PDA

View Full Version : Help with battery test

No Vtec
19-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Hey guys, I recently ran into a problem, if I am low on fuel, it will take a few seconds of cranking to start the car, but anything above half and cranking only takes a second. I assume the battery is nearing its end, when I bought the car the mechanic charged it and said I'd need to replaced around this time, since then it has been drained once (left lights on).

I was doing some research and landed on a Century NS40ZS(x), however before committing to buying it, I was wondering if I should keep my current one and try and maintain it or just buy a new battery. I took it to SCA and did a battery test, however I wasn't too sure with the results as to whether the battery could die any moment or not.
The lady with the multimeter tested the battery when the car was off, then turned on the headlights, then turned on the car and tested the alternator. She said the water levels were fine (maintenance battery). The battery was made around 3 years ago and I use the car often to commute to work and driving here and there. The results showed:
Battery Test
Low Capacity>No Fault> Ref Chart
Volts: 12.86V
Measured: 146CCA
Rating: 325CCA
Starter Test
Low Capacity
Volts: 9.01V
Charging Test
OK
Volts 14,44V

I need help interpreting the results as to whether the battery is in bad condition and needs a replacement or if it is still reliable.
Thanks!

crobaa
20-06-2013, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't have thought low fuel would affect the car to start, as long as there's enough for it to run and adequate fuel pressure it shouldn't matter I don't think.

fillit
20-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Why don't you borrow a good battery from a mate and test it in your car. If it starts up better then you have your answer :)

bennjamin
20-06-2013, 08:54 AM
try replacing your fuel filter before replacing the battery.

trism
20-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Totally not a battery problem.

Its all in the fuel.

As Ben said, change fuel filter.

o0ultima0o
20-06-2013, 10:25 PM
i work at sca, and the battery tester provided to us by century is a PITA with the readings it gives off like it did for you; "low capacity>no fault> refer to chart" ... then reading the chart, it literally just says; check water level -- regardless of water level, recharge + trickle charge x___x

good luck :)

No Vtec
20-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your replies, I did find it odd with the connection between the longer cranking and low fuel.
With that said, is there a specific fuel filter I should buy for my car? I checked the manual and all the information I got on the type of filter was 'carburetor type'.
I'm happy that the fuel filter is much cheaper than a battery but just a small concern, is there anything I should be worried about from the battery test?
Thanks.

Edit: Haha, thanks ultima for the insight on the battery tester.