PDA

View Full Version : Slotted vs Blank rotors

UNA91
03-06-2013, 10:56 PM
In the process of upgrading my brakes, was wondering whats better in terms of stopping power? Blanks or slotted? Drilled is not an option for obvious reasons.

Now i've done my research and its been 50/50, some say there's no difference in stopping power, and pads these days don't emit gas so we don't need slotted. It some say it also reduces surface area for braking and it eats away pads like a cheese grater. However, i've also heard it reduces fade, and cleans the pads giving it a new surface for it to grab on, and also better initial biting point due to the slots.... :S

As for blanks... well, better surface area and pad life, but more prone to fade and glazing which causes warping?

Driving is mostly daily, but i do enjoy the occasional spirited drives on the highway and on the mountains/twisties. :angel:

EGVTi
04-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Slotted rotors are better because they can deal with high braking temperatures, last longer and don't warp as fast as normal rotors AFAIK.
In your application, you should just change the fronts to slotted and keep the rears blank.

P.S slotted rotors give you that racecar look :)

DreadAngel
04-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Slotted rotors are better because they can deal with high braking temperatures, last longer and don't warp as fast as normal rotors AFAIK.
In your application, you should just change the fronts to slotted and keep the rears blank.

P.S slotted rotors give you that racecar look :)

The benefits of slotted rotors is to keep the surface clean and aid in removing heat + water from the surface.

High Braking Temp durability is more dependent on material used and procedures such as heat treatment.

bennjamin
04-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Just my input

In ANY road driving - there is no noticeable advantage in slotted vs blank rotors.
If you are a track addict , it maybe a consideration to have good quality ( not rda or other Chinese made discs) slotted rotors to prevent build up on discs and prevent fade / increase longevity

trism
04-06-2013, 09:06 AM
^ this guy.

EG5
04-06-2013, 04:59 PM
We got DBA 4000 series t3 slotted front rotors in stock

mugsee
05-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Just my input

In ANY road driving - there is no noticeable advantage in slotted vs blank rotors.
If you are a track addict , it maybe a consideration to have good quality ( not rda or other Chinese made discs) slotted rotors to prevent build up on discs and prevent fade / increase longevity

I'd agree with Ben that you won't fine any differences between slotted and blanks on the road with spirited driving, etc.

On the track, I'd say so long as you have supporting mods like appropriate pads, braided brake lines and decent brake fluid, you'd also be hard pressed to notice a difference performance wise.

Oh, and RDA rotors aren't that bad at all. I'm onto my 5th track day with my current set of solid RDA rotors and have given them a bit of punishment.

curtis265
05-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Just my input

this x 10

DreadAngel
05-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Just my input

For sure agree!

On the issue of good quality rotors, this is very important when using pads that are more aggressive than stock pads. Match application with pads + rotors + tyres and you'll be fine. Its when people don't consider the relationship between all four that things go very wrong [Warped disc, locking wheels, squeaking cold brakes, etc].

EG5
06-06-2013, 12:32 AM
We used RDA slotted rotors on our EGK24A when it was NA set up
They last around 3 track days with PMU HC+ or Ferodo DS2500 or DS3000
Cooling down lap is a must after hot laps