PDA

View Full Version : OIL FILTER CHANGE

dcii_sir
02-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone of you guys have tried changing an oil filter from a b16a ?? I cant get it out at all. I have the tools here but there's just not enough space to use it. I tried from all angles to no avail and in the process scratches my hand and knuckles.. FU@K.... Any ideas from anyone ??

vti-2
02-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Hey Chris, mine was a mole to get out as well. Keep at it mate, you will get it out. I took some skin off the first time i took mine out, and burnt my knuckles to the f@ck.

dcii_sir
02-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Hmm.. too late.. i cant be stuffed now.. i just topped up my engine oil and i will get a mechanic to do it next time round and I'll make sure he doesnt put it too tight.. :D Also , its like all the way under the car.. i cant be stuffed spending so much time under the car.. hehe.. could be fatal if it falls.. just a phobia.

vti-2
02-01-2004, 05:01 PM
You should always change your oil filter with an oil change. I don't think it's a good idea not to. :?

I know what you mean about being stuck under the car for long too. Why do you think i lost skin and burnt my knuckles. I hate being stuck under a car.

KnfUzn
02-01-2004, 05:12 PM
itrs easy man... well not really... but get ur car up on stand or sumfn.... u have to do it from underneath.... or else u'll slice ur rist... chnage both the oil and filter.... or else the shit from the filter will mix in with ur good oil...

ginganggooly
02-01-2004, 06:16 PM
i've always been told to change the oil every 5k and the filter every 10k.
personally, i've always changed both every 5k. so who knows :)

Redteg
02-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Yee, as has been said, its easiest to reach the oil filter from underneath the car, just make sure you don't get oil all over you!

Try a filter wrench, if that doesn't work, some have successfully tried jamming a screwdriver in the filter and used that to remove it. Personally, I use my muscles (because I don't screw it on so tight that it fuses to the block).

With my B18A propelled G2 Teg I can reach in from the passenger side under the intake manifold and with a bit of effort, remove the filter.

Rowie
02-01-2004, 06:53 PM
easiest way I found if its too tight to un-do by hand, just get a long screw driver and hit the end of it with a hammer..... its a bitch to try and get any oil filter tools in there to get her lose :(

poid
02-01-2004, 07:57 PM
there is a specific position that the wrench should be in and then its easy-as...otherwise its a fricken pain and you end up with skinned knuckles and third degree burns!

Cant really explain it though, you have to have a filter wrench that can twist around a bit and then there is enough space

BLKCRX
02-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Just a note on oil filters... use Honda oil filters only !! trust me ;)
cut a honda one open.. and a aftermarket one and compair them... lots of difference ;)

Regards James

jenova
02-01-2004, 10:18 PM
I did it by using my bare hand, turn it hard in counterclockwise direction. And let the car cool down 1st before doing it ( u don't want to get fried when the engine oil spills out).

crx
03-01-2004, 12:58 AM
You can use a special tool which is like a cap that goes over the filter, You can attach a socket wrench to this cap and open the filter easily. I think you can purchase it from honda.

Civic Si
03-01-2004, 09:32 AM
I always change my oil when da engine is cool. That way u don't burn urself.

I don't usually have trouble changin my filter on my B16A2. I always spin it off by hand, saving da trouble from using tools! :)

Rowie
03-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Its best to take the car for a 10min drive first before changing the oil, so that all of the old oil spills out, otherwise your still leaving old oil bogged up in there :? :)

whats the difference between the aftermarket filter and a honda one James? and the price difference?

I dont have a honda filter lying around to cut open :D

Still, the quickest way IMO is the screw driver and hammer, takes 1min :)

cheers

Nuttz
03-01-2004, 08:11 PM
apparently the honda oil filter has a anti-drain back valve or something. So when u turn off the engine there is still oil in the filter. So when u turn your car on again the oil will get back to the top of the motor again quickly :)

Setanta
03-01-2004, 11:28 PM
B16A you should be able to do it from the top with the ratchet tool that has 3 legs that adjust and grip (unless you have one of the new shitty honda tiny filters :? ). I can get it from there with my SiR.

Oil changes should be 2 to every filter - I do 6000 to 8000km changes and change the filter every second time.

Honda filters are a must, they cost almost the same as generic ones and are better quality.

257,000kms and going strong :)

Boost
07-01-2004, 05:21 PM
where do you guys dump your old oil?.. ive got bottles pilled up at home.. dont know how to get rid of them. Im thinking i should just dump them at the local mechanics at night or something. Removing the filter is a pain, i think it comes down to using ya muscles.

Rowie
07-01-2004, 05:52 PM
your local Tip has OIL dumping facilities :D

BlakTegra
08-01-2004, 11:25 AM
I've heard that you could try stabbing ur oil filter with a screw driver?

Ask your local council about dumping ur oils.