PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Wreckers!

noobcake
22-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I had a search on gumtree for DC5R parts, I saw this DC5R which looks very familiar from the auctions in which I actually attended the auction. From my memory it was listed as a write off with 190xxx Kms on the car. I called up the wrecker and specific asked about the DC5R, firstly i asked how much were the recaro's, they said 990 fair enough then i asked about the motor of the car, i then proceeded to ask how many km's were on the motor he said 94xxx, I'm not here to cause trouble but what's your say on it?

Daveho1
22-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Unless you know 100% that its the same you shouldnt say anything

Forbiddenoob
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
any proof that dc5r motor for that age doing 94,xxxkm? and that pretty low km for write off... my POV.
never trust any wreckers.. they'll do anything to sell craps to you

_CRX_
03-07-2013, 12:07 AM
any proof that dc5r motor for that age doing 94,xxxkm? and that pretty low km for write off... my POV.
never trust any wreckers.. they'll do anything to sell craps to you

How's it pretty low km for a wright off....if a car is deemed not worth repairing buy an insurance company it becomes a write off...the insurance company finds that its not financially feasible to do so.

It has nothing to do with km ...it has to do with structural damage and cost of repair...have a look on pickles or mayhem fowles ....there's a lot of cars with low kms that are being written off

Daveho1
03-07-2013, 06:28 AM
dudes donno what they are talking about, you guys have to remember the wreckers never owned the car when it was fully functioning and chances are they never drove it at all, they bought it as a pile of parts stuck together, its an investment to them not a car. they arnt being dodgy generally they just don't know, but in the event of faulty parts its worth looking at there return policy first, as with any part.

Renaissance_x
03-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Could have maybe just made a mistake when recalling the k's?

Snoop_gee
03-07-2013, 10:06 AM
For some wreckers making money any which way they can will do.
Whether is falsely advertising an engine real K's just to earn a few bucks do happen.

Op based on the fact your located in NSW.
The fair trading on Auto Dismantlers can be found here (http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Businesses/Specific_industries_and_businesses/Auto_dismantlers.page)
If you want to stop these wreckers as u suspect them for their wrong doing. As long as you got enough evidence you can approach the wreckers or contact NSW Fair Trading.
Its a very delicate situation really. Who knows the wreckers could get startled and drop the price on the engine heaps more and you could score a really crazy deal.
Handle with care man.

If your genuinely interested in the engine to purchase and are concerned of the k's as long as your able to do compression test and physically inspect the engine for damage generally you should be okay.
Back it up with a warranty from the wreckers on the engine itself helps safe guard if you overlooked and missed something.
some offer 3- 6 months and or even 1-5000km. It really depends on how reputable the business is .

EKVTIR-T
03-07-2013, 10:08 AM
I agree with snoopygee in this case

dougie_504
05-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Face it, pretty much anybody selling any vehicle bullsh!ts to try and get a decent price.

"Immaculate condition, accident-free history, runs very well, no mechanical issues" and you rock up it's beat up, dirty, badly bogged from the last repairs, has shagged bushes everywhere, leaking oil from the HG etc etc.

Just need to do your inspections as well as you can. High mileage means nothing anyway.

bennjamin
05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
High mileage means nothing anyway.

I don't agree. Mileage is everything. It can dictate the image and overall condition of a car more than anything else.
What the OP refers to is a serious issue....it's not just stretching the truth like "...has a dent or two ..." Or "...well taken care of." Both of these examples will be seen or not upon viewing which is frankly normal behaviour to get people's interest.

Altering the Kms is illegal and can greatly increase the profit. This is a serious accusation, and unless it can be 100% proved its unlikely to be found out. If unsure avoid it !

dougie_504
05-07-2013, 04:36 PM
What I mean is that a car which had travelled 200,000 highway KM's and been properly serviced every 5,000 with good oils, filled with good premium petrol, never beaten when cold or driven in anger, will probably be in better knick than a 90,000KM engine that gets serviced once a year if the tax return allows it using KMart oil, the crappest independent station's 91 RON, and beaten senseless when its cold.

Not saying what the wrecker is accused of is acceptable but to be hypothetical if you'd rather have that 90,000KM engine go for it.

mocchi
05-07-2013, 04:39 PM
lol driven in anger

noobcake
05-07-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm not affiliated with any of the parties but i just wanted to point out whether its something to take note of, i find it as a mistrust within the car wrecking industry, Infact you're paying 4-5 grand for a motor which has been tampered!

hondapop
06-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Salt is a cheap commodity, always carry several pinches with you.

Adamjoeldavis
10-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Whats wrong with wreckers? I used to be one of them :( haha

Baby Face
11-07-2013, 01:27 AM
mileage is more usefull when determing the condition of body parts like bushings/ball joints.

as for engines it can be high miles at low rpm, or low kms at 9k rpm.

i know which i would rather.

hondapop
11-07-2013, 07:04 PM
I also worked regular part time at a wrecker on the sunshine coast back in the late 80's. All there parts were checked and guaranteed for a month. They weren't out to rip anyone off. I've also always found Boss Wrecking in Brizzy good as well, but there are dodgy ones around. They only bite you once, admittedly poor compensation.
Google is your friend if you want to find comments about any.

danielhonda
12-07-2013, 08:31 PM
IF your suspicious about anything buy somewhere else!!! theres plenty of other wreckers around aye =)

Daveho1
15-07-2013, 06:24 AM
hey mates maby someone is dodgy, not sure but maby, so avoid dem k

Baby Face
15-07-2013, 04:48 PM
just read this before you decide to buy one from a certain BackYard Performance group
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?176426-For-those-who-have-dealt-with-BYP-RACING-amp-DEVELOPMENTS

RenzokukenJ
15-07-2013, 05:10 PM
just read this before you decide to buy one from a certain BackYard Pooshooters group
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?176426-For-those-who-have-dealt-with-BYP-RACING-amp-DEVELOPMENTS

Goot wun n8