PDA

View Full Version : My Sleeper cl9 Progress & Reviews of mods

Mugen_Euro
14-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Hey guys i just figure id post up my progress thus far and a few reviews of the little bits and pieces ive installed.

Engine Mods
- CT Ice box intake
- J35 throttle body
- RBC intake manifold
- Hondata heatshield gasket
- PLM headers
- Metal performance 200 cel cat
- Custom 3" catback (2 15'' resonators and single muffler)
- Vision Engine torque dampner

Transmision
- H-Drive gears 1-3
- 4.7 final drive
- Competition puk clutch
- Lightened flywheel
- Helical LSD

Suspension & Handling
- Cusco lower tie bar
- cusco front strut
- progress 22mm rear sway bar

Brakes
- Dba gold series drilled and slotted front rotors
- EBC Yellow's all round

Interior
- GROM aux/usb input

Still to come
- Mesh grille, vtc gear and TSX 06 intake cam waiting in my room

Then Flash Pro + tune maybe coilovers and ill be happy for this year :D

As far as reviews

Ct intake - This tbh didnt make much of a difference in performance nor sound, it sounded agressive the day i installed it but over time mellowed out. Cant be heard over my exhaust now. Its impact is aparently low end 2-4k rpm? not doing it for me tbh. Still rate the K&N typhoon CAI much better, will be looking inot swapping for that or GruppeM intake for bling

RBC & J35 & heatshield gasket were installed together. *NOTE: do not install until ready for tuning. The low end torque loss is very realisable, not much of a difference felt up high in the rev range either. This will pay off with a tune but untill then cant comment on it being very worthwhile. My mistake....

Headers + cat + exhaust was all done at once - the car felt like it revved up much easier, it pulls much better particularly past 5000rpm, most worthwhile mod id done at the time. Downside is its loud as hell, and every fool out there tries to race you when they hear it. Hopeing the 3" helps when tuned

Next to go in was the bars and brakes
The combination of these components was the most worthwhile modification id done. The car sits much flatter in the corners with next to no body roll, although when putting the rsb on the stiffer setting i found the back to kick out very easily when cornering hard - not necessarily a bad thing unless you don't expect it, as i didnt the first few times i took it to the twisties. Having good grippy tyres will help with this too but im currently running on shit $50 tyres :(

The brakes were amazing to say the least, much more responsive and much less distance required to come to stop, the brake dust however is absurd. Did i mention they look sweet :D

ETD was next to install now as oposed to what most people say i didnt feel that the car felt quicker when accelerating, however it really does help with the smoothness of shifting

Up until this point the fuel economy of the car had gone from 8l/100 to around 8.8-9 so not too bad, drivability is much the same as stock sadly, but it pulls well under heavy acceleration.
Had a play with my mates ep3 (i/h/e + jays racing ecu? ) and id keep up until my shift into 2nd, where he'd fly infront of me. But i close in on him at the top of 2nd and catch up in 3rd.

The transmission was the most fun out of all the mods tho, if youve got the money to spend. The final drive really woke the car up it pulls very freely in every gear now, for instance there is a hill near where i live where i must shift down from 6th in order to maintain a speed of 80, now i can comfortably accelerate past 80 up the hill in 6th.
At 80 the car sits at about 2.1k rpm
At 100 its around 2.8k rpm --> bit of a bummer but a price im willing to pay
Fuel economy has gone from 9l/100 -> 12ish under normal driving mixed of start stop and hwy
can sit around 13+ when i give it a beating

The gear set has helped a million in acceleration. We all know that dead spot after shifting out of first, our revs fall much too low and must build again to feel any power, but now after shifting into 2nd i fall at about 5.2k rpm and the fun continues :D
it pulls to 80km/k in first 105ish in second, and i havent yet taken it to the top of third. The gears are also much more usable in day to day driving, overtaking is a breeze no need to drop it into second anymore, just pump it in third and away you go.

The down side to all this however was
1 fuel economy
2 my speedo is way outa whack

The Clutch is an absolute bitch to get a hang of, grips straight away, havent tested it out too much as im still braking it in (not sure if needed with puk clutches but ill do it anyway).
*The LSD is also yet to be tested but i can feel the difference in the bends i come across on my route to work, realy does pull quite nicely in the corners now and in big bends i can now stay on the throttle while cornering

As for GROM unit - its awesome, sound quality is brilliant, only issue is youve realy gotta turn up the volume to hear it :(
can also now charge my phone at the same time which is a bonus
downside is i cant change songs or volume with steering wheel when using AUX.

Ill keep you guys posted with my progress, im aiming for 160KW atw if possible once the vtc and cam and flashpro go in + tune. Should be a ripper of a drive once its done :)

Phorist
14-08-2013, 06:59 PM
nice work so far

Mugen_Euro
14-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Should also give a big shout out to Josh at Sleeping Performance. Truly a nice bloke, helped me source a few of the parts and installed 80% of that stuff, no issues so far.

sodaz
14-08-2013, 08:07 PM
160kw ATW - impossible without turbo.

hanzzi
14-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Nice set of mods. Must be fun to drive now. Will be even better when you get a tune.

xenonkuraz
14-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Ummm...very possible

My mates k24 dc2 makes mid 150kw NA

axispower
14-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Nice.

Mugen_Euro
14-08-2013, 10:04 PM

160kw atw is very possible without a turbo. theirs a bloke on AUSEURO who recently got to 165 front wheel KW still NA, tuned by BYP. Even if the number reads a bit high I wouldn't be surprised if i get something close to that. Do your research mate, the K series is a good platform for NA power if you've got the time and money.

axispower
14-08-2013, 11:07 PM
^You mean someone other than EUR011? His CL9 got 156kw atw didn't it? I cant remember...

Phorist
14-08-2013, 11:31 PM
160kw is easy to do. You could get that with just bolt ons.

There's a guy over here in Perth that's pushing a lot more than that NA.

I think that with the right tune what you have added so far should easily get you 160.

Mugen_Euro
15-08-2013, 12:32 AM
^You mean someone other than EUR011? His CL9 got 156kw atw didn't it? I cant remember...
Yer Jhim got 156ish but had the type r gearbox, Steven got 165 with stg 2 cams

Mugen_Euro
15-08-2013, 12:34 AM
160kw is easy to do. You could get that with just bolt ons.

There's a guy over here in Perth that's pushing a lot more than that NA.

I think that with the right tune what you have added so far should easily get you 160.

Im not sure, originally id hoped for 170-180, but from the results other people have gotten so far it looks like 160 is the rough mark, either way im more interested in the gains than the peak numbers

Fredoops
15-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Since you already got the gearbox modded, throw in lightened/underdriven pulley, that's another few kw right there.

axispower
15-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Yer Jhim got 156ish but had the type r gearbox, Steven got 165 with stg 2 cams

Nice do you have a link to his? (stevens)

Mugen_Euro
15-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Not sure if Steve is on here, go to auseuro on Facebook and look up Steven d. Him, the guy that has jhims euro now and another bloke Daniel v had got nearly 160. There's also a guy down n Melbourne that's still tunning his k frank which will probably be the best of them all.
As for the pulleys, I've been trying to find out if the k24 is internally balanced, and if their is a big drain on the AC. But it is on my to do list

Fredoops
15-08-2013, 03:12 PM
As for the pulleys, I've been trying to find out if the k24 is internally balanced
it is, all K are
http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/impp_0809_2008_honda_civic_si_power_pages/nst_lightweight_pulley_set.html

TheSaint
15-08-2013, 05:23 PM
strange that you are having this experience with the CT icebox intake
i have tried several intake kits on my 2004 CL9 luxury (no other engine mods)
- K+N short ram ... was loud in a bad way and lost alot of torque
- Apexi pod straight onto the stock pipe - same as the K+N but lost power and torque
- Fujita/Injen (cant remember which) CAI - sounded a bit better and gained power in the top end but lost too much torque and mid range
- CT Icebox with K+N panel filter and sealed lip - same as stock but worse fuel economy
- CT Icebox with CT panel filter (unifilter - auto1 stock them now) - best overall out of the lot, not as much gain in top end as the CAI but massive gain in mid range torque

i was researching exhaust options and from what i have read the standard exhaust is good for up to around 200hp and i like the sound of just the intake on mine so i think i will leave it
there is the option of removing the second oval barrel resonator for a little more deep note but meh lol

the one thing i really want to try on my car is Hondata reflash but cant find anyone that does it in AU

as for the pulleys - if you are running any high powered lighting or a stereo i would not get the underdrive kit - but the light weight kit will still give a nice gain over stock and with the bonus of running a stock belt (ie no size change or chasing part numbers) - i just ordered my kit from member/trader on here "Extremer!" and cost about $260 shipped out

TheSaint
15-08-2013, 05:29 PM
also may i ask where you sourced the TSX intake cam from and how much it cost? im looking to do that mod myself
same question for the J35 throttlebody? and did you use a spacer gasket with it?

and to get the flash pro dont you need to get a TSX ecu as well?

how did you find the quality of the PLM headers?

are you planning on getting the TODA VTC actuator?

Fredoops
15-08-2013, 07:24 PM
strange that you are having this experience with the CT icebox intake

Thats the exact same experience i had with mine.

Heres an intake shootout done my HeelToe
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tech-articles/engine/intake-shootout-04-08-acura-tsx.html

CT icebox is one of the best intakes, only K&N Typhoon beats it.

i was researching exhaust options and from what i have read the standard exhaust is good for up to around 200hp and i like the sound of just the intake on mine so i think i will leave it
there is the option of removing the second oval barrel resonator for a little more deep note but meh lol

Exhaust/Catback itself isnt the chokepoint at all

The chokepoint is Header + Cat.

the one thing i really want to try on my car is Hondata reflash but cant find anyone that does it in AU
I replied to your other thread on this

as for the pulleys - if you are running any high powered lighting or a stereo i would not get the underdrive kit - but the light weight kit will still give a nice gain over stock and with the bonus of running a stock belt (ie no size change or chasing part numbers) - i just ordered my kit from member/trader on here "Extremer!" and cost about $260 shipped out
Im running Ralco RZ pulley at the moment, its great for low and mid range, and awsome on an auto.

also may i ask where you sourced the TSX intake cam from and how much it cost? im looking to do that mod myself
same question for the J35 throttlebody? and did you use a spacer gasket with it?

TSX intake cam is sourced from the US, but both would mean you 'd have to get a tune.

Yes a particular year model ECU, as well as playing with a wire from the ECU to the OBD2 Port, because our cars dont have K-line/Can-bus which the Hondata uses.

Most here just uses a 50 degree VTC from the K20, cheaper.

stndrd
15-08-2013, 08:22 PM

I have done the majority of work carried out on Chamie's car. He came to me wanting the PLM's and exhaust done and the quality of the PLM's are very high.

For the flashpro, as has been stated alot, for the early Euro you will need TSX ECU of same year from the US then run flashpro.

TSX cam, J35, RBC & 50 degree VTC I can supply all brand new in box. Drop me a PM for further details

Fredoops
15-08-2013, 08:37 PM
I have done the majority of work carried out on Chamie's car.

Can vouch, good bloke

TheSaint
15-08-2013, 10:18 PM
the pulley kit i have ordered is the Ralco RZ

its obvious that you get the TSX intake cam from US - im more interested in a specific source

ill definatly be changing the headers and cat on mine - going to get Comptech Engineering header

and i dont trust the 50deg VTC as its past the interference tolerance and you are then relying on engine management to control it
i would prefer a mechanical stop - either the 50deg VTC with pins or the Toda VTC - i wouldnt bother otherwise

Thats the exact same experience i had with mine.

Heres an intake shootout done my HeelToe
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tech-articles/engine/intake-shootout-04-08-acura-tsx.html

CT icebox is one of the best intakes, only K&N Typhoon beats it.

Exhaust/Catback itself isnt the chokepoint at all

The chokepoint is Header + Cat.

I replied to your other thread on this

Im running Ralco RZ pulley at the moment, its great for low and mid range, and awsome on an auto.

TSX intake cam is sourced from the US, but both would mean you 'd have to get a tune.

Yes a particular year model ECU, as well as playing with a wire from the ECU to the OBD2 Port, because our cars dont have K-line/Can-bus which the Hondata uses.

Most here just uses a 50 degree VTC from the K20, cheaper.

TheSaint
15-08-2013, 10:19 PM
thanks for the info - pm incoming =)

I have done the majority of work carried out on Chamie's car. He came to me wanting the PLM's and exhaust done and the quality of the PLM's are very high.

For the flashpro, as has been stated alot, for the early Euro you will need TSX ECU of same year from the US then run flashpro.

TSX cam, J35, RBC & 50 degree VTC I can supply all brand new in box. Drop me a PM for further details

Fredoops
15-08-2013, 11:26 PM
the pulley kit i have ordered is the Ralco RZ
Same as mine, from Extremer!, except he charged me more than $260

ill definatly be changing the headers and cat on mine - going to get Comptech Engineering header
Consider Weapon-R race header or PLM instead, they're both race header that would net you more gains

Except PLM is so long that it'll mean you'll have to cut into your Stock catback to fit it with a cat, which is why i personally perfer Weapon-R.

and i dont trust the 50deg VTC as its past the interference tolerance and you are then relying on engine management to control it
i would prefer a mechanical stop - either the 50deg VTC with pins or the Toda VTC - i wouldnt bother otherwise

Which is why im getting a 25 degree machined.

TheSaint
15-08-2013, 11:52 PM
im pretty set on getting the comptech header - done alot of research on the ups and downs of all of them
unless a toda pops up for the same price lol

consider getting this as a cheap alternative to the toda VTC

http://shop.tractuffstuff.com/TracTuff-K-Series-VTC-Limiter-TT-VTCL.htm

Phorist
16-08-2013, 12:05 AM
isn't the weapon r and toda a similar design?

TheSaint
16-08-2013, 12:23 AM
isn't the weapon r and toda a similar design?

Weapon R
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/productImages_thumbBIG/1267036295361338.jpg

Toda
http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/product/ex_mani/k24a-cl9.jpg

Comptech Engineering
http://carphotos3.cardomain.com/images/0015/49/07/15999470_large.jpg

PLM
https://www.privatelabelmfg.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PLM-HK24-HEADER-2.jpg

all of the designs look fairly unique

Fredoops
16-08-2013, 12:41 AM
all of the designs look fairly unique

Weapon R is similar to J's (*cough* copy)
http://www.inspire-usa.com/assets/images/js%20racing/tsx/xa-e2-01.jpg

PLM is a stralight replica/copy of Hytech
http://image.importtuner.com/f/powerpages/impp_1206_2004_acura_tsx_part_2/37574110/impp-1206-04-o%2b2004-acura-TSX-part-2%2bhytech-header.jpg

Good thing about the Weapon R is that it comes with a test pipe, so you can grab any ole' metal cat and weld it on.

with CT-Engineering, you'd need to by a high flow cat on it's own.

To get the most out of our VTC increase you'd want a race header, the flow rate of CT-E and My DC's are similar (well they are very similar in design, CTE is 1 piece, DC 2 piece) neither are really race headers, you can just tel my the size and length of the runners.

TheSaint
16-08-2013, 01:01 AM
i was planning to get the CT-E header and a 100 or 200 cel magnaflow (or whatever brand) cat and have them modded to fit

then after a while i was going to look at the VTC mod - but i was assuming i would need engine management to run it?

Fredoops
16-08-2013, 01:05 AM
yes, VTC mod requires engine management

hanzzi
16-08-2013, 06:58 AM
im pretty set on getting the comptech header - done alot of research on the ups and downs of all of them
unless a toda pops up for the same price lol

consider getting this as a cheap alternative to the toda VTC

http://shop.tractuffstuff.com/TracTuff-K-Series-VTC-Limiter-TT-VTCL.htm

Im also using the tractuff limiter. It has done its job so far.

TheSaint
16-08-2013, 03:36 PM
does the TSX intake cam mod require management as well? or can you get a small gain out of it using the AU CL9 ecu?

ps. thanks for all the info - Fredoops your a legend (no pun intended)

now if only we got the CL9 Wagon in australia ... lol

Fredoops
16-08-2013, 03:37 PM
does the TSX intake cam mod require management as well? or can you get a small gain out of it using the AU CL9 ecu?

Yes to engine management

TheSaint
16-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Yes to engine management

so running it on a stock ecu will not work? or will not net any gains?

ricerockets
16-08-2013, 09:25 PM
.... its obvious that you get the TSX intake cam from US - im more interested in a specific source....

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/honda-genuine-cam-usdm-06-08-cl9-tsx-intake-camshaft-rbb.html?productid=5077

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/honda-genuine-cam-usdm-09-11-cu2-tsx-intake-camshaft-rl5.html?productid=66100

wuism
16-08-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm using OEM 50 deg vtc tuned to 40 deg and no issues. Using toda spec C cams as well and motor revs to 8300 rpm.
Stock k24 bottom block.
I was once concerned about it but have been proven wrong. 2 years and car still running strong. No issues.

TheSaint
16-08-2013, 11:43 PM
i have no doubt that you can tune it to run at 40deg with engine management
but theres no mechanical stop gap there preventing a break in engine tolerance
so if the ecu somehow reset or theres is some sort of electrical fault than it leaves the chance there

if i went with the 50deg VTC i would buy the pins for $30 as a safety measure

Phorist
17-08-2013, 01:53 AM
haha the wu speaks!

TheSaint
17-08-2013, 02:00 AM
phorist and wu - we have top meet up some time - i moved to perth now =p

wuism
17-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Yeh. That is up to you but you don't really need too. I was adamant that I would want a mechanical stop as well. It is hydraulically control and if the pressure was to break then VTC should go down to 0 deg.

Phorist
18-08-2013, 01:22 AM
phorist and wu - we have top meet up some time - i moved to perth now =p

sounds good. you should show up to one of the phc meets.

If not I think Bede should organize a Vtecnique meet

Mugen_Euro
18-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Already got the vtc ear
The tsx cam was from Heeltoeauto.com around 600 bucks I think, no need to upgrade valve train with it is a bonus
Revzone is victorias hondata distributer they can also reflash ur ecu, so if ur local u can bring it in, otherwise if u can spare ur car for a week or so mail them the ecu and they will perform reflash, but its like 1200 I think just for that...
The PLM headers feel pretty good for under 600 :D can definitely feel a gain, little bit better than the CT headers on my last euro, only issue is because their so long u must cut your exhaust to fit..
I think the reason I don't like the intake too much is because its relatively silent and any gains made low-middle range would be lost in my rbc manifold.....

TheSaint
18-08-2013, 02:22 PM
sounds good. you should show up to one of the phc meets.

If not I think Bede should organize a Vtecnique meet

yeah im going to get him to let me know when there is something on so i can tag along with him
got too many cars that i could bring tho lol

Daleyb93
22-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Can I hijack for a moment and ask OP what LSD they have?
KTHXbai
Dale.

Mugen_Euro
25-08-2013, 12:16 PM
H-Drive Helical LSD. well worth the money