PDA

View Full Version : Euro motor cuts when both brake and accelerator pushed

noel
06-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I guess the question is: Does the 2012 Euro motor drop to idle, if both pedals are depressed?

CHEERS
NOEL

amant02
08-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Is this an automatic car?

noel
08-09-2013, 09:43 PM
HI amant02

Thanks for your prompt response.

Yes, it is an automatic.

The drop in revs is most noticeable to me, as I climb a hill and turn into our carport. It seems that I must have the brake very lightly applied, as well as a foot on the accelerator, judging the turn-in from the street.
I tried it today, using only the accelerator, with no loss of revs.

It's got to be a good thing if, in fact, the throttle is cut with brake applied, in an emergency situation, thus giving maximum braking and preventing drag on the transmission. I experienced emergency brake assist in our Honda Civic, when a driver came out of a side street. It was like a rather large foot hit the brake pedal very hard, and the Civic stopped in a straight line, with no drama, but the car would not move for a second or two. I'd previously witnessed such an incident and thought the car was stationary while the driver recovered their composure.

CHEERS
NOEL

Jasemas
08-09-2013, 09:50 PM
So if your doing 60km/h and try and do a left foot braking technique to avoid an accident?
it won't work
But i guess it has ESC, ABS, VSA etc. etc.

amant02
08-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Hey Man, I wouldn't recommend stepping on both pedals together.

Also I dont have much exp on the new accords. But I'm fairly sure, the play in revs happens as the ECU trys to assist the driver in braking by controlling the gears.
I have noticed this in my Sisters new swift, dads new carmy , my neighbors munro and my work mates discovery. It 'trys' to imitate what we do with our manual box's. Rev matchs into a lower gear for smoother and more efficient braking .

Going uphill should be self explanatory, if your worried maybe your car is getting stuck on gears, I would recommend a ATF change to start with.

noel
09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi, All

My local dealer confirmed that the recent Euros do, in fact, drop the engine revs to idle, if both pedals are pushed together; for my money, a good safety feature that also prevents possible auto box damage.

With regard to left-foot braking, I've been doing it for yonks, obviously in automatic cars. I've witnessed one of those "runaway car" incidents, where the driver believes they have a foot on the brake, whereas it's on the accelerator, and they push harder on the go-pedal in a bid to stop. You know the rest: the vehicle climbs the kerb and does all kinds of damage to pedestrians and property.

What I saw involved an elderly guy, who backed out of a parking spot and turned into a lane, intending to go forward. Mistaking the pedals, he hit the accelerator, thinking he was going to stop. Realising something was wrong, he ripped the auto selector from Reverse, into Drive, and pushed harder on the pedal. Tyres screaming, he shot forward, back whence he came, the car finally stopped by a tree, after damaging two other parked cars.

A good case for learning to brake with the left foot, especially when getting older?

CHEERS
NOEL

dougie_504
09-09-2013, 04:58 PM
To be totally honest every time I've seen/heard of a car mounting a kerb and smashing a cafe or bakery etc it's usually an old person pushing the wrong pedal or thinking they're in reverse when they're not.

I don't think it's a good idea anyway, just use your right foot. Not like you save time/energy/money using the left...

noel
09-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Some interesting thoughts in your responses. Thanks, all!

CHEERS
NOEL