PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise in certain gears.

ewhat
18-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Basically, when I drive in gear 1,2 & 3 there seems to be a some sort of grinding noise while accelerating in those gears when it reaches higher revs, 4 & 5 are fine.

I'm not really sure whats wrong but I'm thinking maybe tranny fluid? This is in a Honda civic eg5 by the way.

integraR
18-07-2013, 01:05 PM
trying using new trans oil honda MTF

get rid of old oil and put in new trans oil

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8232/dsc02110n.jpg

ewhat
18-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Will do! Cheers.

bennjamin
18-07-2013, 08:02 PM
I can't say without hearing - but at an educated guess you have a possible blown input shaft bearing. The reason for no / little noise in 4/5 is the less load on the gearbox. With the car at idle , pop the bonnet and place a long screwdriver against the gearbox around the airbox area - put your ear against the handle and if the bearing is worn it will make a loud whine which will go away when you press the clutch in

Do as a I've and change the fluid for fresh Honda mtf , then see if that helps

Otherwise you will have to drop the gearbox and open it up and see what's happening

EKVTIR-T
18-07-2013, 08:15 PM
+1 isb

ewhat
22-07-2013, 05:59 PM
How is a input shaft bearing blown in the first place, and at idle it makes a slight grinding noise and which does go away when clutch is in

bennjamin
22-07-2013, 07:26 PM
How is a input shaft bearing blown in the first place, and at idle it makes a slight grinding noise and which does go away when clutch is in

The isb is located higher than other bearings , it isn't soaked in lubricating transmission fluid, it is the first load bearing part of the engines output - all contribute to the premature failure of it. It's a common thing

chez00
22-07-2013, 11:42 PM
There are 2 input shaft bearings for the record. Both are equally likely to be the problem although I've found the front one fails firstly of the time. I have all bearings and seals in stock if you do end up pulling it apart.

Raycivic
30-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Would the problem possibly be the synchros?
Usually they go on 1st and 2nd gear.

Rage King
30-08-2013, 12:46 PM
got same noize on my GD3 jazz - its the fckin Clutch spigot bearings m8.. as long as the gear shifter goes into all gears smoothly without any hesitation and the noise only dissapears when clutch is in then spot on !

fix = replace clutch kit (kill two birds with one cum shot)

= wynning!

Adamjoeldavis
31-08-2013, 06:32 AM
For got to add in. I replaced my clutch, spindle bearing and thrust bearing and it was none of them.

Adamjoeldavis
31-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Lol what? My post didint post.... anyway
Have you ever flogged your Civic ewhat? Cause I did motorkhana, khanacross, hillclimbs and little bit of dirt road fun but I had the same issue with a very high grinding noise from the gearbox at higher revs. I replaced the clutch, thrust bearing gearbox oil and spindle bearing but ot wasnt them. So I ended up changing my gearbox 8 months later (didint had the time or place to do it myself) and shes all fixed. I found out (will take photos when I separate it when I am at my parents home again) and in the driveshaft hole I stripped 4 teeth between 1 and 3 as they are the motorkhana gears.

Rage King
31-08-2013, 10:38 AM
How long ago was the clutch replaced? Was it done correctly?

Well in that case lean towards the other possibilities that the others have mentioned.