PDA

View Full Version : civic turbo diesel 1st gear shudder

Brian Rhodes
25-08-2013, 03:30 PM
I have a brand new honda civic turbo diesel (2013)(manual).
There is a slight shudder on starting 1st gear or reverse, especially under load (multiple passengers or hill starting). I am told by the Honda dealer mechanic that this appears "normal" for this vehicle. I find this hard to believe for such a technically advanced vehicle. I am obviously concerned that there is a sinister underlying problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

EKVTIR-T
25-08-2013, 03:34 PM
How many kms so far?

All I can guess is perhaps something relating to the clutch wear-in ?

only a stab in the dark

bennjamin
25-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Sounds like flywheel to clutch plate shuddering
As mentioned above its clutch bed in period - your motor produces a decent whack of torque so perhaps try to be a little softer on acceleration and your clutch usage. You might of overheated the clutch recently and the surface is a little burred on the flywheel surface , giving this issue.

Brian Rhodes
25-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Sounds like flywheel to clutch plate shuddering
As mentioned above its clutch bed in period - your motor produces a decent whack of torque so perhaps try to be a little softer on acceleration and your clutch usage. You might of overheated the clutch recently and the surface is a little burred on the flywheel surface , giving this issue.
Thanks for getting back so soon.
My car is 1 month old and has only been used for "sedate" city driving, thus far. 400km, I think.
I did try the demo at the dealer and it did much the same.
Hopefully it is just the clutch "wearing in". The shudder doesnt appear to be dangerous, only annoying. Otherwise, I am very happy with the car. At this stage, I suppose that I will have to wait and see.

Stevil
26-08-2013, 08:34 AM
I wonder if Honda have skimped on the flywheel and supplied it with a standard flywheel ?.

Most modern diesels use a dual mass Flywheel, which absorbs the shudder developed by the torquer motor. Maybe ask the boyz in the service area about whether your car ' HAS ' a dual mass flywheel or stocker ?

bennjamin
26-08-2013, 08:58 AM
I wonder if Honda have skimped on the flywheel and supplied it with a standard flywheel ?.

Most modern diesels use a dual mass Flywheel, which absorbs the shudder developed by the torquer motor. Maybe ask the boyz in the service area about whether your car ' HAS ' a dual mass flywheel or stocker ?

Most European cars have this DMF - regardless of engine type.
Another note is this has been a noted issue on earlier model diesel civics, I'd do abit more research on google and see if there are any recalls or known issues world wide

Stevil
26-08-2013, 09:03 AM
bennjammin who's motor is in the Civic ?

bennjamin
26-08-2013, 09:14 AM
bennjammin who's motor is in the Civic ?

Not sure what you refer to. But I'm guessing you mean "not a European....Japanese". I was adding to your comment.

A quick google search tells me the civic comes with a DMF , and like some European cars there has been some issues with the DMF.

OP I'd ride it out and see if the issue corrects itself , and keep bringing it up with the dealer if you aren't happy.
If still not happy inform the department of fair trading and see if they can give the Honda dealer a speed up in response

UNLS1
26-08-2013, 12:02 PM
ive had no shudder on my civic, done about 1,500km

eg5civic
26-08-2013, 12:19 PM
My father in laws isuzu dmax did this when new. Hes done about 4000kms in it now and its pretty much gone.

Only happened in 1st on a hill as described with yours

EKVTIR-T
26-08-2013, 12:21 PM
ive had no shudder on my civic, done about 1,500kmYoure a Honda salesman,your comments are invalid

Brian Rhodes
23-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back but I have been over seas.
My car has now done 1700 km and the clutch shudder has definitly much reduced. Perhaps it is because I am inadvertantly giving it more fuel on start up, but it is getting more difficult for me to reproduce the shudder. So maybe it is "wearing in"?
Never-the-less, I am still very happy with the vehicle. My only complaint is that it doesnt come with GPS installed.....

liberty68
27-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi Brian

I just bought my Honda Civic diesel (2) weeks ago i am happy with it have not had any problems with clutch shudder done 1500 km , how many km you getting on full tank?
what brand diesel you using , Shell , Caltex , BP this is my first diesel car what your thoughts? thanks Manuel

Brian Rhodes
27-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Hi Manuel, I dont know what fuel consumption I am getting as at present i only do short city driving. It does appear to be good according to the fuel gauge, but I will do it correctly at my next re fill (one months time!). I still get the shudder on going forward from 1st with a heavy passenger load or up a hill, but I am thinking that this is normal for the vehicle, and that I am being too sensitive! I have to try another manual vehicle (of another make), preferably diesel, but havent come across one yet. I use Shell diesel, I ddint know that there was difference. I also have never had a diesel before. I am still happy with the car.

Grayfox
28-11-2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/38156-car-judders-first-gear-why.html

Mainly for the last gen 1.8 but same kind of complaint.

Fuel economy will be low while the engine gets worn in.

But if you drive mainly on the freeway and are gentle there is no reason why you cant get below 4L/100km.

A chap in the UK done 92MPG with one which is about 3.2L/100km

curtis265
28-11-2013, 05:57 PM
sounds like clutch shutter to me

Hi Guys

Anyone know best Diesel fuel quality eg Shell , BP , Caltex will be filling up in the morning just done 815km on my first tank of diesel which the car dealer
filled up when i purchased my Civic Diesel on 11 november 2013 Many thanks

Manuel

make a different thread for this...