PDA

View Full Version : 94 VTI EG question

skunk
22-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey all, im pretty new to the civic scene & have a question regarding a car im looking at.
basically looking to buy an EG, seen one that is a vti 94 eg. from my understanding the differnce between vti n vtir is vti is SOCH n vtir is DOCH yes?

now iv got a gli EG but its pretty underpowerd lol...main question is will the vti eg be more powerful then then gli EG ? (eventho only SOHC) or are they basically the same engine ?

thanks for the help guys.

ECU-MAN
22-07-2013, 05:10 PM
D16Y1 will go harder, but if your going to the trouble of a conversion, do a B16A or B18C conversion. So much more well worth it.

fillit
22-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Hey all, im pretty new to the civic scene & have a question regarding a car im looking at.
basically looking to buy an EG, seen one that is a vti 94 eg. from my understanding the differnce between vti n vtir is vti is SOCH n vtir is DOCH yes?

now iv got a gli EG but its pretty underpowerd lol...main question is will the vti eg be more powerful then then gli EG ? (eventho only SOHC) or are they basically the same engine ?

thanks for the help guys.

There is no EG VTI-R, VTI has the D16Y1 as stated above, even the EG6 is still a VTI with a B16A. VTI-R is on the EK model series, which also runs a B16A.

With that being said, D16 is still gutless, go B series or go home.

skunk
22-07-2013, 06:51 PM
thanks heaps for the info guys ! yeah a B16A conversion may be on the cards if i do end up purchasing this EG. alot depends on its current state. just wondering tho what would a conversion set me back ? wouldnt include getting it engineered etc yeh ? ie registered with vic roads bla bla

stndrd
22-07-2013, 07:29 PM
A B series conversion can set you back anywhere up to $8000 (depending on what "extras" you choose to do such as clutch, exhaust etc & what engine you start with). You then need to account for brake upgrades (if the car is drum rear) as it will not pass engineering without 4 wheel disc.

I advise the majority of my customers that it is better off to save that extra few thousand and just do a K swap, as yes the initial outlay is a bit higher, but the killerwasp/dollar ratio is alot better, along with the fact that the engines and gearboxs are alot healthier than most B series out there.

If you want advice on which way to go in regards to engine conversions & VicRoads, drop me a PM or give me a call

Jasemas
22-07-2013, 08:21 PM
This guy knows

skunk
22-07-2013, 08:32 PM
thanks heaps Stndrd ! will seriously look into it pending purchase of this EG.

Baby Face
24-07-2013, 07:06 PM
if your gonna do an engine swap why not do it to the GLI you already have?

GLI is lighter than VTi less things like sunroof, but VTi gets u cup holders.

dougie_504
30-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Buy an EK4 if you don't love your current car or go B18C if you do IMO.

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 12:44 PM
do it once do it right! k?
kswap

skunk
30-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Hey all, thanks for the replies. im please to say that iv just bought a 94 EG vti. pretty excited haha. loving the sunroof n twin cup holders !!! none of which the gl have hahah.
anyways, im in the process of looking at minor mods to help it be bit more responsive i guess.. not looking to turbo it or anything at this point in time.
ill do a search to see what info i can find interms of mods for it.. but so far im gathering CAI & exhaust ? feel free to give me pointers (new to this all)

cheers guys

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Ah the joys of modding a different engine, that looking back and saying "FFS what a waste of money if i spent a bit more i could of B swapped it or turbo'd it"

i found the EG cup holders are sh!t cant fit large maccas drink in without it hitting the dash.

other than that the EG was live-able.

skunk
30-07-2013, 12:53 PM
hahah babyface, yeah well its better than having NO cupholders n spilling maccas drink allover my pants as i used to hold it between my legs while i try n shift & eat a softserv con all at the same time lol

so u rekon leave it bog stock then ? dont even bother ? wouldnt CAI/zort help with response ? im not chasing power lol just more response really. i dont really wana go turbo it n fk up a reliable daily LOL.. iv already got an unreliable weekend warrior that spends more time in the workshop than on the road.

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 01:01 PM
turbo a D series, isnt bad idea, because engines are cheap, parts not too hard to get.

sure those things will help, but where does it end? this search for response could go from buying and trying different CAI's because you here one is better than the other etc, a 2inch exhaust probably wouldnt hurt tho to rid of the old one that could be rusty.

replace filter with a new drop in panel and replace the pipe with something that has no resonators i think would be best bet and leave it at that.

skunk
30-07-2013, 01:08 PM
cheers for that mate ! will speak to the mechanic n have a look under the car when i get the chance haha.
iv read that the stock motor internals handle a lil bit of boost, however will the gear box n shafts etc be up to par ? (cant believe im actually considering doing it LOL)

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f87/wanting-boost-your-d-series-check-here-331005/

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 01:30 PM
nothing there about upgrading the other bits, so i think they will hold, old CV boots may give though. but thats cause they are old.

dougie_504
30-07-2013, 01:39 PM
I would go an eBay CAI (for the love of god don't go Injen/AEM/ARC etc save the money), an eBay 4-2-1 header (try to find the N*Power ones, good reviews here) with a 2" outlet, an eBay high-flow cat, and a custom 2" press bent mild steel exhaust, or eBay exhaust lol.

Theme here is keep it cheap. You can probably do all this for $600-800 new. Will sound better, maybe drive better a little.

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 01:49 PM
or dont get the header since, when you go turbo you have to junk it anyway.

a cat back wont hurt for now because you can continue to use it with a turbo, but the catback for now and turbo would be different sizes optimally.

connorling
30-07-2013, 02:18 PM
hahah babyface, yeah well its better than having NO cupholders n spilling maccas drink allover my pants as i used to hold it between my legs while i try n shift & eat a softserv con all at the same time lol

so u rekon leave it bog stock then ? dont even bother ? wouldnt CAI/zort help with response ? im not chasing power lol just more response really. i dont really wana go turbo it n fk up a reliable daily LOL.. iv already got an unreliable weekend warrior that spends more time in the workshop than on the road.

i would just put a ebay intake (a AL blue tube with pod filter) for the intake sound.
and thats it.

change suspension and brakes, because u will feel more difference than engine mod.
and its useful when later on u decide to swap with b and k engine

dougie_504
30-07-2013, 02:32 PM
i would just put a ebay intake (a AL blue tube with pod filter) for the intake sound.
and thats it.

change suspension and brakes, because u will feel more difference than engine mod.
and its useful when later on u decide to swap with b and k engine

Totally agree with you on this.

I'm running a 3" aluminium CAI and some coilovers. Great for daily driving fun.

Also got the ASR subframe brace and an ITR rear sway bar which is a lot of fun too.

Plus I'm also running a header but I picked that up for $199 power coated so it was a deal that I couldn't pass up :D

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 03:26 PM
is power coat moar power?

yes the break upgrade is a must, DC2 knuckles and calipers aswell as trailing arms, booster,bmc

i did my complete upgrade for 160$

just find a teg wreck i even took the sway bars

dougie_504
30-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Better exhaust flow because the exhaust maintains a higher temperature and subsequently a higher flow velocity.

Plus reduces engine bay temps too.

Jasemas
30-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Ah the joys of modding a different engine, that looking back and saying "FFS what a waste of money if i spent a bit more i could of B swapped it or turbo'd it"

i found the EG cup holders are sh!t cant fit large maccas drink in without it hitting the dash.

other than that the EG was live-able.
Til someone stripped out the interior
And put in 4-1 headers :P hahaha

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Til someone stripped out the interior
And put in 4-1 headers :P hahaha

yeh until i put scrape everywhere headers, and removed the sound deadener.

skunk
30-07-2013, 09:43 PM
sweet ! thanks yall for the tips haha. i tihnk ill just do as suggested n go cai/zort, also i really like the sound of suspension mods.

would be nice to beable to throw a car around corners once in a while.. (weekend warrior is a boat...straight lines only lol)

i read up on here bout SRI/CAI... if im right the SRI with an airbox of somesort wouldbe best for response yeah ? dont really care bout mid range etc as i think i wont be turboing it or doing a swap anytime soon.

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 09:57 PM
a well designed SRI with a cold air feed would be your bet i think.
or a CAI, anything other than the standard pipe with all the chambers

skunk
30-07-2013, 10:20 PM
iv got a under guard CAI on the other car n im not that much of a fan of it to be honest, infact im changing it over to an airbox/intake pod/pipe settup lol...not entirely sure which is better with N/As tho !!

Baby Face
30-07-2013, 10:32 PM
suply of cold air is optimum, without being restrictive.

duzy
30-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Gratz on the purchase. Any pics?

First thing I would do is service it, new oil, oil filter, fuel filter and inspect spark plugs and change if needed. Other things like brake, clutch and gearbox fluid if its black.

As for mods, go with a short ram of some sort with an enclosed box and a cold air feed from the bumper.
Or you could go with the stock airbox, k&n panel filter, removal of resonator and add a cold air feed.

skunk
30-07-2013, 10:58 PM
thanks duzy, to be honest the car needs a few lil things fixed to pass its RWC. all thats underway as we speak haha. seriously cannot believe im wanting to mod the "daily" hahaha

ill get some pics of it when i get it back etc.

will look into the SRI with cold air feed from the bumper, by this do u mean like cut out slot / modify the front bar abit so it forces cold air ?

duzy
30-07-2013, 11:21 PM
No need to modify the front bar, just get one of those flexi pipes from bunnings or some auto stores and zip tag it to the middle grill bit

stndrd
31-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Skunk where abouts in Melb are you located?

Instead of wasting money on a few killerwasps, put a set of coilovers in it, a good set of brake pads, decent tyres and front/rear swaybars & camber arms and you will enjoy the car so much more, as you seem to have a weekend car that will do a million miles an hour in a straight line already

Daveho1
31-07-2013, 05:53 AM
^^^ this guy is correct.
dont bother modding the engine at this point work on handling and brake mods first.

dougie_504
31-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Agree also. Tyres first, then coilovers/swaybars.

Brake pads or just a complete upgrade to 262mm rotors would be nice :)

skunk
31-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Skunk where abouts in Melb are you located?

Instead of wasting money on a few killerwasps, put a set of coilovers in it, a good set of brake pads, decent tyres and front/rear swaybars & camber arms and you will enjoy the car so much more, as you seem to have a weekend car that will do a million miles an hour in a straight line already

Hey mate im in cranbourne.
sound advice, thanks so much for everyones input ! haha million miles an hr not exactly, but goes good i guess ! haha..wish the the kms per tank was just as good but i spose we cant have it both ways hahah. i might have to come down & see u stndrd !

skunk
05-08-2013, 12:52 PM
got the car on the road now, loving the sunroof so much LOL. its time to start modding, anyone know where i can get foglights from ? haha. looked on youttube n theres a vid of instal...i have no tools And limited mechanical knowledge, dont want to try n cause an engine fire hahaha.
anyone know anyone who can install these ?

euRo_noob
05-08-2013, 01:25 PM
JDMyard sells foglights - $155 shipped or try posting on Firesport/buying section for some second hand ones.

If you're from the West, I know a few people that can install em for you. Send me a PM.