PDA

View Full Version : HID still on after car is turned off. (EJ8)

Swaggasaurus
11-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi guys,

my mate has HID's in his car and the HID's stay on after the cars been switched off, only way to turn them off is to pull out and plug in the fuse. anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Chestnuggets
11-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Might be wrong connections. Try relocating them.

mattsrea
11-07-2013, 10:41 PM
^^ As above you must have wired it wrong.
You do know they stay on even if the car is off right? Not a sarcastic question or anything just incase you forgot.

But to try help out, this is how it should be wired up (excuse my basic schematic haha it was a quick 3 min job)
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/963/9qen.png

Correct me anybody who thinks i made an error somewhere

Baby Face
14-07-2013, 11:55 PM
when i turn off my car the headlights stay on until the battery dies.

like many cars they stay on until the lights them selves are flicked off.

mattsrea
15-07-2013, 12:04 AM
^^ Yeah thats what happens with every car, the headlights are connected direct to battery so it can turn on/off at any instant if you leave it flicked on. But normally if you turn off the car and leave your lights on, an 'alarm' type will sound notifying you the lights are still on. If there are no sound then fuse is most likely blown.

Daveho1
15-07-2013, 06:17 AM
someone didnt follow the instructions lol

bennjamin
15-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi guys,

my mate has HID's in his car and the HID's stay on after the cars been switched off, only way to turn them off is to pull out and plug in the fuse. anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

The on/off switch isn't working or connected - takes the 12v switch feed off the standard headlight loom. It sounds like you have hooked it directly to the battery and a ground lol ?

Rage King
25-07-2013, 03:32 PM
did the HID kit come with a relay KIT?

proper H4 - HID kits comes with 2 HID globes, 2 HID Ballasts and 1 Relay Kit for the high beams. - they are all plug and play - though the purpose of the relay kit is to obtain the 12v directly from the battery when using the HIGH BEAM (instant on - without having to wait for the globe to warm up when using HIGH BEAM).

if your kit didnt come with the relay kit - then most likely as people have already mentioned is that you have it wired up incorrectly or switch is a pisser or you could have a sticky high beam relay.

Sticky relay = when the relay has too much voltage or heat and makes the contacts stick when used for a long period of time. or the most easist way to explain this is that your relay could be ****ed! LOL

my mate had the same issue on his civic - we fixed the prob by installing a relay kit for his HID. Most of the time u wont need this kit but its a safe practice to have as it will help prevent your head light looms to heat up then melt then on FIREEE!!

tiksie
27-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Single beam kits do not use relays FYI.

Daveho1
27-07-2013, 07:00 AM
well no... cause single beam

JDM DC2R
27-07-2013, 11:56 AM
If the HID is using more current then the standard application. I would be running a relay. The original circuit would latch the relay. Ie switching. and id have direct power from the battery feeding the HIDS. With a inline fuse.

amant02
28-07-2013, 05:43 PM
We have the same problem with my brothers radio lolol. But we know we got desperate to make it work and ran a line straight from the battery with in line fuse lol. Just have to unplug the face of the radio when turning the car off.

Just take out your bulbs every time you off your car. Possible solution lol.

Wait heres a better idea,

Remove the Black wire from the ballast as per diagram from previous post lol

Daveho1
28-07-2013, 06:23 PM
....sigh..

Baby Face
28-07-2013, 09:52 PM
wire it properly, OP hasnt even replied lets just give up its a lost cause.

mattsrea
29-07-2013, 12:31 AM
haha ^^ this! or he probably realised it was a silly mistake and doesn't want to embarrass himself..

Daveho1
29-07-2013, 06:06 AM
hey bros so my car dosnt ever turn off but its cool i have a jerry can in back...problem solved

Rage King
29-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Single beam kits do not use relays FYI.

not sure if srs ..

well no... cause single beam

true story