PDA

View Full Version : warning lights

philipminge
21-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Hey guys. Warning light VSA appeared in the dash tonight. Not long ago was engine light.

Any idea what it could be. Came on 3 times tonight.

Any suggestions other than ants eating car parts.

Cheers

curtis265
21-08-2013, 07:59 PM
is this the brand new accord?

Why not call the dealer?

philipminge
21-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Oh sorry guys. 2006 euro luxury manual.

Sorry...

fillit
22-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Hey guys. Warning light VSA appeared in the dash tonight. Not long ago was engine light.

Any idea what it could be. Came on 3 times tonight.

Any suggestions other than ants eating car parts.

Cheers

Engine light is most likely something to do with emissions, but as said can be a million things, do you have access to an ODB2 reader?

It's not worth it taking it to a shop as they will probably charge you for even looking at it, the reader itself is like $40.

I've only had the VSA come on when I've been trying to slide the car (yes I know, I feel shame) was the road wet? Are you tires balding? Other than that it may be the sensor being fault. Did the light come on and stay on or was only temporary?

Rage King
22-08-2013, 01:30 PM
An extract from the Service Manual:

If the VSA system indicator comes
on while driving, pull to the side of
the road when it is safe, and turn off
the engine. Reset the system by
restarting the engine. If the VSA
system indicator stays on, or comes
back on while driving, have the VSA
system inspected by an Acura/Honda dealer

Other than that - have you recently changed wheels/tyres? if so, are they in the same rolling diameter to OEM if you have upgraded to bigger wheels?

Are you loosing any power at all ? - just before the VSA light comes on or after?

before you go to a dealer/service centre - (SOFT Reset) remove the battery terminals, let it sit for a minute or so whilst stepping down (HOLD) your brake pedal, then re-connect the battery terminals again and see how u go.

blommer
22-08-2013, 04:52 PM
when the VSA comes on while driving, does it feel as though you hit a brick wall and the car becomes sluggish?

If so, you have to replace the accelerator position sensor found under the bonnet, passenger side near the top strut mount.

Have done mine and it drives sweet.

fillit
22-08-2013, 05:15 PM
when the VSA comes on while driving, does it feel as though you hit a brick wall and the car becomes sluggish?

If so, you have to replace the accelerator position sensor found under the bonnet, passenger side near the top strut mount.

Have done mine and it drives sweet.

VSA cuts power to the car, if you ever try to slide it you will find once the VSA light comes on, power decreases significantly.

aaronng
22-08-2013, 05:40 PM
If the VSA light comes on but you are not experiencing power loss, then the wheel speed sensors could be having problems too.

philipminge
22-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Car is now underivable. Doing a write up now... Will post in half hour.

Lol worst day ever

philipminge
22-08-2013, 10:10 PM
So tonight I traced back my steps of when this error first occurred or what could have caused it.

The first major thing that was touched was the ECU – had a unit chip put in the removed and put all back to stock…. Drove the car out of the workshop and all was fine.
Day later got an error code VTC mechanism malfunction. I plugged a scan tool in and reset the code and haven’t seen the code since.
Yesterday lunchtime I was mucking around with the Honda badge on my steering wheel. I kept on pushing my horn…. So I went to the fuse box under the hood and removed the horn fuse. This fuse also controls the rear brake lights.
After work I was in a hurry to go somewhere so I took off completely forgetting I had no rear brake lights. And about 15min of driving the VSA triangle with the ! in the middle comes on with the VSA symbol on the dash too. This did not go away.

I read the owner’s manual right away and said to pull over, turn the car off, and turn it back on to see if it would clear the fault… I did this 3 times….
The error would go away and then after 30seconds of driving it would pop up again.
So todayi plugged a computer in again and scanned the entire car.

6 faults appeared at first.
5 of the faults appeared in ABS TCS VSA scan…

(see photo with 5 faults)

The 6th fault was in Body Electrical.
(see rain sensor fault)

The first errors being wheel speed sensor errors I pulled all the wheel speed sensors off, cleaned them and put them back. I put the horn fuse back in, disconnected the battery terminals and left them off and checked front wheel sensors.
I put the battery terminals back on and started the car. I then drove 30sec and VSA came on again.

I plugged a computer in and did a full scan again.

Following errors occurred.
(see brake switch Failure and sensor logic failure)

I then went and pulled the brake sensor out behind the brake pedal and checked it for continuity.
The switch was fine and reinstalled it, plugged it back in and scratched my head a little more.
I do not know what sensor logic failure is, yet.

I also had

I disconnected the battery again after playing with the brake sensor and plugged it back in.
I thought ill try take it for a spin and see if the vtc light came back. I went to take off and the car struggles to move. I noticed the brakes were on. I touched the brake pedal and it was solid. I took off and went around the block slowly… the VTC light came on almost right away and I noticed the brakes were biting harder and harder. I crept back into the driveway and just made it into the factory (enough to close the roller door).

It didn’t make any sense but all of my wheels locked up. They were solid.
I turned everything off and unplugged the ABS module, plugged it back in and stared the car. No difference. The pedal was solid. Car was not going anywhere.
Made a few calls and I need to check ABS sensor and I guess the entire abs vsa module.
have someone coming to look at it tomorrow. Don’t know where to go from here.
Have downloaded the ABS VSA system workshop manual and will start to go through that tomorrow.
car cannot be driven or moved at all anymore.

philipminge
22-08-2013, 10:21 PM
when VSA light is on the car does not run like crap. it runs like normal. no struggle or loss of power... does not feel like i hit a wall. feels fine.

Fredoops
22-08-2013, 10:23 PM
check the fuses again

check connection of the ECU

philipminge
22-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Will do first thing in the morning! thanks

anyone else have anything?

philipminge
23-08-2013, 08:51 AM
so checked all fuses and all wire connections to the ECU..... everything was fine....

Moving off topic as my brakes are now locked on - could my brake booster have failed?? or Master Cylinder....?
anyone?

Rage King
23-08-2013, 10:00 AM
so checked all fuses and all wire connections to the ECU..... everything was fine....

Moving off topic as my brakes are now locked on - could my brake booster have failed?? or Master Cylinder....?
anyone?

i personally dont think your BMC and BB is ****ed. since you have played with so many sensors the ABS module and ECU prob needs a reset. Most of these codes your getting ABS/TCS/VSA! are all related to each other.

isolation test the below;

have you checked the brake pedal switch?
are all your brake lights working?
are all your fuses relating to the above are intact?

philipminge
23-08-2013, 10:20 AM
i pulled my brake pedal switch out.... checked with with a multi meter and when you push the button it works perfect. switch is ok.
i put it back in a plugged it back in....
brake lights all work
yes i checked all my fuses one by one in both fuse boxes... all seems ok

:(

when you say reset the ecu - what do you mean... like unplug it and plug it back in?

or unplug battery?? i did that - did nothing.

philipminge
23-08-2013, 10:43 AM
also ecm/pcm relation failure - maybe has something to do with the ecu.... i dont know. all too hard basket... lol
i have a s2000 thats not finished and not running and my daily has shit itself... awesome! lol

Rage King
23-08-2013, 10:55 AM
you mentioned earlier that you installed a performance chip or something then removed it when the issues started to arise?

maybe during the re-install process of the chip could have fried your ECU? were you wearing or using electric shock proof tools?

i would suggest to try another working ECU from another same accord and go from there.

philipminge
23-08-2013, 11:21 AM
ahhh have no idea what tools they used.

but when it was all put back to stock - the car ran fine... was about 6 weeks ago i had it pulled out... and only 2 days ago (after removing the horn/tail light fuse) i copped a vsa error.

i understand what your saying... and maybe ill try get my hands on a 06 euro LUX ecu... dont know where i will get one but i can try...

just dont see why if they stuffed up the ecu - why it didnt bring up this fault right away.

also keep in mind that the car starts, runs like a dream lol. just have brakes on now and VSA errors. lol

thanks for the input man. appreciate it. ill look into that also.

Rage King
23-08-2013, 11:34 AM
ok .. im already starting to feels that its your wheel/ABS sensors. see how you go mate ..

hope you get it sorted

philipminge
23-08-2013, 11:48 AM
ill check all the wheel and abs sensors again. cheers man. appreciate it.

wheel and abs... just doesnt make sense. as soon as i start the car - the brakes are locked. havent even started rolling. and the VSA ! light is on. its like the ABS pump is running flat out and keeping the brakes on.

its a strange issue.

i was slowly modding this euro and was aiming towards vtc gear, rbc intake manifold etc and 07-08 tsx ecu with hondata... but as soon as i had these ideas... the car started playing up. bit by bit... lol now its a mess. lol

who wants a cl9? mint condition, even brakes for you..... at all times.... new technology... ideal if you dont have to be anywhere in a hurry.

ah well. anyone seen this problem, please speak up!

cheers guys!

Rage King
23-08-2013, 12:10 PM
lol ..

if the ABS is not dis-engaging then there is no "pulse" coming from the ABS Unit.

this could be a faulty ABS Module, Unit or sensors. i know its a silly question but do you still have brake fluids? (sorry had to ask)

is your car auto or manual?

Rage King
23-08-2013, 12:23 PM
here is a good source for all ECU Code related identifiers.

i would personally look at from codes 94-97 & 98+ (bottom of the list) "fail safe relays", "Wheel locks" "motor stuck" etc.

if you are not getting any of those related codes ...then may god help us all .... :)

srs take it to honda and get them to fix it asap if this car is your daily ...

EDIT: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=978933

philipminge
23-08-2013, 12:41 PM
yes there is fluid. lol

took front brake sensor out and was dirty. cleaning it put it back and no different

maybe yeh the abs module is effed.

what are the codes... is there meant to be a link there?

philipminge
23-08-2013, 12:42 PM
car is 6sp man 2006 CL9

Rage King
23-08-2013, 12:51 PM
what are the codes... is there meant to be a link there?

EDIT added linkage.. my bad..

Jasemas
23-08-2013, 04:58 PM
So.. because you wanted to muck with your car and didn't know what you were doing/didn't have enough time to put everything back together
This has happened?

Phorist
23-08-2013, 11:15 PM
my 2c

disconnect battery

re connect,

idle for 15 mins

drive for 30 mins

see what happens.

like all electrical devices try power a cycle to see if this makes it better

philipminge
24-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Lol wow thanks for that comment.
So last night I borrowed a mates snap on scan tool. Plugged her in and got some errors. I cleared them- did and abs test for each wheel... Abs system was perfect.
I had another brake switch error. I pulled the brake switch out again and was really hard to remove. Was like I kicked it when driving or something.
Anyway I cleaned both plugs with contact cleaner. Reinstalled it all.
Did another abs check.
Checked and cleaned all wheel sensors....again.
Did a steering wheel sensor check with the scan tool. Did a wheel sponsor check.
Reset all codes again.... Let car idol for 5 min...
Did a scan while I took it for a drive... All systems were working. Drove for 10min... No errors. Will drive it again today and see what happens.
Thanks to those who helped out. Top blokes..

Rage King
25-08-2013, 12:42 PM
told you brake pedal switch mate!

philipminge
25-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Lol yeh man + 1 to you. haha. but cars running normal again. lol all good.