) and now it works fine, just without the locking feature that we don't need. It's on 150 000km and still going strong.

Nothing is perfect mate, I wouldn't just rely on the brand names. Trust me, I know, as I sell TV's for a living. Sony are meant to be reliable as, but I've just had 2 returns for restarting issues. Panasonic Plasma's are popular as, especially the ST60. Sold out till August, however 2 have already come back with issues. Hitachi is meant to be a budget shitty brand, but we have 3 running in the store day and night, and they're still fine (have had some returns, but no more than LG). Likewise, with cars, Toyota has had some major recalls, there were issues with Accelerator problems with their Prius. VW was thought to make solid cars, only to have media recently turn them to shit. Even for Honda, a few threads down, you'll find an owner who has his Euro drink 400ml per 1000km, that's 4 ltrs between 10 000km service intervals, and Honda is saying it's normal. Honda's used to be great, they're not anymore.

You haven't told me anything I don't know ;)

As for Honda, I haven't touched a Honda newer than 04' so :p

One Ford in the family was ok with only usual issues of electrics going haywire... The next one just about everything wrong... Having said that, if your mechanics mention to you when you roll up, "I see this all the time with this car" well... That's an indication?

ChaosMaster
18-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Yeah, it's also why I won't touch a first gen of any car. By second gen, they tend to have ironed out some of the problems, most of the major ones anyways. Which is why I like the VF, they basically got rid of most of the stuff I hated about it (crappy auto gearbox, crappy interior, stupid handbrake and power window switches being in the centre console instead of door). Same goes for the Cruze, first gen was shit, even if production was moved to Australia, it had carry over design and parts. With the sII, they fixed up the engine and gearbox, retuned the suspension and made all round improvements. Not sure how the old Cruze was as I never owned one or spent enough time in one, but the new one seems promising during the test drive I took. Good value too, with SRi-V being available sub 30k, and comes with just about everything. When a car's weakness is it's Badge (not as bad as the Italians or french mind), and it's styling (it's not ugly though), you know it's a good thing.

DreadAngel
18-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Dear god lets not go near Italian/French cars lolz

Fredoops
18-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Dear god lets not go near Italian/French cars lolz

Don't knock it till you tried it.

I'd rate a RenaultSport clio (esp the 1st and 2nd gen) to be better than DC's stock to stock,

stndrd
18-06-2013, 11:35 PM

I'd rate a RenaultSport clio (esp the 1st and 2nd gen) to be better than DC's stock to stock,

I agree that the french can make a great car to drive, but do more than 10,000km and you will forever regret it and just about want to stab yourself in the neck everytime you start it up....

DreadAngel
18-06-2013, 11:56 PM

Tried it, fun to drive, nightmare to own... I've driven an assorted number of French cars [206 GTi, Renault Clio 172 Cup, etc] and owned for a bit a seductive Italian car [Alfa 156 GTA]... So I do know the fiery and fun passion they give but ownership wise hmmm... I'll let you ponder how much trouble I had with friends cars and my own...

curtis265
19-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I agree that the french can make a great car to drive, but do more than 10,000km and you will forever regret it and just about want to stab yourself in the neck everytime you start it up....

I have been close topeople who can confirm this..

ChaosMaster
20-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Yeah, even the newer ones were questionable. From memory, I remember driving a mate's Alfa 147 and I swear the steering and pedals weren't in alignment, more the left of the seat, so you weren't sitting comfortable or straight. My cousin has a 307, and servicing it is a near impossibility. Don't even know how to drain the bloody oil. Heck, I can't even get a bloody trolly jack under the front of it to get to the jack up point. When she first got it, the Auto wipers were a nightmare. A little spray would have the wipers go max out (on Hi, not the continuous Low we normally use when it rains), yet during a drizzle, it would be confused about weather it wants to be fast or slow. I'm sure a Renualt Sport would be good fun, but only during the 10% time it's working, the other 90% will have you venting out of your ears.

DreadAngel
20-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah, even the newer ones were questionable. From memory, I remember driving a mate's Alfa 147 and I swear the steering and pedals weren't in alignment, more the left of the seat, so you weren't sitting comfortable or straight. My cousin has a 307, and servicing it is a near impossibility. Don't even know how to drain the bloody oil. Heck, I can't even get a bloody trolly jack under the front of it to get to the jack up point. When she first got it, the Auto wipers were a nightmare. A little spray would have the wipers go max out (on Hi, not the continuous Low we normally use when it rains), yet during a drizzle, it would be confused about weather it wants to be fast or slow. I'm sure a Renualt Sport would be good fun, but only during the 10% time it's working, the other 90% will have you venting out of your ears.

Hehehe, I tried a 147 GTA... That was 'fun'... Offset to the side, no traction or LSD with a 3.2L V6 and FWD...

flop101
01-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Hehehe, I tried a 147 GTA... That was 'fun'... Offset to the side, no traction or LSD with a 3.2L V6 and FWD...
put the q2 diff in it and then take it for a spin. the 147gta is an animal.