PDA

View Full Version : 1986 AH civic fuel troubles

RLiddy
26-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey all,

I have a 1986 AH civic with the 1.5l EW2 carby engine in it. Its a track car so it doesn't get run very much.
I rebuilt the carb about 1 month ago. It started and ran well after a bit of tuning.
I started it for the first time since then today, let it warm up and then shut it off. About 20 min later there was a very strong fuel smell coming from the engine bay. I had a look around and there was fuel flowing out of the carb. It is a 2 barrel keihin. I noticed that there is fuel pooling inside the secondary barrel on top of the butterfly valve. It then seeps out of the carb through the hole the butterfly support sits in.
I then pulled off the fuel feed line and there is fuel flowing out of it... Now it uses a mechanical fuel pump, the car was on a level surface and the battery was disconnected.
I left the fuel line off to save from flooding the engine. I plugged it and left it in the engine bay. I have been checking it every so often and several hours later it is still flowing out of the line.
My only thought is that there is a pressure build up inside the fuel tank, probably temperature related and that is whats causing the fuel to flow.
Has anyone encountered this before, or have any suggestions on how to go about stopping it? The other thoughts I had are something to do with the pump being bad or maybe fuel filter stuffing something up?

Thanks,

Reece

RLiddy
27-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I think i have figured it out. Pulled the top of the carb off today and the needle was stuck open with a little bit of dirt meaning the fuel would not stop filling up the bowl, causing the overflow into the barrel.
The fuel did eventually stop flowing out of the line so i guess it builds up pressure in the tank while running then slowly releases it.