PDA

View Full Version : Using both brake and gas pedal, acceleration is now less sensitive.

No Vtec
13-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Hey, I was driving around with my brother, after driving around a shopping center, we left to get onto the main road, we were wondering why the car wouldn't go above 60km/h. We figured out the reason after driving for 5 minutes, since this car has a brake and gas pedal installed in front of the passenger seat (driving instructors car[a Jazz]), my bag was leaning against the brake pedal.
As soon as I took it off we could smell some burnt smell could be tires or something from the inside of the car so it was pretty strong, it went away after a few minutes. So we were driving with the brake pedal slightly on for a good 5 minutes. Noticed that now the car has trouble getting up to 60km/h normally and you have to push the pedal harder.

Where should I be checking specifically for signs of damage? There wasn't much info on this problem, but I read that it places extreme wear on both brakes and transmission.
Thanks.

u mad?
13-07-2013, 07:03 PM
probably smelt over heated pads

acceleration issue all in your head

Regards,

Sean

androo
13-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Should be fine. Worse thing you've done is wore out your brake pads and discs a bit more (possibly requiring machining if anything - most likely not). Would not have caused any issues with your acceleration so as Sean has noted, most likely in your head or a huge coincidence.

No Vtec
13-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, yeah it was the brother driving at the time and my fault for the braking. Tried driving it again and I'm pretty sure the acceleration was fine however the problem is probably in the brake pedal as it does take more effort to brake on that. As I would probably machine the pads and discs as a last resort, I asked elsewhere and they suggested to try re-bed the brakes as the pads may have been glazed? Any thoughts on that? If not then what suggestions should I try before resorting to machining.

Thanks.