PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

axispower
30-07-2013, 04:00 PM
First question:
Anyone here with aftermarket exhaust system (im running weapon r headers + cat converter) have any exhaust rattle at idle? All my bolts have been tightened.

Can it be 'fixed'? My stock exhaust didnt rattle.

Second question:
My brakes are often squealy, but the pads (OEM) are all fine. What can I do about this? I don't brake hard and late.

DreadAngel
30-07-2013, 04:03 PM
A1 - What exhaust do you have?

A2 - If the stock pads have plenty of material left, you should first put on anti-squeal brake grease. If this reduces but does not eliminate then look towards the other components [eg. Rotors and Calipers]

curtis265
30-07-2013, 04:04 PM
1. did u bust your cat? - try hit it with a hammer or something

2. brake pads might be running thin or u might have a rock in there

axispower
30-07-2013, 04:07 PM
A1 - What exhaust do you have?

A2 - If the stock pads have plenty of material left, you should first put on anti-squeal brake grease. If this reduces but does not eliminate then look towards the other components [eg. Rotors and Calipers]

Stock catback.

Is the anti squeal brake grease a temporary solution? Will it need to be reapplied later on?

axispower
30-07-2013, 04:09 PM
1. did u bust your cat? - try hit it with a hammer or something

2. brake pads might be running thin or u might have a rock in there

I thought it was the cat so I tightened it up. And I dont think there are any holes in it or anything loose inside of it... but id probably have to get my mechanic to help me out. Would it have something to do with the cut and weld?

DreadAngel
30-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Stock catback.

Is the anti squeal brake grease a temporary solution?

No, anti-squeal brakes are applied when new pads are put it, but depending on how the design of the pads/calipers are, some retain the grease better than others. Grease also overtime gets used up/displaced

I thought it was the cat so I tightened it up. Would it have something to do with the fact these extractors were cut and welded to fit a cat converter?

Curtis is referring to the inside of the CAT ie the matrix collapsing and ratting around.

curtis265
30-07-2013, 04:22 PM
^yep that's right.

was refeering to the core of the cat, apologies for not making that clear

axispower
30-07-2013, 04:24 PM
No, anti-squeal brakes are applied when new pads are put it, but depending on how the design of the pads/calipers are, some retain the grease better than others. Grease also overtime gets used up/displaced

Ok thanks

Curtis is referring to the inside of the CAT ie the matrix collapsing and ratting around.

I see. I wouldn't know but I'll get it checked out. Thanks to the both of you

curtis265
30-07-2013, 04:37 PM
^as i said before, whack it with a hammer. shake it around.

Fredoops
30-07-2013, 04:38 PM
First question:
Anyone here with aftermarket exhaust system (im running weapon r headers + cat converter) have any exhaust rattle at idle? All my bolts have been tightened.

Can it be 'fixed'? My stock exhaust didnt rattle.

Race header + no flex pipe = Rattle, get used to it lol

it's not the exhaust/cat necessarily.

Second question:
My brakes are often squealy, but the pads (OEM) are all fine. What can I do about this? I don't brake hard and late.

machine the disks

axispower
30-07-2013, 04:40 PM
^as i said before, whack it with a hammer. shake it around.

will do

axispower
30-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Race header + no flex pipe = Rattle, get used to it lol

it's not the exhaust/cat necessarily.

Thats what I thought but just in case i thought i might ask.

machine the disks

Noob question: can you expand on this please?

Chernoby1
30-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Mine doesnt have a flex pipe but rather has a bolt through a spring holding the flanges together. This lets the flanges move in out slightly and the whole mechanism tends rattle at low rpms. Probs hits some resonant frequency and the spring goes a tad nuts.

DreadAngel
30-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Noob question: can you expand on this please?

Fredoops means when machining the disk is to make the surface true/flat again. Brake Disks/Rotors overtime and usage can have imperfections that can alter the rotor's surface to be not flat. This can cause squeal but usually more associated with vibration/pulsation.

NB: IF you do machine the rotors, ensure there is enough material left, there are indicators to check this =)

axispower
30-07-2013, 11:13 PM
ok thanks for that