PDA

View Full Version : VIC If a car gets written off, do I also get the car + the money ?

Breadkingdom
23-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Just got into an accident
,some stupid lady came out on a main road without head checking and i smashed right into her rear side door.
My front part is completely smashed, bonnet, bumper , fenders , lip , headlights.
The radiators pushed in as well, the chances of the car getting written off are really high
If the car gets written off do i get the car as welll? or does the insurance company take the car away.

jprak
23-07-2013, 04:55 AM
If the car itself is under insurance, they'll take it away>assess it(high chance right off)>pay you out> and sell your car to wreckers.

i heard you can buy back the smash car off them(someone can confirm on this as im unsure)

Daveho1
23-07-2013, 05:55 AM
OP try posting in one forum. we dont take kindly to dat type of thing round ere

Grayfox
25-07-2013, 05:33 PM
If you have insurance and it is written off.

The insurance company pay you to what the market value or agreed value is.

Once they do that they are in effect buying the car off you.

Sure you can say i do not want it to be written off and i will fix it my self and then you have to pay for repairs.

euro93
31-08-2013, 11:13 PM
I've had a few mates who have bought back their cars off of the insurance after writing off their cars, but I don't know the process

Daveho1
01-09-2013, 07:34 AM
threads over mate

bennjamin
01-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Just got into an accident
,some stupid lady came out on a main road without head checking and i smashed right into her rear side door.
My front part is completely smashed, bonnet, bumper , fenders , lip , headlights.
The radiators pushed in as well, the chances of the car getting written off are really high
If the car gets written off do i get the car as welll? or does the insurance company take the car away.

FFS

m8 plz

NO ONE on this forum can tell you the correct answer.

Only the insurance company paying you out can tell you. How about you call up your insurance company or the insurance company paying you out and ask ?

simmy
01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
FFS

m8 plz

NO ONE on this forum can tell you the correct answer.

Only the insurance company paying you out can tell you. How about you call up your insurance company or the insurance company paying you out and ask ?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/01/a9yryma6.jpg

rookiemate
02-09-2013, 02:34 PM
My car got written off in the past couple months. The process for me was:

Contact the other party's insurance company as it was their fault. Make sure there was actually a claim in place and that they had all the correct information.
They then contacted me when all the admin shit had been completed and I took my car to their repair center. At the repair center they told me it was a write off and that they would not repair the car and the insurance company would get in contact with me again.
Few days later i get a call from insurance saying there will be an Assessor coming past to 'value' my car for the amount of compensation i was to receive.
Assessor came past and ask some questions, checked condition, k's etc and left saying he would call me at a later date with his value of my car.
Days later recieve a call from assessor advising me of price that i will get reimbursed and also the value of the wreck that a caryard would pay for it. He then calls and confirms said price with the insurance company.

Insurance company calls me a few days later again confirming the amount of the car and the amount of the wreck. THEY ASK ME IF I WANT TO KEEP THE WRECK.
If you say yes, they deduct the value of the wreck from the market/valued price of the car but YOU KEEP THE CAR.
If you say no you don't want to keep the wreck, then you get paid out the agreed value and they will arrange for the car to get picked up by the wreckers.

This is just my experience and understanding, I'm sure its not the exact same through all insurance companies.

Integra-GSi
08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
It really is an insurer by insurer case. I've got no idea why these kinds of things always come up on forums... Some will give you the option to buy the car back after its been assessed others won't... There is this device about yay big, by yay big attached to your wall they generally come in beige, white. or black, they were invented by Alexander Bell, you might have seen one one time. Its called a Telephone, use it to ring your insurance company. If all else fails its in the white pages, look it up.

sensei_
08-09-2013, 12:47 PM
why wouldnt it come up on the forums. some people want to know their options before talking to the insurance company. and some companies are a bitch to deal with.

Integra-GSi
08-09-2013, 12:49 PM
There are that many different possible responses to this question the only reasonable one is to say, I am not an insurance company representative.

sensei_
08-09-2013, 02:31 PM
but like some of those who have experienced it, it can be an invaluable insight to how to handle things.

yes, i understand 100s of insurers out there, 1000s of repairers/accessors and what not all with a slight twist to how they will handle things, and more often than not, loads of call centre operators based here and overseas.

eitherway, plenty of opinions have been offered. it is now up to the OP to make what he can of the information and how he wishes to handle his case with the insurer.