PDA

View Full Version : VIC Rollcage for street car

Snoop_gee
18-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Hi guys,

Just looking at potential opportunity to have a welded in rollcage and yet still have the vehicle street registered.

In the vicroads website the following information appears to be superseded.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/0AFA9B78-2A61-4E9C-8834-7986BD42C92A/0/VSI28January2000Superseded.pdf

does anyone have some current experience/conditions in 2013.
\is it only half cage or can it be full cage?

I looked on google nothing recent came up.

regards
Snoop G.

Cartoon
18-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Half cage only for street. Bolt in has some advantages over weld in depending on the use of the car

u mad?
18-08-2013, 12:23 PM
So all the cars ive seen driving on the street with a full cage are illegal?

Cartoon
18-08-2013, 06:45 PM
So all the cars ive seen driving on the street with a full cage are illegal?

Or engineered prior to the law changing

Killa From Manila
24-08-2013, 12:00 PM
get a 4 point cage, with bolt in a pillar bars for the track. or just get the 4 point engineered and then rock the a pillar bars anyway

tiksie
24-08-2013, 05:17 PM
What's the point of having a cage on the street ?

Save your money and buy good tyres with it instead..

I've seen so many cars with cages that have never seen the track, I never understand it.

u mad?
24-08-2013, 05:22 PM
the only benefit i see is uve got slightly more protection for when u roll off ur locally mountain lol, not to mention the rigidity benefits

BG-33P
25-08-2013, 10:37 AM
What's the point of having a cage on the street ?

Save your money and buy good tyres with it instead..

I've seen so many cars with cages that have never seen the track, I never understand it.

Ditto

Cartoon
25-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Lucky I track my car :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/quvavuja.jpg

That's a legal half cage for nsw

Oxer
03-09-2013, 08:43 PM
the only benefit i see is uve got slightly more protection for when u roll off ur locally mountain lol, not to mention the rigidity benefits

To be totally honest, unless its a 16 point welded cage with gussets welded to the pillars, the rigidity benefits arent that great.

mugen_ctr
03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Ive heard that most cars that run a bolt in or Japanese made cage aint allowed to compete in most CAMS or ANDRA affiliated races due to there lack of structural design and more importantly being not welded in, any truth to this? Was considering a bolt in cage in the future for track work so i can run a harness for my bucket seat

dnapol
03-09-2013, 09:15 PM
CAMS race and CAMS event are different. Cams clib level sprints are fine with a bolt in (any cage is recommended) howevet if you are wheel to wheel racing in a competition class then you'd need cams spec. For these you need a competitive racing license and to be honest, a weld in cams cage is a cheap thing for a cams racer when you consider other running costs

anjin
03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Go to the CAMS technical specification - that will tell you exactly what is legal in Cams controlled racing. Bolt in is ok - but there are rules on size and thickness of plates on the cage and the body, bolts etc. The requirements are very clear, with diagrams etc of many configurations.
What is required in Cams won't be legal on the road - the bars in the front of the car are considered dangerous to head and limbs. Quite right too - remember you have to wear a helmet on the track for protection from the cage, among the other dangers.

Cartoon
04-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Any thing more than a half cage on the street is illegal and won't be engineered. Any half cage with in 250mm of a person will need to be padded with padded as per adr regulations.
All mounting specifications are out lined in the adr also.

If a 4 seater rear seats must be removed and all mounting points pluged.

thebob
07-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Ive heard that most cars that run a bolt in or Japanese made cage aint allowed to compete in most CAMS or ANDRA affiliated races due to there lack of structural design and more importantly being not welded in, any truth to this? Was considering a bolt in cage in the future for track work so i can run a harness for my bucket seat

One thing to note with the idea of using a harness for extra safety. You are exposing yourself to a whole new hazard. The OEM seat belt and airbag works great. When switching to the use of a harness it is strongly recommended that you use a HANS device. This is because there is no give in the harness like there is with a seat belt/ airbag setup. That in turn means with the weight of your head and helmet move forward while your body stays still. Your neck is now the weak point. Earlier this year there was a death as a result. This is a extra cost that most people dont take into account.

dnapol is correct. Unless your going door to door, which 95% of us don't. Bolt in cages are fine. BUT, the rules have changed in a few states as to cage design and dimensions. Sadly for some versions of the japanese cages (safety 21/cusco/carbing), It means you cannot legally run them on a road car.