PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Coil Over Springs..

aznsiko
27-03-2005, 11:07 AM
hey guys does any body know anything about the coil over spring kits that are available on ebay?? ive been told you can buy the kits and turn your standard shocks into adjustable coil overs.. what do ya wrekn??

bennjamin
27-03-2005, 11:25 AM
those are "coilover sleeves".

a budget way to lower your car. US boys go crazy over "ground control" coilover sleeves....i dotn suggest u buy these tho.

Just get a set of kmac or king super low sprigns for a cheap reate and get teh same result.

FR33K
27-03-2005, 11:32 AM
heres a thought

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17481

__arjay__
27-03-2005, 11:59 PM
wat the hell benjamin

budget way? quite frankly coilover sleeves are beneficial. If you dont wanna fork out 2k for the whole adjustable coilover shocks.

If you are looking to purchase coilover sleeves just dont get any other brand but Ground control or Skunk2. Ground control use eibach springs which would be better than any cheap kmac or king springs.. comon.. they are mega budget springs and dont offer the same result or benefits. For example, if you someday want to purchase a body kit and your not "rich" to buy another set of springs. You can basically adjust them.

Reason for these ground controls being soo cheap is because integras are soo popular in america so keeping the prices lower helps them compete with other competitors.

I'm not sure if you know too much but dont be knocking something you have no experience with.. Or prove me wrong. ^_^

Damn flamers!!! -_-

dudeling7
28-03-2005, 12:08 AM
I am quite interested in getting a set of these ground controls, how can they be that bad ben? they are beneficial over king springs and kmacs because you can adjust the height easily when you want. Thats the main reason im interested it gives you flexibility with the same springs. Obviously they are not as good as full adjustable coilover setups but they are good in other ways if you dont have a that big a budget.

__arjay__
28-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Exactly! dude...

And eibach springs are much better than kmac and king springs anyday!

bennjamin
28-03-2005, 12:41 AM
I am quite interested in getting a set of these ground controls, how can they be that bad ben? they are beneficial over king springs and kmacs because you can adjust the height easily when you want. Thats the main reason im interested it gives you flexibility with the same springs. Obviously they are not as good as full adjustable coilover setups but they are good in other ways if you dont have a that big a budget.

You guys seem to miss my point entirely , in which is not a "flame" agaisnt you :rolleyes:

It is though -

these "coilover sleeves" will never go lower than the lowest perch on any shocks - since the adjustable thread sits atop it.

So....purchasing koni yellows , *lowered* sprigns and these would be a waste of money since you actually cant go any lower.

As you can see , purchasing coilver sleeves is not needed , as seemingly they cannot go any lower than the lowest perch on any shock IE that , which the spring already sits.
Feel free to correct me with schematics of the design too - as I have onyl had a brief look over the install info that came with a friends coilover sleeves.

Get Koni yellows + eibachs ( like i do !) and that is all you need.
Otherwise fork out the doish for real coilvers that u can dump

__arjay__
28-03-2005, 12:53 AM
lol thanx for clearing that up.

I guess you cant DUMP it but being a daily driver of my teg id prefer not to have it that low. So these are fine for my current needs.

Ground control use eibach! so its the same but slight more adjustable :P

bennjamin
28-03-2005, 01:01 AM
lol thanx for clearing that up.

I guess you cant DUMP it but being a daily driver of my teg id prefer not to have it that low. So these are fine for my current needs.

Ground control use eibach! so its the same but slight more adjustable :P

:D

Anyone got any personal reviews of these "ground control" on any type of shocks ?!?

faijai
28-03-2005, 01:20 AM
whats beneficial about it?
i dont see anythimg out of those sleeves besides that their cheap.
if u wanna do sumfing do it right the first go. get urself real coil overs. or sum shocks + springs liek ben said. if u like the springs get hansen to get u a set. 400 bux or so! bargain!!

__arjay__
28-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Personal reviews are found on g2ic.com or even honda-tech.com.

But from my experience already.. they are much better than stock struts. Ill tell you about them on Koni's in a few months or so :P

Ground controls are done right... the price seems low but your just underestimating them.

mr crex
28-03-2005, 02:18 AM
I wouldnt put lowering springs or coilover sleeves on stock shocks to begin with... your ride will handle like sh*t and in no time your shocks will be dead.

the stock shocks are designed to handle the spring rate that come with the stock springs.

if you plan on lowering your car I cant stress enough to do it properly the first time...
ie: getting lowered springs/coilover sleeves and sports shocks (Koni yellow's or the like) or getting a decent set of coilovers.

edit: oh and a friend had these ground controls on his turbo crx... they seemed ok for street use ... he did drag his car and they seemed to hold up fine ... your suspension should depend on what kind of application of driving you wish to do, just for show/street driving coilover sleeves would be fine, but if you wish to track or strip your car I would invest in good coilovers.

FR33K
28-03-2005, 02:28 AM
whats beneficial about it?
i dont see anythimg out of those sleeves besides that their cheap.
if u wanna do sumfing do it right the first go. get urself real coil overs. or sum shocks + springs liek ben said. if u like the springs get hansen to get u a set. 400 bux or so! bargain!!

firstly you havent tried them so you cant say theyre shit
secondly, "REAL" coilovers are expensive.. maybe u can afford them but others cant..
thirdly, why would u buy a set of springs that u cant adjust and get stuck on one height (kings etc) when u can buy these for the same price

__arjay__
28-03-2005, 02:35 AM
mr crex..

i know the stress im putting on my stock shocks and i acknowledge that but i intend in getting some koni yellows soon.. some of us are still young and cant afford to buy everything at once.

But atleast you know that the ground controls handle okay.. My car is strictly daily driven only. If in the future i intend in getting more serious i know to get a proper coilover system. Im not that dense! :)

stocky
28-03-2005, 10:42 AM
they cannot go any lower than the lowest perch on any shock IE that , which the spring already sits.

but it compensates this with a shorter spring length but with higher spring rates.

bennjamin
28-03-2005, 11:44 AM
secondly, "REAL" coilovers are expensive.. maybe u can afford them but others cant..
thirdly, why would u buy a set of springs that u cant adjust and get stuck on one height (kings etc) when u can buy these for the same price

I am not sayign they are "shite" IMO.

REAL coilovers range from $1000 new thru to about $6000....for a full suspension setup there is something in everyones bracket.Compared to say koni yellows + eibach springs + these ( probably in excess of $1500) coilovers in teh first places seems more feasible.

And , why would you want to "adjust" height - when you can only go HIGHER ? Coilover sleeves can only go as low as the lowest perch on any given shock can allow.
For example, Koni yellows have 3 levels of adjustment via clips. Using coilver sleeves as well , would enable many levels inbetween adjustment BUT you wont be able to go ANY lower than the lowest perch.

but it compensates this with a shorter spring length but with higher spring rates.

This setup is usually used with "eibach" springs ( or watever springs really) - compressing normally progressive springs to achieve " a higher rate" would put the springs past the normal load rating and uncharacteristic wear and tear would result.

stocky
28-03-2005, 01:24 PM
I am not sayign they are "shite" IMO.

REAL coilovers range from $1000 new thru to about $6000....for a full suspension setup there is something in everyones bracket.Compared to say koni yellows + eibach springs + these ( probably in excess of $1500) coilovers in teh first places seems more feasible.

And , why would you want to "adjust" height - when you can only go HIGHER ? Coilover sleeves can only go as low as the lowest perch on any given shock can allow.
For example, Koni yellows have 3 levels of adjustment via clips. Using coilver sleeves as well , would enable many levels inbetween adjustment BUT you wont be able to go ANY lower than the lowest perch.

This setup is usually used with "eibach" springs ( or watever springs really) - compressing normally progressive springs to achieve " a higher rate" would put the springs past the normal load rating and uncharacteristic wear and tear would result.

With real coilovers, you can't go much lower than a desired setting anyway since you will need to keep pre-load on the spring.

Back to what I said before, you can adjust the sleeve lower than a lowering spring because the length of the spring is shorter, hence when you can adjust it all the way to the bottom perch, it will sit lower or as low as a a lowering spring.

Also, the springs in the sleeves are usually linear rates, although some have helper springs to achieve different rates.

bennjamin
28-03-2005, 10:23 PM
With real coilovers, you can't go much lower than a desired setting anyway since you will need to keep pre-load on the spring.

Back to what I said before, you can adjust the sleeve lower than a lowering spring because the length of the spring is shorter, hence when you can adjust it all the way to the bottom perch, it will sit lower or as low as a a lowering spring.

Also, the springs in the sleeves are usually linear rates, although some have helper springs to achieve different rates.

From what ive seen ( only US boys) - no matter what type of spring , it cannot be adjust lower than the lowests perch it sits atop. Unless ofcourse , there is a coilver type straight spring which is far shorter , and can be used with this setup more effectively.

Any reviews anyone ?

g3vtir
29-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Guys,

I got a set of Drop Zone coilover sleeves with Bilstein shocks and it feels great...excellent handling, it doesn't bottom out and its a good ride...a friend who owns a DC2 Type R drove it and said it feels like his car or even better which is on stock suspensions. Hardly any body roll too.

By the way, the Drop Zone springs that are on it are short so it does drop quite low when you wind the perches all the way down.

Only bad things about adjusting them all the time is that you gotta redo the alignment because it affects the toe of the car.

So yeah thats my review on coilover sleeves, i think in the end, it all comes down to the shocks as well.

faijai
29-03-2005, 12:43 AM

hey man i didnt say there shit. and yes ur right, i havent tried them be4. I have asked aorund about these and most fo the feedback i get is that coilover sleevs dont do any improvemtn for the car. plus with these you need shocks anywaise unless you plan to use stock shocks? shocks say koni yellows + the ground control coil over sleves you have equate to aorund 1000-1200. Same price as many other affordable solutions and recommended solutions in lowering ur car.

LO_N_SXC
29-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Just reading this thread shows me how lucky I was to have my car already lowered professionally, it Has Tokiko 5 way adjustable shocks and Jackson Racing springs and I can tell you the thing feels like on rails! for the street thats all you need, but the sleeves do make lots of convinience, like Arjay said you can alter the height of the car when ever you wish and if you are a person like me ( gets lots of Defect notices ) the sleeves can come in to play a great deal, I tend to see the sleeves as an up grade only sort of thing then folowed by full coilover struts which would be like a ultimate ride handling for street/Track use but even then these become unconfortable for the street! I guess it really depends on your intentions you have set for your car? Street/track/Drag........ its really up to you but IMO: sleeves should be looked at as an up grade from short throw shock and springs ( like I have ) and the next step would be coil over struts!

mr crex
29-03-2005, 11:14 AM
if you get a decent set of coilovers with damper adjustability then you dont have to sacrifice street comfortablility too much...

on the old TeinHA's I had in the ITR for track I would have the damper set to a high amount then on the street I would have it set to medium-low... and it felt pretty much the same as the stock ITR struts.

another alternative (which I am doing now) is to get 2 sets of coilover springs, a set for track use and a set for street use.