PDA

View Full Version : b16a speedo problems

BSRacer
28-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey Guys,
I've had intermittent speedo problems since I got my car (ef8 crx). I replaced the speedo sensor that bolts onto the dif and it works consistently now, however it is exactly out by 15k's (checked it with a mate driving in front of me) so at 60 it reads 75 and at 110 it reads 125. Does anyone know how to adjust the speedo to correct this? I assume I have to pull my cluster appart. Any tips would be really helpful.

Cheers
Norman

mr crex
28-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Norman... what VSS did you swap it with ? a B16a Y1 or something else like a B16a2 y21 etc. ?

BSRacer
29-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey steve,
Don't know. Got it from hondaworld in melb. The design of it is basically the same but it had the plug in a different place. My orignal one had a cable coming out of the back of the unit, whereas the new one had the plug mounted directly on the back of the unit. Does it make a difference for which engine it is? It fits.

ECU-MAN
29-03-2005, 08:01 PM
what you have to do is put the old gear on the new VSS,

that will make your VSS read correctly again.

or did you only change the VSS with out the bottom part withthe gear on it

BSRacer
29-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Cheers guys, changed the whole thing, guess I have to pull it apart now.

BSRacer
29-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Ok I think I get what you mean. I swapped the top part that mates to the pin which comes out of the "bottom half" on the dif. What do I need to do? Have I fitted the incorrect VSS?

ECU-MAN
29-03-2005, 10:43 PM
well if you havnt changed the gear chances are the VSS is pumping out a higher frequency/road speed signal. one thing you can try is to put the bottom half that came with the new VSS into the car. it may have a different gear on it. and together they might just give the correct signal.

I have not done this before so there is no guarentee it will work.

if you try this then its still to high, you may have to try a different VSS

BSRacer
29-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Cheers mate, unfortunately have no bottom half :( Bought it from a wrecker, to half only. I'll call them tomorrow and see what I can see thanks for your help.

ECU-MAN
29-03-2005, 10:59 PM
no probs,

just tell them it dint do the job, they may have another one you can try