PDA

View Full Version : Removing window tinting

4thgeneCivic
26-03-2005, 11:43 PM
hey pplz...
can you guys tell me how to remove the window tinting??...
cheerz~~

BlacKEGPedroew
27-03-2005, 12:08 AM
razor blade, elbow greese and a whole day of spare time

panda[cRx]
27-03-2005, 12:21 AM
i guess a heat gun would help?

flipmods
27-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Easiet way is a scraper blade to start it off and a steamer. I did mine overa month ago and when I scraped it off it took ages and left alot of residue that had to be cleaned up with degreaser but with the steaamer it came off almost in one piece.

good luck.

bennjamin
27-03-2005, 11:19 AM
pay a professional liek $50 and they will remove the lot.

SHWCARCIVIC
27-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Heat gun, scraper, and a product called Orange Solve to get the glue off. You can get this product at any chemical supply store.
Theres two layers of film: the first one will come off in one piece and you wont need to heat it up, thats the protective film for the tint film. The second is the actual tint/coloured film makes sure you heat the film and then peel it off slowly bit by bit, always make sure its heated otherwise it will rip off in really tiny pieces.
Once the tint is off spray the Orange Solve on and wait till it becomes like jelly and wipe it off. Thats what I did when I removed the tint of my windows and make sure you have a whole day and a lot of patience.

I dont think you'll find someone to do it for $50 its a bit of work.

mj3610
27-03-2005, 12:47 PM
my tints are coming off from the top of the front drivers window, im gonna take the tint off and a friend told me just peel off the tint and use a product called 'prepsol' to remove the tar and sticky stuff, if you never done it before just try one window at a time and be patient is what everyone tells me cause its not easy removing factory tints since they're done so well.

[ slayer ]
27-03-2005, 02:14 PM
pay tintacar $50 to do it. quicker than u doing it yourself, and should get a better result (ie, no residue or scratches)

aznsiko
27-03-2005, 02:16 PM
hey just out of interest... is there gon be a tinting day held soon in syd?? cos i wana retint my windows.. CHEAP.. lol

garett
27-03-2005, 08:19 PM
you will be so angry and annoyed with your car because there will be big skidmarks down your windows

trust me get someone else to do it!

VTC-8OY
27-03-2005, 10:29 PM
not worth the time and effort considering how cheap it cost to get it done

bumpy1
28-03-2005, 05:11 AM
a mate of mine used wet glad wrap and stuck it on his windows overnight and he removed them fine (day before his defect clearance).

but like everyone else is saying, i would go to a pro myself! :D

MR-VTEC
28-03-2005, 09:45 AM
hey,

well i decided to remove my tint yesterday and all i used was a butter knife to peel up a corner and it peeled straight off but then i thought it was a bit too easy and realised it was made up of two layers. doh. the second layer flakes so i did a search and came up with this -

http://doityourself.com/auto/automotivetintremoval.htm

it makes sense, dont know about the ammonia though. but yeah im gonna try it today and i'll let ya know how i go.;)

hope this helps.

MR-VTEC
28-03-2005, 09:52 AM
oh i found another one pretty similiar but with pictures to go with the steps.;)

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20021101tr.html#

panda[cRx]
28-03-2005, 05:24 PM
well i decided to remove my tint yesterday and all i used was a butter knife to peel up a corner and it peeled straight off but then i thought it was a bit too easy and realised it was made up of two layers. doh. the second layer flakes

isnt that was SHWCARCIVIC said?:rolleyes:

lol

temeike
28-03-2005, 05:42 PM
heat gun id what i use.

BADHBT
28-03-2005, 09:08 PM
took mine off with a razor blade, and wd40!
petrol works too!

tegboy
28-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Use soapy water an #000 steel wool to remove the glue. A steamer will work well too.

It a bitch of a job, I am still getting glue from my windows, I have been told Citrus based cleaners work, but I worry about getting them on my leather and fading it too much.

crispy
28-03-2005, 09:52 PM
I think steam would work the best but if you still need some pointers heres a link to an integra site http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=686

bumpy1
28-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Use soapy water an #000 steel wool to remove the glue. A steamer will work well too.

It a bitch of a job, I am still getting glue from my windows, I have been told Citrus based cleaners work, but I worry about getting them on my leather and fading it too much.

i've used this natural citrus base product called de-solv-it and it removes stains, sticky labels, crayon, succ marks, grease oil, wax, chewing gum etc

pretty good stuff as it removed all my sticky stuff left over when i removed my stickers on my car today.

also heard you can use eucalyptus oil of some sort.

Kandy
28-03-2005, 11:31 PM

I wouldn't use the steel wool!
On my old car, I removed some paint overspray from the front windscreen with it, and it left alot of very very minute scratches.

crx
29-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Use steamer but and it will still take ages......

kez13
29-03-2005, 09:45 AM
You could always go down to a shop who does window tinting and ask them to do it for you, I dont think it costs too much money. If they cant do it Im sure they will let you know the best way for you to get it off.
:)

4thgeneCivic
29-03-2005, 11:27 AM
i just need to remove one window tint...damn...

zco
29-03-2005, 11:33 AM
do it proffesionally. 50 bucks is cheap. quick and easy. and you can watch how they do it, and then do it yourself if you can the next time. ! ahha goodluck !

tegboy
29-03-2005, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't use the steel wool!
On my old car, I removed some paint overspray from the front windscreen with it, and it left alot of very very minute scratches.

#000 won't scratch (you can buy it from hardware stores_ use it wet., #00 (brillo pads, jex pads) will scratch...

This what the tint shops use.....

MR-VTEC
29-03-2005, 06:51 PM
well i tried it today and I RECOMMEND PAYING SOMEONE TO DO IT!!! well this applies to the rear window and if your tint is really old. the bottom of the window is hard to access and you have to be mindfull of the demister lines. i got about 80% through it and im just gonna get a tint shop to finish the bottom edge as it is very hard for me to access so unless you got the time and could really put in the effort to do it i recommend just paying the $50 odd dollars to get it done profeesionally.

jdm_b16a
29-03-2005, 07:06 PM
I removed the tint (10 years old but still in good condition, just going purple) on all four windows of my EH sedan in about 2 hours with a blade and Wax/Grease Remover to clean up.

The rear window is the hardest part. The bottom is inaccessible.

My tint was all crazed (hence reason to remove all tint for new) on the rear window. I scraped off the top third but the area around the demister is almost impossible. I used a heat gun on the outside (get someone to help you) and then peeled off the tint.

Unfortunately, when I contacted my friend who runs a tint business, he informed me that the tint was double-layered (and the bottom layer was still on the window)and that the only solution was to use a blade - hence destroying the demister. As I leave for work early I need the demister to assist with backing up the long driveway and travelling the freeway. The other problem is that most tint places do your rear window in three strips of tint!

Solution. I purchased an untinted rear window ($125), tested the demister before taking it, and then had a window guy take the old window out, have the tint applied (in one piece) and then the new window put in ($80).

The demister works and I have a spare window.

Beats hours of work and cut hands from the blade!

waymad
30-03-2005, 08:59 AM
hey
i remove the tint off my civic i used rezor blade to take the tint off and than i used metholated spirits to get the stickey stuff off which one window total toke about 1 hour to have it done right.
the back window is hard for me as i had a hatchback and u have to go around the rear demiser

kez13
30-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Save any hassells and just go and get it done professionally.....trust me! it's worth the $50......