PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Civic CXi EK1 - AC query - evaporator and TX valve cost

wozz
23-07-2013, 01:29 AM
I had a whole bunch of compressor oil come out the drain hose the other day. Took it to a local mob (as this is beyond me.. newb alright and my first car..) who suggested it's either of the evap or tx valve.

Taking the worst case scenario, with a new evap and thermal valve, just wondering if these prices i found in another thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?123393-EG-GLI-A-C-problem-evaporator&p=2572505&viewfull=1#post2572505) are about right?

If they are, say around $900 parts, so from an approx $1200 quote, $300 labour sound about on the money for replacement and a regass?

Thanks

Daveho1
23-07-2013, 06:01 AM
sounds expensive to me...but some new honda parts are just that, id visit the wreckers or go after market... wait leaking oil? wat

wozz
23-07-2013, 05:59 PM
id visit the wreckers or go after market... wait leaking oil? wat

i thought the link to the above was for an approximation an aftermarket one?

With regards to oil, someone might be able to chime in here but my basic understanding is: depending on the type compressor used in the AC systems, compressor oil is running throughout (with gravity and piping ensuring it goes back to the compressor or intentionally gets trapped in certain areas). If the place that recharged it included a UV dye, and a leak happens somewhere, refrigerant goes out into the atmosphere, leaving the dye somewhere near the leak - and depending where the leak/how bad it is, oil can come out too, i'm guessing due to the pressure of the escaping gas taking it with it.

There's no doubt some of that probably neeeds correcting so AC wizards feel free to!

bennjamin
24-07-2013, 08:36 AM
I had a whole bunch of compressor oil come out the drain hose the other day. Took it to a local mob (as this is beyond me.. newb alright and my first car..) who suggested it's either of the evap or tx valve.

Taking the worst case scenario, with a new evap and thermal valve, just wondering if these prices i found in another thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?123393-EG-GLI-A-C-problem-evaporator&p=2572505&viewfull=1#post2572505) are about right?

If they are, say around $900 parts, so from an approx $1200 quote, $300 labour sound about on the money for replacement and a regass?

Thanks

If oil is,coming out the drain hole there is an internal leak , letting oil get into the cooler box and thus out of the drain.

Bad seals somewhere along the cooling circuit , sounds internal so a pressure test might not show an obvious leak

Daveho1
25-07-2013, 06:10 AM
... maby its just be but ive seen whole a/c kits here going cheap as fawk, surely you can find the issue and get the relevant parts for under 200.