PDA

View Full Version : Ek b18c7 swap spark and idle issues - hot start related.

Dyln.bxtr
21-08-2013, 09:34 PM
just finished a b18c7 aus spec swap into my ek. started up first time.
But.. there was an idling issue. every time and indicator was put on or brake lights the revs would drop as though a voltage drop then return to normal.
i also have no reverse lights and doesnt look like my fan is working either. cool...
i used the loom out of an ek4 and the itr ecu.
but the issue im having now is random loss of spark.
i have replaced the icm, coil, rotor, cap and battery. im getting a new diz cap tomorrow.
i got it to start last night but after driving about 5 or 10 minutes, and the thing over heating, i pulled over to let it cool down (radiator hose was loose and the overflow bottle was low). when i tried starting it would turn over but no spark.
i sat there about 10 minutes with a phone about to die, tried once more and it started. once i got home though nothing.
the only cel it shows is iat sensor and is showing a battery light now even though voltage is at 12.9. When turning over though it drops to 11.1.( is this normal?)
when running the alternator does seem to be putting volts in, multimeter shows 14.6.
this was my daily and am now left without it :/

I have checked all fuses, none are blowing. I have checked all grounds and even upgraded to 1 gauge wire to try. still no luck.

Just as i finished writing this post my old man came out and gave me a hand.
tried starting it with the multimeter across the battery and started straight up.
still having idle issues...

I turned it off then tried starting again to no go. Spark gone again.
All fuses are fine.

I'm going to strip out the entire loom tomorrow and check for any breaks in the sheath that could be causing a shorting issue.

UPDATE : I've sorted out most of the issues. Idle is gone. Over heat gone.
But now I've diagnosed the start issues to hot start.
It will start and run perfect in the cold - early morning late nights. As soon as I turn it off it won't start till its cooled down.
Same issue during the day (qld weather- hot!)
Battery might is still on when turning over the key disappears once started.
No cel's
Any ideas of what it could be??
I'm getting really urgent now :/

MrJoeySan
21-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Have you actually checked the plugs themselves to see if they spark properly? Maybe gap lengths?

Dyln.bxtr
21-08-2013, 10:16 PM
I've been using the screw driver test and a test spark plug.
There's nothing at all.
But I'm also getting the fault light for charging system issues

dc2r-0636
21-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Alternator Is fukd. Once u get the car started
Test the alternator by putting load on it and see how much battery's voltage drops with the lights on. A/C
Rear demister ect.

Dyln.bxtr
21-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah once I get the loom all stripped out I'm getting the alt tested.
Just doesn't make sense of why the spark is coming and going

Dyln.bxtr
21-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Would a bad alt take away the spark but let it turn over. This is the main issue

Oh and emgine temp sensor is the plug on the thermostat housing correct?

Dyln.bxtr
22-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Alternator is fine. Da fcuk...
Back to the loom then. Yay!!!

dc2r-0636
22-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Before you go thru the loom. I'd change the battery terminals and make sure u get a new negative battery Cable with new terminal.
Clean all earth contacts and see you u go.

Dyln.bxtr
23-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Both battery terminals are brand you. The negative cable is also new and there isn't a spot of paint anywhere left under them :/
Gonna try with the alternator all clean. Clean up the iac valve. And if still nothing. I'm gonna try starting and take it straight to an auto sparky.
I want my car back :(

Dyln.bxtr
23-08-2013, 04:47 PM
My battery voltage is dropping from about 12.4 to 10.8.
Gonna charge the shit out of it, hope it starts and leave at the auto electricians tomorrow. I give up

Dyln.bxtr
23-08-2013, 09:53 PM
It started!!!! yay!!!
but had spitting and spluttering. serious idling issues.
think my iacv hose is leaking :/
got about 200m from home and clunked out. Wouldnt start again. back on charge. gonna fix some of the loom and try again :/

Dyln.bxtr
23-08-2013, 10:14 PM
anyone. Ideas??

Dyln.bxtr
25-08-2013, 02:02 AM
No one. No one at all??

Dyinghearts
25-08-2013, 06:09 AM
if it doesnt workout. sell your engine...

Dyln.bxtr
25-08-2013, 10:56 AM
yeah... no

tripleuse
25-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Alternator Is fukd. Once u get the car started
Test the alternator by putting load on it and see how much battery's voltage drops with the lights on. A/C
Rear demister ect.

Before you go thru the loom. I'd change the battery terminals and make sure u get a new negative battery Cable with new terminal.
Clean all earth contacts and see you u go.

i usually give him shit, but he could be right. Dropping in voltage and then gaining the voltage back generally means it is making bad connection thus dropping out/in.

It is a swap so usually people can **** there connections up wrong when putting it all together, I know i had a problem similar to this. Everything was making continuity but it wasn't till i look at some of my connections i realised one was just making enough connection to make the continuity but not to charge. Go through all the connections relating to your alternator and disconnect them and have a good look at them. It wouldnt be the alternator obviously because it still is charging at times.

edit: for me one of the cables from the charge harness to the engine bay fuse box wasn't making a good enough connection.

Dyln.bxtr
25-08-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm about to go through and check all the loom is spot on and carrying current correctly.
this is killing me :/

Dyln.bxtr
26-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I've been through the loom about 5 times today. i cant see any errors in the loom and i cant find any snags in it that could be shorting out.
all connections look fine too. Guh!!!!
Unless someone has an idea I'm giving up on it. This is getting ridiculously frustrating.

tripleuse
26-08-2013, 05:42 PM
I've been through the loom about 5 times today. i cant see any errors in the loom and i cant find any snags in it that could be shorting out.
all connections look fine too. Guh!!!!
Unless someone has an idea I'm giving up on it. This is getting ridiculously frustrating.

Your loom will be fine, it is charging and dropping out,Its not shorting out or else it wouldnt work. it is the connections from your loom that will be the problem, They have a poor connection. Check your crimps and connections.

Dyln.bxtr
27-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Started up this morning and ran fine. Seems to work perfectly in the cool weather and shit or no start in the hot. The hell??
Drove it to auto electricians and almost felt like a retard handing it over to them while running so well

Dyln.bxtr
27-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Just got a call from the auto electricians. apparently he has spark but the injectors are no longer pumping. the hell??

Dyln.bxtr
27-08-2013, 09:11 PM
I feel so lost with out my car here. It's so weird being in the dark as to what progress is being made on it. Whether there is anything good with it. How long is it gonna take. Do try have any idea what it is.
Tell me this things. I'm going crazy!!!

tripleuse
27-08-2013, 11:03 PM
I feel so lost with out my car here. It's so weird being in the dark as to what progress is being made on it. Whether there is anything good with it. How long is it gonna take. Do try have any idea what it is.
Tell me this things. I'm going crazy!!!

problem finding takes a while, be patient we have all been through it.

Dyln.bxtr
28-08-2013, 09:09 AM
they don't want it. he said he could fix it but because it is a honda and a swap it could end up being a couple thousand. Super!!
but have diagnosed an issue with temperature. It starts fine in the cooler temperatures but has issues in the heat.
Is this related to a fast idle??

Dyln.bxtr
28-08-2013, 12:36 PM
So. Any recommendations on an aftermarket harness?
Ek4 b series obd2a

Dyln.bxtr
28-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Anybody with info on looms??

Dyinghearts
29-08-2013, 02:19 PM
dude. you have so many looms from others. we dont even know what you want anymore.

Dyln.bxtr
29-08-2013, 02:36 PM
i need aftermarket. as my post stated.
i am also selling all looms i have

Dyinghearts
29-08-2013, 06:23 PM
if you want aftermarket looms. ur gonna have to pay up.

Dyln.bxtr
29-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah. 4-600. I know.

Dyinghearts
30-08-2013, 08:31 AM
honestly those looms looks goood as. so simple and tidy, id get one if i wanted.

Dyln.bxtr
30-08-2013, 03:19 PM
There are very sexy.
But I'm using a second loom now. Still same issue. ****!!
Hot start issues still. Early mornings and late nights it runs perfect. Middle of day won't start at all.
I'm unsure whether its still spark related or now fuel. But I've tried 3 different main relays and all act the same.

tripleuse
30-08-2013, 05:06 PM
There are very sexy.
But I'm using a second loom now. Still same issue. ****!!
Hot start issues still. Early mornings and late nights it runs perfect. Middle of day won't start at all.
I'm unsure whether its still spark related or now fuel. But I've tried 3 different main relays and all act the same.

if you've changed the loom/main relays and exact same problems have happened, could it be something else?

Dyln.bxtr
31-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm assuming so.
Been told it could be temp sensor related :/

Dyln.bxtr
31-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Any ideas? Anyone at all?

Dyln.bxtr
14-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Replace iat sensor due to it ring burnt out. Still no success.
Issue is still unresolved. I have gone through and resistance checked sensors

Alternator tested fine
New main relay
New coil
New ignitor
New dis cap
New iat sensor

12.45 24c

6- ect no resistance
Ect on thermostat - no resistance
Map sensor - 1+2 - 3.5
1+3 - 3.7
2+3 - 2.7
Iat (intake arm) 10 - 2.0
Tps - 1+2 - 0.9
1+3 - 5
2+3 - 4.9
Iacv - 0.02
Inj1 - 0.02
Inj2 - 0.03
Inj3 - 0.02
Inj4 - 0.03

Dyln.bxtr
18-02-2014, 01:33 PM
The problem was immobiliser.
Someone had ripped the PCB chip off the ecu board rather than bypassing correctly.
Has now been fixed and is waiting on a knock sensor before tracking it.

Monetz
19-02-2014, 09:33 PM
the problem was immobiliser.
Someone had ripped the pcb chip off the ecu board rather than bypassing correctly.
Has now been fixed and is waiting on a knock sensor before tracking it.

pm ecu-man

Dyln.bxtr
19-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Already done. The car is back and running again.
Thanks anyways :)