PDA

View Full Version : Honda crx engine oil question.

Mr Sparkle
30-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Hello all.

I am just wondering which is the recommended oil for a Honda CRX 88 si d16 engine. My car has done nearly 170thousand km. Also what is the recommended oil level.
I just got the car back from the mechanics and have noticed that the oil level is above the second dipstick whole, and i am a bit concerned that there is way to much oil in the car. Also the oil used in the car now is castarol GTX magnetic, i have spoken with another honda dealership and they have said the oil is to thin and to change it a.s.a.p

what do you guys think
cheers
Mr Sparkle

SINISTR
31-03-2005, 11:03 AM
hey Mr Sprakle,

i can tell you that too much oil isn't good for the engine - it just depends how high past the 2nd hole it is... anything to say a mm or 2mm shouldn't be too bad... can happen to the best of us.

As for the Castrol Magnatec... I use it in my 180000 D16 motor on my CRX and I couldn't be happier with it. My car has at once stage been overheated by the previous owner and the rings aren't crash hot. When i got the car, i did an oil change and noticed over 2 weeks my car was using some oil. after a few changes and different oils I used GTX Magnatec - and now the car doesn't use oil at all.

Honda will tell you their oil is the best - which it is for a new engine, but once you get over 100000kms its basically up to the driver (owner) to notice if the car needs a thicker type oil because of the wear.

I say have a look how the car goes with the oil you have, GTX actually sticks to the parts so it can be thinner than others, because of that capability...

anyway - check how much more over the top of the 2nd hole it is... 1-2mm is fine.

Mr Sparkle
31-03-2005, 08:09 PM
cheers for the info dude.

Its much more than 1-2m passed the 2nd dip stick whole.
The car runs fine, doesnt overheat or anything, but i will drain the sump just to be safe.

thanks again