PDA

View Full Version : CRX delsol weight..

tRipitaka
30-03-2005, 09:15 PM
I know that the Del Sol weighs 1114kgs from stock..
I'm just wondering what makes it weigh so much ?

Comparing them to Civic Sedans, whether EK or EG which are sub 1100kgs..
the delsol is visually smaller, which makes me wonder why it weighs so much..

Thanks for any input..
anthony

heist
30-03-2005, 09:26 PM
because of the electric targa top?

tRipitaka
30-03-2005, 09:28 PM
apparently only JDM delsols had that option ;)
but yeah, back to my original question.. anyone ?

heist
30-03-2005, 09:47 PM
well the one at honbits in sydney has the electric targa top and its not an import.... but anyways...

shy crx
30-03-2005, 09:59 PM
i believe our del sols weight so much is because the fact its targa
and since it doesnt have a permanent roof it needs more reinforcements to hold the structure of the body together and solid or sumthing along those lines
it also applys to convertables, same principle
hope that helps :o

DLO01
30-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Yes it is a little car. I think because it comes out standard with all electrics, air con, power window, power steer, etc. Plus the extra strengthening being a targa top. Everyone is I tell is surprised at how heavy it is for a little car.

tRipitaka
30-03-2005, 10:04 PM
i believe our del sols weight so much is because the fact its targa
and since it doesnt have a permanent roof it needs more reinforcements to hold the structure of the body together and solid or sumthing along those lines
it also applys to convertables, same principle
hope that helps :o

oh ok, thanks for that..
but what still puzzles me is that..
the targa roof can't be equivalent to the weight of rear seats and doors of a sedan + more weight on top of that since the CRX is heavier.. or can it ? :confused:

EDIT:
DL001, the civic sedans also came with the electric options, AC, PS, power windows..

shy crx
30-03-2005, 10:15 PM
its like if u cut the roof of any car
the chassis will bend and flex while u drive without the proper reinforcements or as DL001 says strenthening which sounds betta
so for our cars the chassis would need to be more stronger to cope with the roof missing
bah im not good at explain stuff lol :o

tRipitaka
30-03-2005, 10:17 PM
lols.. no worries..
how much does the roof actually weigh ?

DLO01
30-03-2005, 10:20 PM
the targa roof can't be equivalent to the weight of rear seats and doors of a sedan + more weight on top of that since the CRX is heavier.. or can it ? :confused:

EDIT:
DL001, the civic sedans also came with the electric options, AC, PS, power windows..
Yeh, I don't think your understanding us properly. As Shy Crx and I are trying to say. Its not just the roof. Its because you don't have that structural strenghing of a fixed roof, so therefore you need more strength in the floor of the car to compensate the rigidity of having a fixed roof. Does that explain it better? And yes I think that could weigh a bit.

DLO01
30-03-2005, 10:22 PM
lols.. no worries..
how much does the roof actually weigh ?
Is it 15kgs? Something like that.

tRipitaka
30-03-2005, 10:22 PM
yup, I understand now DL001.. thanks..
just didn't consider the strengthening of the roof.. but now it's starting to make sense..
just your first explanation puzzled me, but you cleared it up.. so thanks :)

DLO01
30-03-2005, 10:26 PM
yup, I understand now DL001.. thanks..
just didn't consider the strengthening of the roof.. but now it's starting to make sense..
just your first explanation puzzled me, but you cleared it up.. so thanks :)
Yep, no probs man. I should have elaborated on that in the beginning. Still it still seems weird to me when I look at the little car and know that is so heavy for its size. :p

shy crx
30-03-2005, 10:27 PM
hehehe must have been my explanation that stuffed u up... my bad:o
good job to DL001 for explainin it properly :thumbsup:
umm as for the weight of the roof think its 10kg mark i think

tRipitaka
30-03-2005, 10:28 PM
so effectively,
if the delsol didn't have a targa top, it'd be lighter than most civics..
if only they made one without the targa.. sigh

shy crx
30-03-2005, 10:32 PM
yeh would be interesting to see the weight of a del sol on a non targa one

tRipitaka
30-03-2005, 10:35 PM
just kinda astonishing that effectively, the targa addition costs the car probably around 200 kgs..

PhatSol
30-03-2005, 11:37 PM
just kinda astonishing that effectively, the targa addition costs the car probably around 200 kgs..

Almost, but as somone already said don't forget that the sol has electric everything, P/S, A/C, airbag, ABS, etc.... All of those things add weight to the car. But IMO what's the point of having a sol if you can't go topless! :D

weezer
31-03-2005, 08:51 AM
also the del sol came with a B16A standard (aust delivered) which is also heavier than the sohc counterparts.

tinkerbell
31-03-2005, 09:43 AM
AUDM B16A standard or not - it is still a fat heffer!

JDM SiR specs (B16A):

http://www.honda.co.jp/HOT/ModelData/crx/92cx-k-202/sir_sy.html

from 1090kg to 1140kg

JDM VXi specs (D15B)

http://www.honda.co.jp/HOT/ModelData/crx/92cx-k-202/vxi_sy.html

1030kg to 1100kg

so not THAT much difference due to B16A... (ie only 40kg)

tRipitaka
31-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Almost, but as somone already said don't forget that the sol has electric everything, P/S, A/C, airbag, ABS, etc.... All of those things add weight to the car. But IMO what's the point of having a sol if you can't go topless! :D

Just gathering ideas for a possible project in the near future..
just that I like the look of the sol, but the only downside is the weight..
plus, there's not much you can remove to reduce the weight.. i.e. no back seats, power windows come as standard.. etc etc

tinkerbell
31-03-2005, 03:58 PM
if you want a good base for a fast Honda - only choice is gen2 CRX.

everything else is too heavy.

Gen2 crx can be fitted with DC/EG coil-overs too ;)

tRipitaka
31-03-2005, 04:07 PM
that's the wedge one yeah ?
hmm, no offence to CRX owners, but i don't really like the look.. just my opinion though so don't flame me..

I thought about it today, and wouldn't mind a sol, as it would be nice to have a semi-convertible along the beach in melbourne's 30+ days..

DLO01
31-03-2005, 11:00 PM
I thought about it today, and wouldn't mind a sol, as it would be nice to have a semi-convertible along the beach in melbourne's 30+ days..
Yes, I must admit it is quiet nice sometimes taking the roof off. But seriously in the 30+ hot days it is crazy to take the roof off, cause you just cook under the sun and while it might look cool, its not very comfortable sitting there with the sun blazing on you. On a sunny winters day is the best, well at least in Qld it is :D .

sesshoumaru
31-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Yes, I must admit it is quiet nice sometimes taking the roof off. But seriously in the 30+ hot days it is crazy to take the roof off, cause you just cook under the sun and while it might look cool, its not very comfortable sitting there with the sun blazing on you. On a sunny winters day is the best, well at least in Qld it is :D .

nah man, warm summer nights :D:D

DLO01
01-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Yes true, that too. Summer nights. :D

Qwooootz
01-04-2005, 10:53 AM
atleast it doesnt way as much as the coupes! 1200+

tRipitaka
01-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Really ?
I read somewhere that the coupes and sedans were same length/size..
yet the sedans weigh about 1100+ and you say the coupes weigh 1200+ ?
i woulda thought that more doors = more weight..

Qwooootz
01-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Hrmmm says in the Nrma reviews that it weighs 1114 kg and that the hatch weighs 1131 kg hrmm is that accurate.. i always asumed the hatches wer leighter and the coupes were pretty fat>!? correction please :D

http://www.mynrma.com.au/civic-vti-r-manual-coupe_hondacivvtirc_specs.asp