PDA

View Full Version : Tightening Up Steering EK1

UkuleleGod
28-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Hi there,

I have an EK1 hatch that I am doing some slight handling mods to. I am about to have a 26mm front sway bar installed, but I was just wondering of any ways to tighten up the steering a bit. What parts fail on these and is there any way to adjust the power steering?

Cheers,

Mark

sebtoombs
28-05-2013, 03:15 PM
New ball joints should help, along with a steering alignment (duh), flush the p/s fluid. Other than that, you're looking at new tie-rod ends.
Tie-rod ends and ball joints are pains. It'd probably be easier to buy a new rack. Still putting a new rack in is a PITA too. I'd start with a good alignment and flush the p/s fluid to make sure its running correctly. Also check p/s pump belt tension to ensure its operating at peak pressure. However that probably won't change much unless your p/s is fundamentally broken, as p/s doesn't actually do anything except at low speed.

After that, if you really want to optimise steering you need to look at things such as kingpin inclination, toe, steering axis inclination and hence scrub radius, camber etc.

grifty
28-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Look into buying or borrowing a rack guide tool to adjust the free play in the rack. This should be done regularly.

Lift your suspension up and check for any free play in the rack ends or tie rods, hold the tyre at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and move it left to right. You will be able to feel any free play and investigate further.

And no it will be easier to change the tie rods and rack ends as opposed to changing the whole rack....

sebtoombs
29-05-2013, 03:58 PM
And no it will be easier to change the tie rods and rack ends as opposed to changing the whole rack....

righto. The only EK I've worked on was a wrecked EK4. Everything was bent haha.

edit: and I'm not really sure why I didn't say rack guide screw adjust.... that should probably be first step.

Glocker
01-06-2013, 10:22 PM
buy an ek9 subframe + steering rack, and a smaller diameter steering wheel than stock