PDA

View Full Version : will SAFC work on a Holden Astra???

SINISTR
29-03-2005, 04:44 PM
hey guys.

I know this isn't Honda related but its Apexi SAFC related - close enough LOL

my housemate got a Holden Astra G - 1.8L but generally stock... he got plans of K&N filter, exhaust.

NOW... there is a mob in sydney or melbourne who makes CHIPS for the ECUs which basically modify the air/fuel maps to gain power etc etc - something like a Uni Chip or something. the cost of such a chip is within $900 + installation!

they claim 10kw or something more HP just from that chip - and you can have something like K&N and exhaust pre-programmed into it.

for me - it sounds like a waste of money simply because I think a SAFC can do the job just thesame if not better... especially that dyno time is real time tuning for all the mods the car has or will have in the future..

BUT - can a SAFC run on an Astra... thats virtually my question...

cheers for any ideas!

Mike

PhatSol
29-03-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't see why it couldn't work on the astra? But pretty sure the unichip is a much more advanced product than the SAFC. The e-manage would be a more comparible product to the unichip.

Fattony
29-03-2005, 05:54 PM
You are thinking of power chip and chip torque, uni chip is a complete wire in piggy back ecu and would offer more load point adjustment than the safc. I can adjust ign timming and fuel, this is genrally more pricey than the safc and powerchip. Powerchip adjust the eprom in the ecu by flashing it with new load point settings. So the settings are adjusted according to the car it was setup on and in the conditions it was done in. So yes there would be a lil more benifit in using a SAFC.

SINISTR
29-03-2005, 06:10 PM
does anyone here know, anyone with an astra and a SAFC? id like to hear some backed up facts, this works, this doesnt type thing...

my argument is: chips are set once, and set with no dyno time on a particular car... they assume this is what you run... while SAFC can be adjusted on a dyno = therefore more realistic in terms of the mods...

money wise a SAFC will cost - a guess but about $600 installed... given SAFCs are $200-$250 and couple of hours installation and dyno time...

PhatSol
29-03-2005, 07:34 PM
does anyone here know, anyone with an astra and a SAFC? id like to hear some backed up facts, this works, this doesnt type thing...

Mabey you would get a better response if you asked on an Astra forum?

panda[cRx]
29-03-2005, 07:36 PM
a VAFC would work better :D

EuroAccord13
29-03-2005, 09:23 PM
SAFC will work in any car as long as the Tuner is proficient.. My tuner installed one SAFC in a Bimmer...