PDA

View Full Version : S2000 Newbie

CIVIC-R
30-03-2005, 01:41 PM
hey all,

im now a new proud owner of a 99 S2000... there are a few queries that i would like to get some feedback on...

- Firstly im about to get a service, what motor oil do u guys recommend???

- What coil overs do you recommend??? (cheap but good)

- What alarm system do you recommend??? (price is no issue with this)

- And lastly i have noticed that the gearbox and gear stick tends to shudder occasionally at low rpm... and when i turn the car off???

any advice will be much appreciated.

spiller
30-03-2005, 02:28 PM
my old man has a 99 so i aint talkin out my arse here. He uses mobil one in all of his cars including the S2000 and has had no problems to date. The shudder at low rpm is not really fixable, thats just the way the car is. You will notice that the engine buzzes below about 4rpm and thats what causes this shudder. This is comon with all of the 99 spec S2000's, so no worries, your car is normal mate.

^^v
01-04-2005, 11:59 PM
use the oil honda recommends... cant go wrong...

i've been for a ride in an s2k... n imo the stock sussy is prettty decent... so unless ur gonna do major track work i dun see the need for em...

|N|
02-04-2005, 12:08 AM
can u take me for a spin pls?

toE
02-04-2005, 05:13 AM
Just use the Honda oils. You won't go wrong with that.

Coil-overs, what's your intention? Are you gona track her? Or you want her slammed just for looks? Just get Koni Yellow! Damper and height adjustable.

Alarms, just make sure you get one with an immobilizer. Any brand or model will do i reckon. But i've only heard good things about Viper.

As for the shudder, I think it's common in all 99 models up to 00 models too. Honda improved/fixed it in the 01 models.

Alternatively, hop onto www.s2ki.com to read more.

:)

industrie
02-04-2005, 11:58 AM
coilovers are useless unless you are tracking the car...honda oils, mobil oils would be fine...but great car

speedracr
05-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Bilstein PSS or Tein CS are good coilovers for street use. Tein RS, N1 and TODA Fightex are the ultimate for circuit.

91'lude
05-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Isnt the ticking fixable? I heard from a OCAU member, all s2k's buzz in the low RPM while decelerating in the 99/2000 spec. Apparently if you ring honda, they do have something to fix it.

CIVIC-R
05-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Just use the Honda oils. You won't go wrong with that.

Coil-overs, what's your intention? Are you gona track her? Or you want her slammed just for looks? Just get Koni Yellow! Damper and height adjustable.

Alarms, just make sure you get one with an immobilizer. Any brand or model will do i reckon. But i've only heard good things about Viper.

As for the shudder, I think it's common in all 99 models up to 00 models too. Honda improved/fixed it in the 01 models.

Alternatively, hop onto www.s2ki.com (http://www.s2ki.com/) to read more.

:)

hey thanks for all the comments guys.

yeah i just went for the honda oil... i also got the paint protection and leather protection applied to my car... made a huge difference...

i ended up getting the new python 881xp...

yeah im more interested in just being able to adjust the height of the car (no interest at track at all)... so where about is the best place to get the yellow koni adjustable???

THis car drives so well in every aspect, i love it...

Thanks

toE
06-04-2005, 02:20 AM
hey thanks for all the comments guys.

yeah i just went for the honda oil... i also got the paint protection and leather protection applied to my car... made a huge difference...

i ended up getting the new python 881xp...

yeah im more interested in just being able to adjust the height of the car (no interest at track at all)... so where about is the best place to get the yellow koni adjustable???

THis car drives so well in every aspect, i love it...

Thanks

Try PM-ing armak81 - DNA Autoworks - one of our traders. He might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

Good luck. :)

PLES2K
13-04-2005, 02:33 AM
My next service, im going to bring my own Mobil one oil for them to use.
I also got my car interior protected and it makes the car sweet as new.

itr025
13-04-2005, 12:40 PM
This is just my experience, but I didn't like the 'feel' of Mobil 1 5w-50 when I put it in my engine. It made the engine noticeably noisier and felt more harsh compared to the other oils I've tried (Shell Helix Ultra, Agip and FEO). Currently using Motul 300V 10W-40 and can't say enough about how strong and smooth it's made my B18C feel. Highly Recommended even though it's $40/2l.

But whatever oil you choose, it's widely accepted that you can't go wrong as long as you change it regularly :thumbsup:

kez13
16-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Congrats

JDM.Power
16-05-2005, 03:53 PM
hey an welcome..an yeah just use honda oil

IndoStyler
17-05-2005, 02:38 PM
man....i'm real jealous of u S2K owners.....i want 1 4 myself...but i cant afford it yet.....just need some more time....i got a prelude though....better then having no honda at all:D

ROLLED
05-10-2005, 11:07 PM
coilovers are useless unless you are tracking the car...honda oils, mobil oils would be fine...but great car

sorry, i have to disagree with this guy again, mate if you want to drop your car properly you need coilovers, people who only replace the springs on the stock dampers are only damaging their dampers...i've head that its ok for 2-3 years or so but then you start to see excesive wear or damage on the dampers? thats what i've heard anyways....

can't go wrong with motul oils mate!

ilovethisVaFC
05-10-2005, 11:15 PM
i would recommend the honda oils, again i agree, you cant go wrong, as for the shudder noises on low rpms, 99 model s2ks are known for this..this is caused by the clutch... enjoy the car and when the clutch starts slipping purchase an 04+model OEM clutch. The later clutches have no clutch noise, ive just had mine replaced and theres no more of that noise, just be prepared for a shock at the cost of a new clutch though!~! join s2ki.com

S2Kluv
07-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Motul all the way baby! I've used it in my other cars MIVEC FTO, Turbo MR2 and its always been smooth sailing :)

SSs
07-10-2005, 11:38 PM
how much is replaced new 04+ clutch..

s2king
07-10-2005, 11:45 PM
hey all,

im now a new proud owner of a 99 S2000... there are a few queries that i would like to get some feedback on...

- Firstly im about to get a service, what motor oil do u guys recommend???

- What coil overs do you recommend??? (cheap but good)

- What alarm system do you recommend??? (price is no issue with this)

- And lastly i have noticed that the gearbox and gear stick tends to shudder occasionally at low rpm... and when i turn the car off???

any advice will be much appreciated.

-Just dont use fully synthetic oils. Use either Honda, Penrite or if you feel generous for your baby, give it some Motul:)

-If you want cheap but great coilovers, 1 word "D2" dont think its a word but its a brand:) They are great coilovers for what they are worth, even though people bag them out.

-The shudder is normal.

IRI
10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
-Just dont use fully synthetic oils.
:confused: