PDA

View Full Version : Share your track experiences

toE
30-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I've never been to an organised trackday, nor spectated.

So, for those who've been to one, would you please share your experiences.

When you're on the track itself, racing/driving/having fun, what happens? What's the format, if there is any?

I've heard that you actually wait in the "pits" for your turn. Come your turn, you go out, do about 3-4 laps, then return to the "pits", break, then go out again. Is this true?

How many hours basically do you get out of a trackday? Is it a full day?

SPEEDCORE
30-03-2005, 12:59 PM
It really depends what format they are running on the day and what type of racing.
"I've heard that you actually wait in the "pits" for your turn. Come your turn, you go out, do about 3-4 laps, then return to the "pits", break, then go out again. Is this true?"

Yes this is the format that is run at QR with their Sat. Sprint Series, but with a few more laps... around 5-6 + 1 cool down.

ekslut
30-03-2005, 01:00 PM
What you would usually go to is called a sprint day. This is done over a day, and sometimes some clubs have a practice day, on the day before (like PIARC).

What usually happens is that you would all get divided up into different groups. Usually there will be about 4-5 groups of about 10-20 cars. It all depends on how many people turn up on the day, and what class they are in.

You will get to do around 4-5 sessions, of about 15-20min runs at a time. So depending on the track and how quick you are, you can get around 10 laps in. Your whole group will be sent out at once, but you are timed individually, not against what the others are doing, like racing. You can go out there and do slow laps if you want to get used to the track first, if people are quicker than you just move to the side and let them through.

When your not out on the track you will be parked up in the carpark, doing whatever you like (grabbing something to eat/drink, havign a chat). Then when your group is called you go to the pits and wait for the group out on the track to come in, and for you to be sent out.

So in the end, you usually need to get to the track at 8:30-9:00am for scruteneering, and registering. And you usually leave at about 5:00pm. So between that time you will get about 1 hour minimum of track time.

If you decide to go on track, your car has to be in roadworthy condition, you need a helmet, wear cotton full length clothes (jumpers, pants), hood needs to be tied down, you need a CAMS licence....and there are a few more things I can't remember too.

I am sure there is more stuff I have forgotten, but this is the basic way the days are run. Just get out there, go at your own pace and have fun. Practice your lines and cornering techniques before you try to push yourself too hard.

This is with my experience with Phillip Island (PIARC) Have fun :D

Kawasaki
30-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Would a standard car with aftermarket pads be ok for 5-6 laps?

Also how would one go about securing their bonnet without pins?

ekslut
30-03-2005, 01:15 PM
yeah, standard cars are fine. I have seen many standard cars on track. The pads is a good addition, coz I have seen cars last 1 lap on standard pads before they lost their brakes.

To tie down your bonnet all you need to do is get a bit of rope and tie it down. Thats all I did. Just put it through the latch bit on the hood, and then close the bonnet and then reach through your front bar and tie it around the bar or whatever you can see that is secure.

toE
30-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanx for that insight Trev.

How was your first time out? Were you nervous? Excited? Anxious?

Any other members' experiences? Crashes/slides?

itr025
30-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Just make sure you have your engine oil topped up and not too old (fresh oil is never a bad idea), coolant topped up, brake fluid clean (a flush before hand if it's been a while), brake pads not low and tyres have tread. Also check tyre pressures before you go.

I'd recommend a warm up and cool down lap before and after your sprints too. A cool down lap especially so your brake discs can cool down more gradually.

ekslut
30-03-2005, 02:20 PM
I was nervous at first. Especially when lining up in the pits for the first time. But after a few corners, you quickly forget about nerves and everyone else out there, and the excitement takes over. Before you know it your chasing down cars that on the street you would have no hope of catching (S14, S15, S3, M3, WRX) Its heaps of fun and I highly reccomend it, I love going on track, and it gets addictive :D

Just remember it aint about power, its all about driver skills and car balance. And as your skills get better, you start chasing down better cars and it gets more and more exciting.

Steer^Gimic
30-03-2005, 02:51 PM
id say something, but ekslut has almost wrapped it in a nut shell
just bring with you on the day the basics. tools-ratchet, spanner set, jack would be handy, just in case any problems come your way.
but either then that. make sure you do a warm up and a cool down and have fun!
shat myself the first time i went out. no easy when the porsche cup cars on practicing on the same track. gets a bit intimidating! after that, try chasing them down. even though you have NO chance in hell, its way too much fun!!

baboo
30-03-2005, 04:29 PM
don't block the experienced people come up behind you on the track, aka. move out of the way.

don't over push yourself, gradually feed into it & pick up the pace.

remember to open up the bonnet when in the pits to release a bit of excess heat

never pull the hand brake up even when the car is stationary after the session or else you burn your rear break pads

Tony
30-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Make sure you empty your car before you hit the track, remove any loose objects like clip-on rear view mirrors, air freshener, CD cases.. etc

Don't hold your breath, sometimes you get too nervous on the track and you'll forget to breath. Make sure you don't hold your breath when you are on the track, remind yourself everytime when you hit the straights.

Kawasaki
30-03-2005, 07:51 PM
good info, i would never have thought not to use handbrake!

mikes94
30-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Sounds like fun! Is a CAMS licence necessary ... or this dependent on the type of track day? How hard is it to get a CAMS licence?

Mike

Steer^Gimic
31-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Sounds like fun! Is a CAMS licence necessary ... or this dependent on the type of track day? How hard is it to get a CAMS licence?

Mike

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17745 :)

wynode
31-03-2005, 12:36 AM
You'll need a Cams 2S (speed) licence :)

egSi
31-03-2005, 08:40 AM
ekslut = good salesman lol

i always wanted to do sprints, im definately goin to when i fix my eg.....

weezer
31-03-2005, 09:13 AM
For those in melb, there is a track day at Phillip Island on the 9th and 10th of April. On the Saturday they have what they call a Familiarisation and Practice day and there is an instructor to assist you if you need it and the sessions are not timed.

Steer^Gimic
31-03-2005, 10:47 AM
weezer i take the practice day wont need CAMS?

ekslut
31-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I try my best to inform :D

And yes, you would still need a CAMS licence even on practice day. I think its mainly to cover you if you have a accident or something. But these days are good, because they have experts that will go with you in your car and show you what lines to take.

weezer
01-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Yes you will still need a CAMS licence for the Saturday as it is a CAMS sanctioned event. The instructors are very good. On my first day there he said I've been playing way too much playstation haha

SPEEDCORE
01-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Yes you will still need a CAMS licence for the Saturday as it is a CAMS sanctioned event.

Correct "IF" it is a CAMS sanctioned event. QR Sprint events are under AAA (Australian Auto-Sport Alliance). http://www.aasa.com.au/

From my understanding, AAA is alot better suited to weekend warriors needs, due to the their goals of making motorsport more affordable and also accessible to your average person. This affordability, also extends to the people that run the events, ie. the raceway/circuit itself.

I personally have not had one complaint from how QR together with AAA have run Sprint series over the last couple years. :thumbsup:

edw-R
02-04-2005, 08:31 PM
In my experience, you need to make sure no problem with your brake, wheel balance, tyres, engine oil, brake oil, coolent.....etc.

J-MuN
06-04-2005, 03:47 AM
wow sounds pretty cool and exciting.. any coupes get out on the tracks much?... dunno how well my coupe would handle

on track.. got D2's though.. hehe... but i dunno if i'd push my car THAT hard on a track.. it'd be so stressing

on the car, gears, tyres, brakes etc.. i'm a bitch, i couldnt do that 2 my car although i'd love to see how my car could go...

i'd drive sumones car though... :p hey ekslut, didnt u have a EK4 with a LOUD AS exhaust u did with motorware or is that sum1 else?... :confused:

ekslut
06-04-2005, 09:28 AM
its not that stressful on your car. Just make sure you have some decent pads, and you already have coilovers, so just go out there at your own pace and have fun. If you want to push, then push, if not take it at your own pace.

And yes, I did have a very loud exhaust on my EK4 done by motorware. It was a straight pipe going under the rear axle with a tiny bend at the end to come back up to the bumper :D I now have that same sort of exhaust on my ED :D But I only built that exhaust on for track. Had my Mugen for street.

Steer^Gimic
06-04-2005, 10:02 AM
ekslut that sounds tough. what color is your car. i think i know which one it is.
however being such a loud friggn car, at winton they ask that your car be no more then 35db 50 metres away or sum shit.

ekslut
06-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Which car? You might know the EK4, it was a silver one, with c/f bonnet and black rims. I doubt you know my ED, coz it has not been on street yet.Yeah, I know about the DB limits. Phillip Island has it too. But I always carry a silencer just incase. If I ever get pulled up about it, ill do something about it I guess.

J-MuN
07-04-2005, 01:37 AM
hahaha.. yeh ur exhaust on ur EK was deafening.. i remember fong and danny telling me to listen to ur car

when u drove out of their driveway.. haha i think i could still hear u like 2 or 3 minutes after u left... hahaha

so wat happened to it?... the EK4?.. is that the one ur sis has now??

ekslut
07-04-2005, 08:41 AM
haha....yeah, that thing was loud. Yeah, the EK4 has been put back to stock, except for a few bit and pieces, and has gone to my sister now.....I miss that car.....:(

Steer^Gimic
07-04-2005, 10:28 AM
yeh i think i know the one. you gave it to your sister!?! you should come to winton in may with a few friends. just a practice session. you up for it?

ekslut
07-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Picked up the car the other day, so now I am ready to track :D So yes, I am defiently up for a track day at Winton. Its been ages since I have been on track. Let me know details, and ill gather up some people to join.

J-MuN
07-04-2005, 04:22 PM
haha....yeah, that thing was loud. Yeah, the EK4 has been put back to stock, except for a few bit and pieces, and has gone to my sister now.....I miss that car.....:(
haha yeh you and your sis came to sorrento right?.. haha, still got footage of her.. she gave me a run!!..

haha, but we had cars ahead of us.. damn stoOpid DC2R n DC5R's infront of us having a go at it too...

they were too slow, in the way of the battle of the civics.. LoL

tegstar83
08-04-2005, 02:13 AM
Apart from a CAMS licence do u also need to be apart of a club to race??
And what is a helmet gonna set u back??

CTR Coupe
08-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Apart from a CAMS licence do u also need to be apart of a club to race??

you need to be part of a club to get your CAMS licence.

tegstar83
09-04-2005, 03:06 AM
EKSLUT: I was wondering what club ur affiliated with cause u do alot of racing from what I can gather, and the reason I ask is because Im dying to get into circuit racing.
Cause Ive had my car for over a year now and havent even tracked it yet.

panda[cRx]
09-04-2005, 07:57 PM
ekslut that sounds tough. what color is your car. i think i know which one it is.
however being such a loud friggn car, at winton they ask that your car be no more then 35db 50 metres away or sum shit.

hmmmm do they measure it or anything? would they boot u off for being noisey?
its out in the bush ffs

wynode
09-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi tegtster,

Your best bet is to join up with the Honda Car Club of Victoria as there will be others with the same interest as you. I'm a memmber of the NSW HCC and they are a bunch of great guys (and girls!) :)

Here's the link http://www.hondaclubvic.org.au/

Steer^Gimic
10-04-2005, 11:56 AM
']hmmmm do they measure it or anything? would they boot u off for being noisey?
its out in the bush ffs

hey panda. i think if its just a practice day there not too strict. but if its unbelievably loud, then yeh, they'll test it.
and hey, wouldnt want to wake up the damm yocals!

tegstar83
10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi tegtster,

Your best bet is to join up with the Honda Car Club of Victoria as there will be others with the same interest as you. I'm a memmber of the NSW HCC and they are a bunch of great guys (and girls!) :)

Here's the link http://www.hondaclubvic.org.au/

Yeah I was thinking of joining up with Honda Sports Car Club, I just feel their more of a suited club for me, but ill join when I get my R.
Thanks also for the info wyn :)

ekslut
15-04-2005, 07:14 PM
tegstar83: Sorry about the late reply I have been away. But as Win was saying, I am a part of HCCV (Honda Car Club of Victoria)

tanghy
15-04-2005, 08:02 PM

simple open face ADR helmet is about 100-150$

pls note that yr car insurance agency will not insure yr prangs on the circuit

tegstar83
15-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Isnt it better to get a full face??
Also EKSLUT: I was thinking of gettin into one of the clubs in Vic but I sorta saw that HSCC in Vic was not too track orientated and was more into picnics and crap wine cruises and alot of old farts with really old hondas in the club. So in that regard I was more of looking to get into the HSCC *HOnda Sports CAr Club* b/c they seem to be more track going. Umm ur part of the club can u share some expiriences with us and what u might think of the other club.And also how much is a track day gonna set u back?

ekslut
15-04-2005, 10:57 PM
yeah, that is true to a certain extent. But HSCV will only except you if you have a ITR, NSX or S2000. Thats why I dont like it. But HCCV has actually very recently started a club group, within HCCV. I got one of their scheduals and there are many track/motorkana/training events happening, about 1-2 or more a month, and they accept all Honda's not just a few.
I have a full face helmet (a motorbike one), but its all personal choice.

A track day usually sets you back about $100 depending on where it is, who runs it and how many will be allowed on. But then you have other running expences, like fuel (you will probably need more than 1 tank in a civic), tyres, brakes, etc....

tegstar83
15-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Umm Interesting but u can actually join the HSCC via an associate membership u dont have to have those cars but without it u just cant be a full voting member. Im not really fussed cause ill be looking at getting a ITR as soon as I sell my car
Yeah I was thinking of getting a full face Motorbike one as well, How much are they roughly??

And yeah of course u would go throgh heaps of petrol and oil ect ect.
Do the have petrol at the track? If so is it racing fuel eg Elf?

tanghy
15-04-2005, 11:45 PM
getting a half face or full face is personal preference only that with full face helmets yr vision is limited, i use a full face myself, but half face helmets are cheaper

tegstar83
16-04-2005, 12:15 AM
yah Ive have assumed a open face cost less *less helmet of course* but wanted to know what they genarly cost to buy.

toE
16-04-2005, 08:15 PM
simple open face ADR helmet is about 100-150$

pls note that yr car insurance agency will not insure yr prangs on the circuit

Are there any insurance companies that insure your car while on the tracks or off-street events, while also insuring you when you are daily driving it?

Steer^Gimic
17-04-2005, 10:24 AM
toE, shannons might. dont quote me on it though

toE
17-04-2005, 01:19 PM
I know Shannons insure classics and what not, and I've heard that they insure cars while on the tracks, but I just wanted someone to confirm.

Meh, guess when the time comes, I can always ring them up and ask. :)

Vivski
18-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Helmets...

If you have a harness, you go with whatever helmet you feel comfortable in, open-face or full-face.
If you're running your daily driver, you'll probably want a full-face.

When buying a helmet, just get the absolute best one you can afford. Light, comfortable, FIA approved, etc. The lighter the helmet, the less inertia your head will have, so less whiplash, etc. And name brand. Tested and proven.

I want to get into rallying, so I'm looking at getting an open-faced helmet. Probably a Peltor. But just get a helmet which suits you.

mossy
24-05-2005, 06:02 PM
I had my first track experience at phillip island in Jan this year and its hooked me for sure. My lap times dropped throughout the day from a 2.10 to a 1.58, and hitting turn 1 at about 200 clicks on the limit is a major rush. (supercharged mx5)

vtml
25-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Very nice lap times mossy

ekslut
25-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Impressive lap times Mossey. Im hopeing for about 1:58 too when I finally get my ED civic up and running. 200km into the first corner though is very fast, I used to do about 170-180km in my EK4 civic with p/b of 2:03 lap time.