PDA

View Full Version : torque/power loss whilst coasting/cruising

Baby Face
13-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Lately i have noticed a sort of loss in responsiveness.
i know my own car and when i should expect torque in what gear and what speeds, lately though it feels as if the car whilst coasting along the power seems to dissapear but the engine revs dont seem to change generally between 3-4k rpms.
usually when just coasting. it happened today and then the expected power came after a few exhaust pops and i was propelled (or atleast any deceleration was nullified) when it feels like its running crappy the exhaust seems to be quite poppy rather than a constant brrrrr, as if its been slowed down or its missing a cylinder.

ontop of that at idle will idle quite low until running rough then lift its self to compensate, it will do this everytime im waiting at lights/traffic.

recently i did remove the charcoal canister and disconnected the purge.

and reset the ECU, do you think the ECU is still learning its self?
its been maybe 100kms?
how long should it take?

Baby Face
13-06-2013, 11:23 PM
tried that. next?

Also changed the vacuum hose on the FPR but just so that there wasnt a line T'd off for the pressure at the purge solenoid.
petrol tank still has a breather (put one of them shitty lil crank vent pods on it)

EKVTIR-T
13-06-2013, 11:33 PM
http://s17.postimg.org/re1hti49b/gfh.jpg

DreadAngel
13-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Lately i have noticed a sort of loss in responsiveness.
i know my own car and when i should expect torque in what gear and what speeds, lately though it feels as if the car whilst coasting along the power seems to dissapear but the engine revs dont seem to change generally between 3-4k rpms.
usually when just coasting. it happened today and then the expected power came after a few exhaust pops and i was propelled (or atleast any deceleration was nullified) when it feels like its running crappy the exhaust seems to be quite poppy rather than a constant brrrrr, as if its been slowed down or its missing a cylinder.

ontop of that at idle will idle quite low until running rough then lift its self to compensate, it will do this everytime im waiting at lights/traffic.

recently i did remove the charcoal canister and disconnected the purge.

and reset the ECU, do you think the ECU is still learning its self?
its been maybe 100kms?
how long should it take?

Could it be missing? Checked your ignition etc?

integraR
13-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Looks like missing wires?

yea should got more wires

Baby Face
14-06-2013, 12:13 AM
If I see to post this in technical section would I manage to filter out some of the less useful?

Jasemas
14-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Check the fuel filter man
Check your FITV - fast idle thermal valve,
IACV - give it a clean
Also check your base idle

Baby Face
14-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Check the fuel filter man
Check your FITV - fast idle thermal valve,
IACV - give it a clean
Also check your base idle

Ordering filter tomorrow.

Will clean the iacv too. As part of general maintenance I have a feeling that since this is kind of sudden after I reset my ecu that it's not the cause though

DreadAngel
14-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Sorry I meant Misfiring? Ignition/Breakdown of Spark...

bennjamin
14-06-2013, 08:11 AM
OP

is this a Efi car ? Look at the ignition side - one spark lead might be loose / bad , bad spark plug/s or even something in the distributor like the IGniter or coil going bad.

Might even be a bad tps

trism
14-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Your car doesnt make torque or power when coasting, because you dont have your foot on the throttle, so theres no fuel going into the engine. No fuel = No power

If what you actually mean is driving along at a constant speed/throttle percentage like on the highway, it suddenly feels like the car loses power (i know that feeling, its very definate) then after a few pops from the exhaust, it gets power back, then its an electrical/ignition problem. The reason i know its probably not a fuel problem is because that popping noise you hear is all the unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust.

First up, make sure all electrical connections are clean, and done up tight. When you reset the ecu did you remove a terminal off the battery? If so, make sure its done up tight. If you just pulled a fuse, make sure its back in place properly. any connections you mightve undone recently, make sure theyre all secure.

If it still does it, change the sparkplugs, dont get caught up in fancy iridium or platinum ones, just the normal copper plugs for 5 bucks each will do. Id probably change the plug leads at the same time.

If the problem is still there, time to start looking at the coil, and dizzy cap.

Jasemas
14-06-2013, 10:58 AM
When we did our mountain run
Your car popped a bit going downhill/sometimes through out the run

Baby Face
14-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Exactly as trim said like suddenly power is not there and I feel deceleration.
Exhaust has been quite poppy not today but lately on hotter days. I'll check leads spark plugs are quite new but I'll check them each for oil and also battery terminals.

Iacv wasn't dirty but the part where coolant runs through was clogged quite bad

dougie_504
17-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Looks yuck. Did you clean it and test?

EKVTIR-T
17-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Looks like it was recovered from the titanic wreck

Baby Face
17-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Some of the hoses are blocked too. I cleaned all that out but the passage through the Tb is blocked can't spray cleaner through even.
So I will by pass it.
And get a new Tb in the not too distant future.
Going to try flush the system too with some of the lines replaced

Baby Face
17-06-2013, 10:47 PM
the problem has gone away, i think from using a dremel and bushing the battery leads and posts away with a brass brush.

then lubing them up with Vaseline.

but in my quest i discovereed clogged lines in my coolant system.
I cleared them out and fixxed the block in the TB where the coolant passes through at the bottom.
i also cleaned the IACV and FITV but i have a hunting idle goes from 1300-850 continuously sometimes settles in between around 1100 but then wil start hunting again.

not hunting low enough to stall though.
exhaust looks smokey, rich running. not sure if i have a leak or if its related to the TB cleaner i sprayed around there. i went for a drive (test out omni clutch master) and it hasnt gone away.

Evok
18-06-2013, 12:00 AM
check ur fuel pressure and for vacuum leaks/small ones. generally car will run rich if ur drawing extra air for no reason.
smash carb cleaner down, reset ecu and take it for a drive, see from there. if u got an adjustable fpr? turn it down?

Baby Face
18-06-2013, 06:58 PM
after cleaning the IACV it has started letting in more air then its meant to, if i block the hole in the tb that goes to it the car idles beautifly.

i thought maybe the FITV was chopping in and out making the rev jump n drop. so i deleted it with a plate of alloy, and coolant lines.

ill be deleting the IACV soon if i cant find a way to fix it, (not that i have searched up yet)

Baby Face
23-06-2013, 02:34 PM
it was the o2 sensor, its throwing a code but not CEL.
just noticed the ECU flashing whilst i let a friend drive.

kinda obvious now in hind sight.

will fix when I install new headers.

anyone know where to get the primary and secondary o2 sensors off a obd0 b16a?

RenzokukenJ
23-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I wonder if it was the ethanol?

Baby Face
23-06-2013, 07:46 PM
I wonder if it was the ethanol?

that is a good thought, and to save myself the hassle and headache of why, im just going to agree.