PDA

View Full Version : My turn now... burnt clutch :(

euro77
29-03-2005, 08:34 AM
It seems I've been hit by another bad luck. my clutch burnt out on me last night, and that's when I was driving in first gear trying to get into my garage :rolleyes:

have called honda and someone would come to see it this week. I'm without my wheels now grrrr..... I hope they'll cover this in warranty otherwise I'll explode!

REV888
29-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Not good news how many KM have you done ?

baboo
29-03-2005, 09:25 AM
sorry to hear mate, but what did you do?
You get me worried here, there are quite a few cases of burnt clutch issue already

My clutch feels funny too at times, mostly at 1st gear uptake as there's a bit of shrudder vibration going on...

Sulley
29-03-2005, 09:26 AM
I used to have a corolla sportivo and i burnt out its clutch at 11000.
Is it a defect or it's the way you drive?
i don't understand how a clutch can burn out at 11000.

baboo
29-03-2005, 09:31 AM
At least you have excuse to upgrade to a better clutch & a lightweight flywheel!

as001
29-03-2005, 12:44 PM
man this thread has me a bit worried...

yfin
29-03-2005, 01:30 PM
holly crap. Since Feb 05 I have been really paranoid about my clutch due to posts on this forum. Now with Euro77 out this is scary. I remember looking at his tyres at the dyno day (20,000kms) and thinking that he is definately not an agressive driver as the tyres looked new.

I don't touch the accelerator anymore between up changes - I used to feed in some power at the friction point - made for a nice smooth change - especially 1st to 2nd gear.

Now my method of changing gears is probably more sympathetic but not very smooth 1st to 2nd gear. No accelerator at all until clutch pedal is fully out.

Good luck Euro77 - let us know how you go with the warranty side of things.

euro77
29-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I was just driving up my driveway in first gear, then suddenly I smell something burning. I wasn't even riding up my clutch :/
then this morning I drive it a bit to test, and I noticed the clutch slipping at times, even on 1st gear... :(

as001
29-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Opening myself up here for pot shots...maybe the electronic throttle is slightly engaged through changes even though your foot is off throttle basically due to the sensitivity of the throttle is setup maybe Honda should run a flash upgrade to null the response of the throttle a fraction

baboo
29-03-2005, 03:02 PM
This is really odd...

you didn't rev it right up to the redline when you drive up the driveway did ya? I really doubt it though.

Do you have the master clutch cylinder problem? somehow I think the problems are linked in someway or another. Logical explaination is the master clutch cylinder is leaking clutch fluid resulting clutch not release properly & wears out.

Faiz
29-03-2005, 03:35 PM
haha, auto lol i found a plus point.

yfin
29-03-2005, 03:58 PM

That is real mature Faiz - laugh about someone else's misfortune.

You could have simply said "I am glad I got the auto" and left it at that. Why add "haha, lol etc"? :thumbdwn:

Have some sympathy for the guy :(

REV888
29-03-2005, 04:15 PM
That is real mature Faiz - laugh about someone else's misfortune.

You could have simply said "I am glad I got the auto" and left it at that. Why add "haha, lol etc"? :thumbdwn:

Have some sympathy for the guy :(

Agree not funny at all :(

I had a clutch go in my 147 Alfa Romeo just before my warrenty expired had to fork out 2.5K for a new clutch as they said it was wear and tear and would not cover me.

Phhhhhh was at 41,000km as well not good.

Wish you well let us know what Honda Says.

as001
29-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Warranty clutch issue claims are so hard to prove to service as they can always put it down to wear and tear which totally sux

aaronng
29-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Do you have the master clutch cylinder problem? somehow I think the problems are linked in someway or another. Logical explaination is the master clutch cylinder is leaking clutch fluid resulting clutch not release properly & wears out.
I somehow think that there is a link between the master cylinder and clutch wear. Because when I had my master cylinder creak, the 1-2 shift would slightly grind, as if the clutch was not disengaging fully. After changing the master cylinder, it was fine. Maybe the majority of Euros are slipping the clutch during shifting eventhough the clutch pedal is being pushed all the way! I hope that over in the US, that the TSX owners that suffer premature clutch wear will be able to push Acura into doing a voluntary recall and then it will trickle over to us as well here in Aus, just like the trunk harness recall.

coladuna
29-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm surprised mine's holding up well.
This is the first manual car I've driven and therefore has undergone some hardship at first haha
It's done just over 10,000km now.

Pum[Z]
29-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Damn... Thats the 3 euro owners already that have had to change their clutches...

I don't want to wish it to anybody else but it seems that honda's weakness is really in their transmission/clutch...

I really hope that Honda fixes ur clutch under warranty euro77... That is really weird that ur clutch can just burn out driving into ur driveway... Is ur car still drivable?? i know i was still able to drive around for 2 weeks with my burnt clutch.. But boy the smell of it is unbearable...

I changed the burnout clutch near 5000 km.. I have done 16,000km now on my car. have lost all confidence on the clutch ever since it burn out. Extra careful now with the clutch..

Catcha
29-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Hey At least a Plus point with a manual is that when a clutch fails, you can replace it at a much cheaper alternative and better clutch that grips more, than when an auto breaks.

And its still much more better to drive than and Auto and faster as well :wave:

aaronng
29-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Pum[Z], did you use the same Euro replacement clutch or did you use an aftermarket clutch after it burnt out? I was wondering if Honda would put in an aftermarket or uprated clutch if I paid them extra, (if this ever happened to me too, touch wood).

In the US forums, they say the clutch used in the K24A2 6MT is same as in the K20A Type S. Maybe our engines are too torquey and don't drop revs as easily as the K20A if the clutch is released at the wrong (higher) revs with a bit of gas, thus wearing it a bit more each time.

aaronng
29-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey At least a Plus point with a manual is that when a clutch fails, you can replace it at a much cheaper alternative and better clutch that grips more, than when an auto breaks.

And its still much more better to drive than and Auto and faster as well :wave:
Except that if the Auto breaks, it is covered under warranty since the transmission is not classified under wear and tear . The clutch on the other hand goes into the same category as the brake pads, consumables!

Pum[Z]
29-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah when i burnt out my clutch i was cursing saying i should have bought a automatic :p

But then again the reason i bought the Accord Euro at that time was that it was only car in that price segment that offered 6 speed manual transmission...

aaronng: Honda had to get the clutch plate, clutch oil, etc. etc from the eastern states... I was the first Accord Euro to have a burnt out clutch in Western Australia... My Honda service centre was pretty shocked that i burnt the clutch with just nearly 5000 clicks on the odometer.. They replaced the clutch with a new Honda one.. They had to machine it as well... It took them 2 whole days to rechange the clutch...

Catcha
29-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Except that if the Auto breaks, it is covered under warranty since the transmission is not classified under wear and tear . The clutch on the other hand goes into the same category as the brake pads, consumables!

Yep your right but, Depending on how I view the purpose of a car, having a burnt out clutch at such low km's is not the best things, somethings wrong with the manufacturers specs, but for other that modify there Euro to an extent that it voids most of the cars warranty anyway, I would use that as an excuse to upgrade to a better clutch.

I would be spewing to if my clutch fails at 20,000km or at least under 70,000.

aaronng
29-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Yep your right but, Depending on how I view the purpose of a car, having a burnt out clutch at such low km's is not the best things, somethings wrong with the manufacturers specs, but for other that modify there Euro to an extent that it voids most of the cars warranty anyway, I would use that as an excuse to upgrade to a better clutch.

I would be spewing to if my clutch fails at 20,000km or at least under 70,000.
I reckon Honda cuts corners at the insignificant bits to deliver the Euro at a good price. Unfortunately, they also decided to put on the K20A clutch (which is used in many other models in the Honda lineup) into the Euro instead of sourcing a higher rated clutch for the increase in torque just to cut cost.

Heck, I'd be pissed if the clutch had a shorter life than a timing belt! (although Euros use a timing chain instead, but you get my idea)

coladuna
29-03-2005, 08:46 PM
I reckon Honda cuts corners at the insignificant bits to deliver the Euro at a good price. Unfortunately, they also decided to put on the K20A clutch (which is used in many other models in the Honda lineup) into the Euro instead of sourcing a higher rated clutch for the increase in torque just to cut cost.

I strongly doubt that.
It's not like the Euro has a huge amount of torque compared to K20A.
It's very unlikely a clutch has such a narrow range of tolerance to torque.
I put it down to either driver problem or just simple bad luck.

aaronng
29-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Just checked TSX boards. Check this out:

Well they got back to me today. They said that the master cylinder (wtver that is) is the problem and that its what caused the clutch to wear so quickly. So they said they'd get a new master cylinder in there under warranty; but they will not replace the clutch even though the damage was due to the cylinder. they said the car will run fine and the clutch has enough life in it to be okay for a while; but its obvious that there is excessive wear on it due to teh cylinder.

From http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6578&highlight=clutch+wear

yfin
29-03-2005, 08:59 PM

What do you mean by bad luck? Do you mean a manufacturing defect? This should be covered by warranty.

aaronng
29-03-2005, 09:04 PM
I strongly doubt that.
It's not like the Euro has a huge amount of torque compared to K20A.
It's very unlikely a clutch has such a narrow range of tolerance to torque.
Most manual drivers in Australia are experienced MT drivers. The trend here is to go auto if you are a newbie because of the availability of the AT drivers license here (so you're special ;)). So I think that would narrow it down to bad luck. And in this case, bad luck = Honda's common master cylinder problem.

EuroAccord13
29-03-2005, 09:09 PM
I still have the knotty feel on the clutch pedal at times and this is seriously getting me worried, I think I better make time to go to Honda and have them look at the Master Cylinder, but so far there isn't any notice for Honda Australia except the one that was posted here by Honda America....

yfin
29-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I still have the knotty feel on the clutch pedal at times and this is seriously getting me worried, I think I better make time to go to Honda and have them look at the Master Cylinder, but so far there isn't any notice for Honda Australia except the one that was posted here by Honda America....

Can you explain what you mean by a knotty feel?

aaronng
29-03-2005, 09:40 PM
There might be no official notice, but my dealer changed the master cylinder the 2nd time I brought it in with the creaking and notchy clutch (no need to investigate. The guy heard and felt the clutch and told me that I could pick the car up later in the evenin), so the master cylinder replacement is an accepted fix for this kind of problem.
Get it done soon man. It's scary that this "cosmetic" problem can lead to premature clutch wear.

EuroAccord13
29-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Can you explain what you mean by a knotty feel?

As I step on the clutch, nearing the end, there is this vibrating feel that pulsates through my foot....

aaronng
29-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Like a spring twang feeling?

EuroAccord13
30-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Like a spring twang feeling?

Yeap like that with the sensation of stepping into sand....

aaronng
30-03-2005, 12:09 AM
mine had the twang, but no sand..

baboo
30-03-2005, 08:59 AM
As I step on the clutch, nearing the end, there is this vibrating feel that pulsates through my foot....

Sounds like the master clutch is on its way out.

most people are hearing the clicking sound, it was something to do with cruise control switch. But if you can feel the vibration through the pedal, it's definately master clutch cylinder problem.

Nick, get it checked out asap.

euro77
30-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Not sure about the master cylinder clutch. I haven't felt anything out of the ordinary on my clutch, except on that evening :(
I'm getting it towed to the dealer tomorrow morning, will keep you updated.
I suppose I can drive, but my dealer advised me not to, just in case it died on me on the way.

h22a accord
30-03-2005, 04:14 PM
damn that would piss me off, brand new car and it does this shite.

VirIIx
31-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Man, i feel sorry for ya! I know how it feels..

let us know what happens and what the cause is.

I got them to check my master cylinder and they were saying no problems, it's all wear and tear when it was checked and changed - i'm also hella paranoid that i don't give it much if any acceleration when changing up gear as well :\

fecking Honda is all i can say..

This might've been asked already but how many km's you done? (i seem to of missed it)

Faiz
31-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Im sorry to laugh, i didnt mean it that way just laughed to find it amusing the auto has a plus point.

lets have group hug

Catcha
31-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Im sorry to laugh, i didnt mean it that way just laughed to find it amusing the auto has a plus point.

lets have group hug

keep laughing...because its the only plus point the auto has. :D

But when you get left at the lights by a manual Euro , I wonder who is laughing at who :wave:

Faiz
31-03-2005, 02:46 PM
lol now thats just making me feel bad. Onloy reason i choose the auto so i can concentrate more on the road and handling. I found it sometimes a distraction to change gears in the city full of pedestrians. Hey the auuto v6 camry is as fast as the auto euro so im not complaining.

euro77
31-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Just got a call this evening by my dealer. surprisingly they can't find anything wrong with it, they can't feel it slip and they didn't smell anything burning. This is wierd. I swear the smell on that Monday evening is real bad and the clutch did slip. The feel is like that you press the accelerator but the car won't go (just reving with no power to go, like in neutral), isn't that slipping?

Or is it just a temporary burning? Is there such things? Once the clutch has cool down it goes back to normal? I can smell slight burning smell (either the left over from Monday or actually the clutch I don't know) this morning when I drive it to the dealer (decided to drive it as the dealer is very close) but I can't feel it slipping though.

What you guys think?

EuroAccord13
31-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Well, I do smell the burning of the clutch when I push hard through the gears.. which by the next day, would have been gone... maybe it was in your case too? OR.... The dealer didn't want to change it for ya :P

aaronng
01-04-2005, 12:12 AM
I always personally show the dealer the problem. That way I can tell them what I think is not right, and they have to agree if they hear/see/feel/smell/taste(?) the same thing there and then.

euro77
02-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Well, I've picked up the car, drive it around, give a hard launch... and I'm baffled. It no longer slip, the burnt smell no longer there... either I'm dreaming that Monday, or it's just a temporary burnt clutch (if there's such thing), or the dealer replaced something without telling me. What confuses me is when I picked up my car, it seems the battery has been disconnected, as all my radio station memory is gone (but surprisingly the time is not). any thoughts?

viperx
02-04-2005, 12:06 PM
you can burn a bit of the clutch material off without it slipping which would cause the smell for a while. I've done it before. maybe you glossed your clutch plate material over and it fixed itself...

yfin
02-04-2005, 07:07 PM
yeah it can slip and smell - then when it cools it is fine.

I can remember my dad driving my old 626 towing one of those hired furniture trailers (the boxed ones). We tried to reverse it up a steep driveway full of furniture - but it was really heavy and the car wouldn't move! We gave it heaps of throttle - eventually got there but the clutch was slipping heaps and smoking! Then it stank.

Once the clutch cooled down it was like nothing happened - no slipping, etc. Sold that car a few years later with the same clutch - worked normally.