PDA

View Full Version : Euro 6MT Reverse gear question

aaronng
29-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Just found a problem when I am on a slight incline and want to reverse. I let the brakes out a bit so the car is rolling backwards slowly, say below 5km/h. When I press the clutch in and shift into reverse, I get a huge GRIND! I have to be at a complete stop before the tranny will go into reverse. Is this normal? I remember with my old Corona, I could get into reverse with no problem when the car was slightly moving.

aaronng
29-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Time to answer my own question.... damn, that's lame. Anyway, I found on the US forums that their TSX also does the same thing, because there are no synchros in reverse gear. I guess the old Corona is an abnormality! :D

I'll leave this post here in case anyone else was wondering about this topic.

yfin
29-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Try selecting a forward gear before reverse - say 3rd then reverse. That is how I always do it and reverse goes in easily.

aaronng
29-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Try selecting a forward gear before reverse - say 3rd then reverse. That is how I always do it and reverse goes in easily.
Is that when you are slightly moving backwards? Because when stationary, the reverse gear goes in fine and dandy. When the car is slightly moving, I get a huge grind, even when the car is moving so slowly.

yfin
29-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Is that when you are slightly moving backwards? Because when stationary, the reverse gear goes in fine and dandy. When the car is slightly moving, I get a huge grind, even when the car is moving so slowly.

Hmmm - I can't say as I don't recall selecting reverse whilst moving! You would need to rev match first if you were moving - so I guess reverse is the same.

|N|
29-03-2005, 08:04 PM
u have to be stationany la... coz rev. gear has no syrnco...

aaronng
29-03-2005, 08:06 PM
u have to be stationany la... coz rev. gear has no syrnco...
HEhehehe.. .okok.. I'll give the rev match a try too. See if it still grinds. But thanks for the confirmation! I thought my Euro was "special" and loves to grind.

EuroAccord13
29-03-2005, 09:18 PM
I hate the grinding feeling I get sometimes from engaging reverse, breaks my heart.... But I feel better now knowing it's normal :)

SPQR
13-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Just found a problem when I am on a slight incline and want to reverse. I let the brakes out a bit so the car is rolling backwards slowly, say below 5km/h. When I press the clutch in and shift into reverse, I get a huge GRIND! I have to be at a complete stop before the tranny will go into reverse. Is this normal? I remember with my old Corona, I could get into reverse with no problem when the car was slightly moving.

My car just goes "clunk, ker-thud, ker-thud" when I shift from D to R and then blue smoke comes from the front wheels as the the engine revs to the limiter just before I hit the garage door.

Oops! Sorry, I should have looked at the original date of the post.

hisoka
13-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I hate the grinding feeling I get sometimes from engaging reverse, breaks my heart.... But I feel better now knowing it's normal :)

this is exactly how i feel. actually if you read around most if not all manual hondas do this.

oi aarong i got semi auto accord now lol. manual for the hoons

huhjared
13-09-2008, 11:50 PM
sorry but would your euro whine when you reverse it? apparently my auto euro whines when its moving on reverse sounds weird a i didnt have this sound on all my previous cars but from honda and a mate who has a euro it does whine...

hisoka
13-09-2008, 11:55 PM
i havent reversed it that much to notice now that i think about it. ill tell you tomoro.

power_of_dreams
14-09-2008, 12:05 AM
I learnt this the hard way.

The X Man
14-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Yep, my Euro whines more then the next door neighbours cat when reversing.

aaronng
14-09-2008, 01:05 AM
this is exactly how i feel. actually if you read around most if not all manual hondas do this.

oi aarong i got semi auto accord now lol. manual for the hoons

Man, this thread brings back memories. I was such a noob. heheheh

Why auto? I love my manual too much to get an auto. :p

huhjared
14-09-2008, 03:07 AM
the reverse whine sound like a remote control car on reverse... hahahah... those with an auto would fully agree... right??

Crapdaz
14-09-2008, 10:21 AM
lol HONDA = RC Car FTW!!!

imagine your toy RC car has vtec!!

migoreng
14-09-2008, 10:32 AM
anyone tried vtec in reverse?
:P

hisoka
14-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Man, this thread brings back memories. I was such a noob. heheheh

Why auto? I love my manual too much to get an auto. :p

just wanted to have a go at this semi automatic buisness on hondas. mind you manual FTW!!1 lol. i already have manual car so i just want auto for once to get a feel.

power_of_dreams
14-09-2008, 11:22 AM
the reverse whine sound like a remote control car on reverse... hahahah... those with an auto would fully agree... right??

whiiiiiiirrrrrrrppppppp.
its an embarrassment

huhjared
14-09-2008, 01:44 PM
whiiiiiiirrrrrrrppppppp.
its an embarrassment

totally agree... when i first got the car and reversed out of the drive way a mate who heard it initially thought that a very old car was reversing its way out... then he asked who was going and my mrs said it was me... he was shocked... Embarrassment is totally the correct word to use...

EUR003act
14-09-2008, 02:04 PM
sorry but would your euro whine when you reverse it? apparently my auto euro whines when its moving on reverse sounds weird a i didnt have this sound on all my previous cars but from honda and a mate who has a euro it does whine...

its to do with the syncro on reverse gear... its normal for k-series gearbox...

Type R Positive
14-09-2008, 04:41 PM
He has auto, not manual.....

btw, my CU2 does it.

hooyn
14-09-2008, 06:12 PM
mine whines. other cars ive driven whine as well
lol.........

YSBK
20-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Greetings all, first time poster.

The whine is actually due to the fact that the reverse gear teeth pattern is straight cut rather than helical.

It's the same for auto or manual, and same for most other cars too, not just Hondas :)

I'll leave the link to do the explainin'...

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/archives/archive74/newposts/972/topic972642.shtm

integral90
20-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Greetings all, first time poster.

The whine is actually due to the fact that the reverse gear teeth pattern is straight cut rather than helical.

It's the same for auto or manual, and same for most other cars too, not just Hondas :)

I'll leave the link to do the explainin'...

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/archives/archive74/newposts/972/topic972642.shtm

You're right, but try not to revive dead threads :p

aaronng
20-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Haha, this thread brings back memories. Me as a noob.

integral90
20-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Haha, this thread brings back memories. Me as a noob.

Why are you talking like it was a thing of the past? :p

PS: JOKINg! YOU STILL HAVE TO HELP ME

aaronng
21-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Why are you talking like it was a thing of the past? :p

PS: JOKINg! YOU STILL HAVE TO HELP ME

I can't even get into reverse gear. How the hell am I going to be able to help you? :p

Crapdaz
24-03-2009, 10:01 AM
hahaha i vtec in reverse once a day!