PDA

View Full Version : 5.08 final drive

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey guys im gonna be doing a final drive swap into my euro in the next month, just want to know if the rsx 5.08 final drive will slot into the euro / anyone changed their final drive yet?
keen for some info. already done some reading on k20 but havent heard much about it in the euros
cheers in advance guys

EKVTIR-T
15-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Is that a good idea when k24 got low redline and small vtec window already?

PHO
15-06-2013, 06:15 PM
brb 3500 rpm at 100kph with 7000rpm redline

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2013, 06:19 PM
when tuned ill be seeing a 7.6k limit, next year stg 2 cams, valve train and oil pump will see me over 8k hopefully
its all part of the build

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2013, 06:19 PM
vtec window will be much larger once tuned also

chez00
15-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Hey guys im gonna be doing a final drive swap into my euro in the next month, just want to know if the rsx 5.08 final drive will slot into the euro / anyone changed their final drive yet?
keen for some info. already done some reading on k20 but havent heard much about it in the euros
cheers in advance guys

The front countershaft bearing needs to be swapped to suit the 5.06 countershaft. It has a smaller ID. This will also change all your countershaft bearing preload values so you will need to check and re shim if necessary. Honestly I would have thought the dc5 / euroR ratio would have been better but each to their own. Either way you need to swap that countershaft bearing.

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2013, 06:25 PM
isnt the euros FD ratio 4.7 already? or is it 4.4?
MT btw

chez00
15-06-2013, 06:34 PM
isnt the euros FD ratio 4.7 already? or is it 4.4?
MT btw

Nah Aus euros have a 4.3x FD. 5.06 would be a huge step.

chez00
15-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Also with those mods you want LSD for shizzle.

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Ohhhh id been basing this of this k series tranny guide http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=472588
makes sence then i just asumed we were 4.7 so the next step up would be 5.1
i will probs go for a 4.7 then.
is lsd realy necesary? car is not for track use as of yet, just a fun daily and wont see more than 160kw atw and thats if im lucky..
i wouldn't expect too much wheel spin on a 4.7FD through 1st and 2nd to require an lsd?
also cheers for help man. much appreciated!

chez00
15-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I suppose it all comes down to funds. It looks like you'll be dropping some cash on this car and will probably want to keep it. You'll have the gearbox apart to do the FD swap so the cost is just the LSD itself, not the labour/downtime. You'll be spewing if you decide you want one down the track because it will be twice the work. I'm biased because I make a living from drivetrain modifications but most people will tell you there is no comparison between 160kw with an open wheel diff and 160kw that actually hooks up and stays hooked up. Happy to help, sounds like a great project. I love Euros, I wish my wife did too because I'd own one.

PHO
15-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Open diff is best

mocchi
15-06-2013, 09:44 PM
The front countershaft bearing needs to be swapped to suit the 5.06 countershaft. It has a smaller ID. This will also change all your countershaft bearing preload values so you will need to check and re shim if necessary. Honestly I would have thought the dc5 / euroR ratio would have been better but each to their own. Either way you need to swap that countershaft bearing.

how do you calculate preload on a bearing?
you mean the torque value for countershaft bearing bolt?

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2013, 11:46 PM
I suppose it all comes down to funds. It looks like you'll be dropping some cash on this car and will probably want to keep it. You'll have the gearbox apart to do the FD swap so the cost is just the LSD itself, not the labour/downtime. You'll be spewing if you decide you want one down the track because it will be twice the work. I'm biased because I make a living from drivetrain modifications but most people will tell you there is no comparison between 160kw with an open wheel diff and 160kw that actually hooks up and stays hooked up. Happy to help, sounds like a great project. I love Euros, I wish my wife did too because I'd own one.
i guess ill look into lsd too mate, cheers for the advice. just one last question, why is it that you say the 4.7 FD is more suited for the k24 than the 5.1?

chez00
16-06-2013, 12:31 PM
i guess ill look into lsd too mate, cheers for the advice. just one last question, why is it that you say the 4.7 FD is more suited for the k24 than the 5.1?

It's not that it isn't suited to the engine. You just need to understand that it will be very different and much less comfortable. Mind you the gearing is longer in the Euro so it may work really well with the increased rev limit you're talking about.

how do you calculate preload on a bearing?
you mean the torque value for countershaft bearing bolt?

Yes, but in combination with the 35mm shim between the rear countershaft bearing and 6th gear. That clearance usually changes when the shaft is swapped, and sometimes when the front countershaft bearing is swapped too. This changes the oil clearance between gears now that I think of it rather than the bearing preload per se.

mocchi
16-06-2013, 12:42 PM
It's not that it isn't suited to the engine. You just need to understand that it will be very different and much less comfortable. Mind you the gearing is longer in the Euro so it may work really well with the increased rev limit you're talking about.

Yes, but in combination with the 35mm shim between the rear countershaft bearing and 6th gear. That clearance usually changes when the shaft is swapped, and sometimes when the front countershaft bearing is swapped too. This changes the oil clearance between gears now that I think of it rather than the bearing preload per se.

oh ok, youre right.
just gotta stick to service manual i guess.

EKVTIR-T
16-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Props to chez for sharing so much info :thumbsup:

Mugen_Euro
17-06-2013, 02:26 AM
Agreed chez uve been a massive help! Thanks heaps

DreadAngel
17-06-2013, 02:40 AM
While this might not be 'that' accurate to use... Link (http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml)...

Its something to help you guesstimate the effects of your FD change for given parameters [Gear Set, Tyre Size, Redline]... If you know your car well enough, you'll know ~ how much the calculator is off by [For me I found each value was off by 10% - 15% for my 111].

You can then imagine the difference between your stock ratios and new ratios if you will. Hopefully will shed light and you can make a better judgement either or not it will be suitable for you =)

Mugen_Euro
17-06-2013, 05:12 PM
While this might not be 'that' accurate to use... Link (http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml)...

Its something to help you guesstimate the effects of your FD change for given parameters [Gear Set, Tyre Size, Redline]... If you know your car well enough, you'll know ~ how much the calculator is off by [For me I found each value was off by 10% - 15% for my 111].

You can then imagine the difference between your stock ratios and new ratios if you will. Hopefully will shed light and you can make a better judgement either or not it will be suitable for you =)
do u know where i can find the gear ratios for the euro, all my searches keep bringing up the US and JDM ratios only... :(

Mugen_Euro
17-06-2013, 05:24 PM
DW actualy found them :D