PDA

View Full Version : EG automatic Transmission - interchangeable?

jdmEG5
16-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Hey guys ;

Noob question here..

I got an EG GLi (D15B7 motor) with an automatic transmission.
Car has travelled roughly 220,xxx kms.

Transmission is thumping into gears, not just reverse to drive or vise versa but it's thumping into 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th.. As far as I'm concern, to me it feels like the clutch an drums inside the box has worn out which causes the thumping..

Oil is red and clean ,no sign of burning, no CEL either.. It still drives but misses don't like the fact that it's rough..

OKAY, so I got my self another automatic transmission + torque converter off another EG, but it was a vti (D16Y1).. Will I have any issues using this gearbox with my standard GLi ecu ?

D16Y1 transmission code : M24A - xx xx xxx xxx xx
D15B7 transmission code : S24A - xx xx xxx xxx xx

Anything I should be aware of before I go ahead with the change?

But first, I'm gonna try to flush down my current one with oem Honda ATF and see how I go and I probably add some additives to smoothen it out (hopefuly)..

Any useful information will be appreciated + a rep point will be given :)

Thanks! - and no stupid comments please lol..

jdmEG5
17-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Bumpp

2MPRS
23-07-2013, 06:35 PM
any auto box fits as long as you use the torque converter from the box not the motor. for example i had a d15b7 auto box on a d16a8 which worked fine. you shouldnt have to change cvs and ecu

hondapop
23-07-2013, 07:19 PM
I would definetly try the changing fluid routine, takes about 3 changes to get rid of most of any "foreign" fluid. There are no adjustments or filters you can change, Even though the old fluid looks clean on the dipstick, let it settle in the drain pan for a while before disposing into a plastic bottle for taking to a recycling centre. As you're emtying the pan, check for shiny bits of metal lying at the bottom (looks like metalflake paint), this will indicate wear. If quite a bit your box is probably stuffed. If not, after each change. give it a test drive to see if there is any improvement.
I had one once where the fluid was almost black, and shifting was jerky, after just one change the difference was marked. Good luck.

jdmEG5
24-07-2013, 10:56 PM
I would definetly try the changing fluid routine, takes about 3 changes to get rid of most of any "foreign" fluid. There are no adjustments or filters you can change, Even though the old fluid looks clean on the dipstick, let it settle in the drain pan for a while before disposing into a plastic bottle for taking to a recycling centre. As you're emtying the pan, check for shiny bits of metal lying at the bottom (looks like metalflake paint), this will indicate wear. If quite a bit your box is probably stuffed. If not, after each change. give it a test drive to see if there is any improvement.
I had one once where the fluid was almost black, and shifting was jerky, after just one change the difference was marked. Good luck.

^yeah im aware of that lol.. I work in an automatic transmission workshop but im gonna do this job at home.. Was just curious if the box is compatible thats all..

thanks 2MPRS :)

any additional comments from other users?

If not, mod can close this tread.. I had a few of the same answers as 2MPRS from other people

thanks guys