PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Master Cylinder

Jay raY
26-03-2005, 08:11 AM
hey i've been told my clutch master cylinder is leakin a bit, do i need to fix this right away??? what damages can it cause to my car??????

Fattony
26-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Mine has been leaking for a while now, i just keep it topped up, it still works fine and i done about 20000km since i noticed it, i would change it but i hate getting in under the dash

Eclipsor
26-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I got mine resleaved a month or two ago. I noticed cuz the clutch wasn't engaging when I first turned the car on. Cost about $95. dunno if I could have gone on just topping it up, but I had the money then so I did it. As long as it isn't leaking too much and you can keep it topped up enough so as to not let air into the system you should be ok to let it go. Even with not much fluid in mine it was still changing gears after it warmed up. The air expanded I guess?

dorikin
26-03-2005, 04:28 PM
You should get it fixed as soon as you can.
If the whole master cylinder lets go you won't be able to disengage the clutch.

Fattony
28-03-2005, 10:49 AM
You should get it fixed as soon as you can.
If the whole master cylinder lets go you won't be able to disengage the clutch.

Heh i remember when i broke the clutch PEDAL in a proton gti as i was changing into second gear, drove that home in 2nd gear all the way, thank shit it was 1 in the morning and didnt get a traffic light.

Though if your clucth master does go you can still change gear if you disengage your gear and get the rpm right it will slip into gear no problems, good luck with traffic lights though.

dundas
28-03-2005, 11:16 AM
eclipsor, $95 whats resleaving, if that solves the problem i wanna do da to mine

viperx
28-03-2005, 12:20 PM
you can take it off the car ur self and send it to a clutch mechanic to rip the cylinder apart and change the sleeves inside. or just get a recond'ed one. remember to bleed ur system properly afterwards

Eclipsor
28-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Like viper said. It's basically just reconditioning it. Replace all the bits that wear in it. Mines good as new now. The $95 was just for the work on the master cylinder. I took it out and took it to them myself. Try and find the place what will actually do the work themselves though. Cuz I went to this mechanic because they were close but all they did was send it to another place to do the work. So I had to pay $8 postage or something.

PhatSol
28-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Try and find the place what will actually do the work themselves though. Cuz I went to this mechanic because they were close but all they did was send it to another place to do the work. So I had to pay $8 postage or something.

Any ideas who does this in Brisbane? My clutch master is leaking very slowly out around the rod.

Eclipsor
28-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty sure this place does: BHSS 5/123 Muriel Ave Moorooka (3426 9555) or 58 Abbotsford Rd Bowen Hills (3216 1655). I just went through the brake and clutch services section of the yellow pages.

Spoon-Accord
28-03-2005, 01:48 PM
well i just replace my master and slave as well..

master is on the firewall of the car..

the slave one is located on the tranmission.(depends on wat engine and car)

if any guys in melb needs any help.. i can alwayz help u buy it and fit it with minimal cost :D

also. leaking may cause paint peeling from inside the cabin causing rust(u cant see it.. but it happens cause brake fuild strips paint)

but yeh.. when u go for a long long drive.. the pedal will feel very soft.. and somtimes(in my case) sit on the floor.. so u cant shift or anything

Kenny

Ozwolfbane
29-03-2005, 07:13 PM
$95 ??? !!!! New master cylinder costs : 81$ and $ 73 for slave ...

Thats for a Honda Prelude 93

PhatSol
29-03-2005, 07:29 PM
$95 ??? !!!! New master cylinder costs : 81$ and $ 73 for slave ...

Thats for a Honda Prelude 93

From honda dealer?

Ozwolfbane
29-03-2005, 08:05 PM
yeh genuine

Nuttz
30-03-2005, 01:03 AM
i replaced mine recently... the old one was stripping the paint!!!

SINISTR
30-03-2005, 01:19 AM
thsi is sooo interesting this thread just came up.

My Gfs car the other day had no fluid in the clutch system what so ever - we didn't know that (my car is cable so don't know much abotu hydro).

anyways - the master cyl is leaking - i went to honda and they sold me a slave cylinder instead :( so need to swap it for the master one...

but yeah - change is ASAP - we were at the stage where NO gear would go in or out - with the fluid filled up. Once you get some air in there - its all over - need to bleed the system... easier to replace... and cheap enough too...