PDA

View Full Version : OIL PROBLEM and smoke DC2R

fly_vti
29-03-2005, 07:25 PM
:( hey people, i just got my car fully serviced at good peformance inc oil ect. 1 week later my oil from full is gone to just under a quarter. :o

i checked under my car in the garage and there is no oil marks on the ground.

friday to sunday i was crusing and vtecing to 8.5k. alot because i was * ECU-MAN EDIT* no street racing type of posts please
is it because the vtecing? or is there another problem.

ALSO!! sometimes little bits of black smoke come out when i change gears comes out of my exhaust.. so my mates say when there behind. is this related to the too much vtecing. what is it. does anyone elses car smoke a little when reving hard and is it normal for oil to go down 3/4 in 1 week of hard driving what is wrong.. please help...:(

kenshin
29-03-2005, 07:43 PM
i had that problem...

did an oil change to mobile 1 synthetic 5/50... used the nulon oil change fluid b4 drainning the old oil (shell 10/50 (dont recomend and wont personally touch another shell product again)). problem is pretty much gone now... i do get black dust particles at the back but i believe thats cause there's still the old oil in the system... its barely noticable (before i would drive for 10 mins and my rear bumper would be covered in black soot)

also before i did the oil change i noticed there was barely any oil left as the dipstick was clean....

itr025
29-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Did you run the car a bit before you checked it the first time? Might have been just an inacurate reading if you just checked it straight after pouring the oil in.

If not, then it seems to be buring an unusual amount of oil... I'd top it up and check it after a week.

And regarding engine oils, I used to use Mobil 1 as well, but found it quite noisy and didn't rev as smooth. I'm now using Motul Chrono 300V 10w-40 and am literally addicted to the stuff. I'd highly recommend it. It's costly at around 80/4 litres (comes in 2 litre containers) but I reckon it's definitely worth it.

tinkerbell
30-03-2005, 12:56 PM
can be due to worn piston rings and valve guides...

uetecu
30-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Doesn;t sound good if your engine is stock.
A full day at track you shouldn't even see oil going down much.

Get it checked out dude

uetecu
30-03-2005, 01:22 PM
It may cause some serious damage if you run below min! :eek:

fly_vti
30-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Did you run the car a bit before you checked it the first time? Might have been just an inacurate reading if you just checked it straight after pouring the oil in.

If not, then it seems to be buring an unusual amount of oil... I'd top it up and check it after a week.

And regarding engine oils, I used to use Mobil 1 as well, but found it quite noisy and didn't rev as smooth. I'm now using Motul Chrono 300V 10w-40 and am literally addicted to the stuff. I'd highly recommend it. It's costly at around 80/4 litres (comes in 2 litre containers) but I reckon it's definitely worth it.

yeh people the car was cold as ice when i checked the oil. and the car was on a flat surface so yeh. my car was serviced at good peformance. genuine honda high peformance oil was used. is this stuff good or what? :confused: im scared of driving my car around. i will be topping the oil up tommorow and if it goes down again i will be leaving it at a good servicing place until its fixed.

fly_vti
30-03-2005, 07:12 PM
:!:
i had that problem...

did an oil change to mobile 1 synthetic 5/50... used the nulon oil change fluid b4 drainning the old oil (shell 10/50 (dont recomend and wont personally touch another shell product again)). problem is pretty much gone now... i do get black dust particles at the back but i believe thats cause there's still the old oil in the system... its barely noticable (before i would drive for 10 mins and my rear bumper would be covered in black soot)

also before i did the oil change i noticed there was barely any oil left as the dipstick was clean....

man ur problem sounds exactly like mine!!!!!!!! my bumper expecially around the exhaust area gets covered in all the black crap whenever i drive. and when i give it it gives a little smoke. (thats what my friends say when there behind me ) how did u fix it man. did ur oil drop rapidly like mine. caz i like to vtec alot. :D

10KRPM
30-03-2005, 07:14 PM
This is strange for it to be burning this much oil. And also if theres only a qtr left....wouldnt the engine have lunched itself by now?

fly_vti
30-03-2005, 07:16 PM
This is strange for it to be burning this much oil. And also if theres only a qtr left....wouldnt the engine have lunched itself by now?

man im at 90thousand kays. on my engine. done scare me with how my engine is dying :( snif sniff :(

bennjamin
30-03-2005, 07:39 PM
engines nroimally use oil - one place is circulated thru the PCV system in vapour - and is directly burned off in the intake charge. MY educated guess is that at alot of WOT ( lots of "vtecking" ) the PCV system does induct much more oil vapour and thus more gets burnt off... somtehing like 500mls for 1000k's of normal driving is apparently the norm ? ( ive been told)

tinkerbell
30-03-2005, 09:41 PM
brrrrrrt. nope.

the PCV valve closes under WOT so no oil gets through...

the PCV valve opens at idle when the is vacuum high...

tinkerbell
30-03-2005, 09:42 PM
man im at 90thousand kays. on my engine. done scare me with how my engine is dying :( snif sniff :(

get a mechanic to check your compression on all four cylinders, this will show you if you have an internals problem...

OZ#227
31-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Black Smoke = Fuel
White/Grey smoke = Oil

fly_vti
31-03-2005, 05:31 PM
get a mechanic to check your compression on all four cylinders, this will show you if you have an internals problem...

man thankyou all you make me feel better. thanks oz.. so the black smoke is the fuel ay.. man i need a hardcore checkup on my car. man tinkerbell do you know any good mechanics who can chek for internal problems without ripping apart my motor and charging me 800 bux for a quote lol.. anyone?? :confused:

fly_vti
31-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Black Smoke = Fuel
White/Grey smoke = Oil

sup oz.. thanks for your post on my thread. so black = fuel and whie/black is oil.. when i start or turn my car off the exhaust sprays this black dots that onto the ground whats that a part of?

fly_vti
31-03-2005, 05:34 PM
i checked my oil today and it has risen to just above half!!!! :):) maybe because i havnt used it in 2 days.

tinkerbell
31-03-2005, 06:45 PM
or you measured it straight after turning off the engine, lol!

the oil has all drained to the sump!

start it, run for a few minutes, shut off, then see how much oil is REALLY there?!?

HONDATEC
31-03-2005, 06:57 PM
the problem is the piston rings have worn because of the same reason why every other DOHC VTEC piston rings have worn and then smoke when are being reved at high rpm's, because GENUINE HONDA OIL is not used from when the car is new, if honda oil is used from new and changed with the oil filter every 5000kms or if the car is driven hard to be changed every 3000kms (the sooner the better) than this problem will not happen till around 600000kms.

bennjamin
31-03-2005, 07:03 PM
the problem is the piston rings have worn because of the same reason why every other DOHC VTEC piston rings have worn and then smoke when are being reved at high rpm's, because GENUINE HONDA OIL is not used from when the car is new, if honda oil is used from new and changed with the oil filter every 5000kms or if the car is driven hard to be changed every 3000kms (the sooner the better) than this problem will not happen till around 600000kms.

*squints*

Guys , please use proper sentence structure , paragraphs and even full stops for the sake of our eyes + sanity !
:D

tinkerbell
31-03-2005, 09:20 PM
and DONT make broad generalised statements without providing any info to prove/substantiate your claims!!!

HONDATEC - could you please explain how piston rings wear prematurely due to the oil?

Javed
31-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Man I feel sorry for your car. A DC2R shouldn't be thrashed like that. My advice is to take it to a reputable mechanic, and get a full inspection.

whtdc2
31-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Man I feel sorry for your car. A DC2R shouldn't be thrashed like that. My advice is to take it to a reputable mechanic, and get a full inspection.
DC2 is a very very good car, but B18C is slut, every time you have to F##K, oh sorry, you have to drive it hard, then the motor will be happy. All B18C drinks oil, mine drinks a lot when I took the car to the track, I think is normal, just keep an eye on the oil stick.

MACBOYZ78
01-04-2005, 12:17 AM
same here!!! i have the same problem 2, if u find out anything,please let me know. thanks

OZ#227
01-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Well I reacon your car behaves like you treat it.....

I think it's got more to do with how your car was run-in, as well as treated day-to-day. Regular Services.

I used dino Oil until 10,000. Oil change 2,000(Freebie Honda), 5,000 & at 10,000 changed to Mobil 1 (was using 0w-40) now using 10w-30. New filters every time. Never thresh it until it well and truly warmed-up. Changed oil for trackdays, and, or again after trackdays. I normally change brake fluid as well. My car never use oil between changes, unless at the track. There it uses a small amount, about 100ml. Which is to be expected, being in VTEC all day.