PDA

View Full Version : Do they come colour coded?

stevo1210
23-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Looking to make a purchase of a wing type spoiler for my 2010 Civic VTi from the Honda dealer. This is the genuine one in a kit that includes new trunk springs and an LED light as well for the brake.

Went to 4 dealers to get quotes so far. Prices range anywhere from $550 to $850. Two dealers have stated the part comes in primer and needs to be painted (inc. in price) but the other two dealer say it is colour coded as stock.

Not sure what the correct iteration is, but can someone give me some light on this matter?

I know the side skrit and front/rear lip are painted from the factory because I have bought them from Honda before and the cardboard box clearly states the paint colour from factory.

lolmclol
23-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Normally all the factory addons come painted, its when you're ordering things like new bumpers and stuff that you'll need to get them painted as they normally stock them for repair work.

muzukashi
23-08-2013, 10:23 AM
^ this, addons such as spoilers should come painted - shopped around heaps of times for oem spoilers,lips etc and 98% of the times it was always painted & ready to be fitted.

MrJoeySan
23-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Specify that you want it painted!

Having worked in a dealership before (parts/service/new sales) you need to specify.

Dealers will have access to both. Some order them unpainted as a car that is a few years old may have some fading or change ever so slightly to it's paint and a body shop will colour match it rather than going off paint codes from the manufacturer. If the paint on the car is in good nick and it's been looked after then a painted piece from the factory won't stand out like dogs balls when bolted on.

More than likely if you don't specify you want it in a certain factory colour you will get one in primer or prepped and ready to be painted. Also shop around as different dealers will charge different prices (as much as they think they can get away with). Make sure your quotes are all "painted" or "unpainted" to make a fair comparison.

stevo1210
24-08-2013, 02:35 AM
Specify that you want it painted!

Having worked in a dealership before (parts/service/new sales) you need to specify.

Dealers will have access to both. Some order them unpainted as a car that is a few years old may have some fading or change ever so slightly to it's paint and a body shop will colour match it rather than going off paint codes from the manufacturer. If the paint on the car is in good nick and it's been looked after then a painted piece from the factory won't stand out like dogs balls when bolted on.

More than likely if you don't specify you want it in a certain factory colour you will get one in primer or prepped and ready to be painted. Also shop around as different dealers will charge different prices (as much as they think they can get away with). Make sure your quotes are all "painted" or "unpainted" to make a fair comparison.

I actually did specify I wanted it painted when I asked for quotes, hence why I had to give them the VIN and the paint code as well. The two dealers who said it comes in primer said painting is another $300 or so... and of course an installation on top of that extra $300 for paint.
So this is what I found... The ones who said it comes painted were considerably cheaper than the ones that said it needs painting. IIRC I was quoted $568 for a painted spoiler and $627 for a "primer only" spoiler.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. :)