PDA

View Full Version : WA importing my k20 eg to WA with mods? can they be signed off on?

K20a-eg
10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi Guys,

im new to this forum and looking at getting advice, I want to import my EG k swap civic from ireland and im wondering will the modifications on the car be a issue???

or is it just a matter of getting a engineer to check the car out before i put it on the road??

any advice would be appreciated

curtis265
10-07-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure 100% but it needs to comply with road regulations (ADR's) as well as have an engineering certificate on the modifications

I know engine swapped vehicles from QLD make it past inspection but i'm not sure about internationally... but it wasn't a kswap

mocchi
10-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi Guys,

im new to this forum and looking at getting advice, I want to import my EG k swap civic from ireland and im wondering will the modifications on the car be a issue???

or is it just a matter of getting a engineer to check the car out before i put it on the road??

any advice would be appreciated

depends on the mods you did

DreadAngel
10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi =)

Regarding Personal Imports, you first must own it for longer than 12mths with documents of ownership etc...

To import I know you must prep the car including the removal of refrigerant gas from your A/C if its still there.

After that, your car will be changed to ADR spec so for example mirrors if they're the JDM [Flat or Concave I forget, iirc JDM ones are Flat which aren't to ADR spec for whatever reason] type then must be changed. If its got backseats, there will be child restrain holes and latches put in. I forgot what else was done to my car when it was imported but it will be a little more relaxed for you.

Regarding modifications, once the car has been converted to ADR spec, paperwork is sent to the Compliance Office where they will assess whether or not to give it the ok. Most of the time they don't send officers out to check the car, but on occasions they do and this is where modded cars get into trouble. For compliance regulations, the car must be stock for whatever reason. Compliance Workshops run the gauntlet with the customer, if they don't send out someone to inspect, you're safe with mods left on. However if they send someone out and find your car all modded, you'll have extra cost added on.

Importers and Compliance Workshops will have a better idea so best to talk to them ;)

VT3C
10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
DreadAngel is on the money..

WA Licensing Department official word on PERSONAL IMPORTS: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20408.asp#20563

Can I import my car from overseas?
You can import a vehicle as a ‘personal import’. A personal import is a vehicle that has been owned and used by the applicant for a continuous period of 12 months overseas. The vehicle must comply with the relevant rules and regulations (see Applicable legislation below), including Australian Design Rules (ADRs) that are relevant to the vehicle you intend to import. This means your vehicle must be fitted with:
seat belts that meet an Australian Standard or British Standard;
seat belt anchorages that meet the number and location requirements of second or third edition ADR 5;
child restraint anchorages that meet the number, location, accessibility, thread size and form requirements of second edition Australian Design Rule 34 or third edition ADR 5 or 34; and
head restraints that meet the number, location and size requirements of second or third edition ADR 22.

Here's the ADR's in detail: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx

K20a-eg
10-07-2013, 09:52 PM
here the mods on the car.ive owned it 5 years so not worried about permit of getting it in to Australia,im worried about it being allowed on the road

only 2 seats in the car,4 point harnesses,but I can put in 2 seat belts, no rear seats as theres a roll cage
all the brake lines are braided and run through the car,
all wiring has been relocated under dash
bigger brakes all round (prelude), car full poly bushed, power steering is changed to electric hydraulic whish is mounted inside car
k swap,k20 engine with skunk manifold and 2.5 exhaust, rbc intake manifold or my itbs,k pro ecu,induction kit,410cc injectors, gearbox is built with spoon internals
alloy wheels which are oem integra

K20a-eg
10-07-2013, 09:55 PM
I can upload any more pics cause my 2 mb is full, is that a daily allowance?

curtis265
11-07-2013, 12:01 PM
nah you gotta upload it to an image hosting site and hotlink it

RenzokukenJ
11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Might need to get rid of the harness and roll cage

you can register the car as a 2 seater

VT3C
11-07-2013, 12:38 PM
yeah they wont allow the harness or cage on road rego'd vehicles. put it back in later :)

suspects
13-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Just bring it in as a race car...rally rego the car and drive it to race meets or events