PDA

View Full Version : 91 wont start

cj1
28-03-2005, 07:58 AM
:( Hello, bought 91 civic hatchback, turns over, wont start. Replaced main relay, dist cap, fuel filter, aux filter. Bought new rotor but having trouble removing old one. I'm just a girl :wave: so don't get too technical!

Spoon-Accord
28-03-2005, 11:06 AM
where bout's u from?? i can alwayz help

Kenny

cj1
31-03-2005, 09:08 AM
OK....have now replaced the rotor and ignition control module (igniter) and there is spark at the spark plugs. Won't start. I can hear the fuel pump coming on and hear the main relay click when key is turned on. Could I have gotten it out of time when I worked on the distributor?? What else can I try to do?

LS-TC
31-03-2005, 06:01 PM
if your hearing click click click.. its the battery, Dead

Disco-d
31-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Check the Fuse, THE FUSE!!!!

I left my car for a month Cause it wouldnt click over...Only to find that it was thefuse.....

Gees im a lost it!

bennjamin
31-03-2005, 07:28 PM
If your battery is not fully charged - it may not igtinte at all. IT still will "give spark" - jsut not enough to start up the car.

Try another workign battery , then check if the spark leads are on correctly.

Good luck -

ECU-MAN
31-03-2005, 08:57 PM
iv seen it in the past where, even though you getting spark at the plug its not a good spark, the coil is dead and giving out a pissy spark. try another coil if you can get your hands on one, see if you can try before you buy type of thing. also is the rotor button turning fully as your engine is turning over

cj1
01-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Well, I figured out it will start with starting fluid. I've changed out the igniter, which I think it needed, as it wouldn't start at all before. Changed the dist cap & rotor, so if it starts with spray, do you think everything is good in that area?? I must have done that part right, right? So where do I go from here? Thanks everyone.

SINISTR
01-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Its carburated right?

even if efi, from what this sounds like you're not getting fuel into the chambers... fuel pump running, just not giving fuel where the spark is...

cj1
01-04-2005, 12:52 PM
It is fuel injected. So, that brings me to my previous question. Could I have gotten the distributor out of sync? If it was running before (like 2 days out of the week) I know it was getting fuel then. Also, I changed the fuel filter. Is there any way I could have done it wrong so that the fuel is not going thru. How would I check that?

SINISTR
01-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Doubt you would have done anything when changing the Rotor or dissy cap - they fit on ONLY 1 way on... maybe you need to bleed the air out of the fuel system...
i can suggest 1 thing... unscrew the fuel hose from the fuel rail, and have someone crank the motor for you for 'half a second' if there is fuel there, you're not getting it through the injectors, if there is no fuel comming out, you need to trace it back to the fuel filter.

BTW where are you pouring the igniter fuel into?

ECU-MAN
02-04-2005, 01:51 AM
measure your fuel pressure

cj1
02-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Well, I checked the fuel filter and it seems to be bone dry. I took off the incoming line and cranked the car. No fuel squirting out. Shouldn't it be gushing out?

ECU-MAN
02-04-2005, 06:13 PM
yep, seems to be fuel pump or system type of fault