PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if its just me or the CAR (help)

ManualNewbie
06-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Car: 1999 Honda civic EM1

Whenever i shift down from 3rd to 2nd at around 1500 RPM, the cars RPM shoots down really low and suddenly loses power. After that, the car struggles to rev and therefore i have to shift back into 3rd gear so that the car can start working normally. Why does that happen to my car ?

Rage King
06-09-2013, 03:31 PM
sounds like a sticky TB or u need to adjust your idle/accel cable or even a shitty fp.

u prob need a tune - adjust timing, service, ecu (if aftermarket).

dougie_504
09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
What does 2nd gear feel like when you shift up from 1st?

And does this happen when you shift down from other gears? IE 4th to 3rd, or 4th to 2nd etc?

ManualNewbie
11-09-2013, 01:36 PM
What does 2nd gear feel like when you shift up from 1st?

And does this happen when you shift down from other gears? IE 4th to 3rd, or 4th to 2nd etc?

when i shift up, its normal but abit jerky.
But when i downshift, other gears are fine. It seems like only 2nd gear is having a problem.

corsa59
17-09-2013, 01:59 AM
Manual....... If that is really your name.

You needs some lessons my friend from a proper instructor.

I am teaching my daughter to drive a manual at the moment, and my car does EXACTLY the same thing as yours.

BECAUSE, like a lot of learners, she is not changing gears properly, and when she shifts from 3rd to 2nd, she doesn't position her hand correctly, and ends up collecting 4th rather than 2nd. The RPM shoots down rather than up as it should, and there is no power as you are in the wrong gear.

My car is great for a learner to learn in as it is an EG with B18C2, and a final drive of 4.9, so plenty of power and revs in any gear!

She often approaches a corner, drops it from 3rd to 2nd, gets 4th by mistake, and then drives normally around the corner, not noticing her mistake (but I do).

In the ED or the CRX, it is a very different matter as they are basically unmodified.

So, get a few lessons from a friend on the CORRECT way to change down to 2nd from 3rd, do a bit of practice, and your engine problem will be solved!

Cheers!

corsa59
17-09-2013, 02:02 AM
BTW, if you are in Brisbane, I will be happy to give a lesson one day.

Cheers.

corsa59
17-09-2013, 02:03 AM

Cheers.

ManualNewbie
17-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Manual....... If that is really your name.

You needs some lessons my friend from a proper instructor.

I am teaching my daughter to drive a manual at the moment, and my car does EXACTLY the same thing as yours.

BECAUSE, like a lot of learners, she is not changing gears properly, and when she shifts from 3rd to 2nd, she doesn't position her hand correctly, and ends up collecting 4th rather than 2nd. The RPM shoots down rather than up as it should, and there is no power as you are in the wrong gear.

My car is great for a learner to learn in as it is an EG with B18C2, and a final drive of 4.9, so plenty of power and revs in any gear!

She often approaches a corner, drops it from 3rd to 2nd, gets 4th by mistake, and then drives normally around the corner, not noticing her mistake (but I do).

In the ED or the CRX, it is a very different matter as they are basically unmodified.

So, get a few lessons from a friend on the CORRECT way to change down to 2nd from 3rd, do a bit of practice, and your engine problem will be solved!

Cheers!
That is not the case.. I even made sure to avoid that mistake by carefully changing gears, however, results were still the same. I am not that bad to be oblivious of what gear i am in.

corsa59
17-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Sorry mate, I did not mean to offend you. It is just that is the typical reaction of a car when you put it in 4th (by accident) rather than 2nd when slowing down, and a lot of older gearboxes have sloppy gates, which means doing this is pretty easy to do if you are a manual newbie (as you say you are).

Otherwise the car runs perfectly? I would then take it to your local mechanic that you trust, and explain the problem to him, maybe take him for a quick drive and show him the problem, and he will solve it for you toot sweet!

Cheers....

RenzokukenJ
17-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Cheers.

Ouch...

Right in the pride

corsa59
17-09-2013, 11:24 AM
I have a Cert IV in Driver Instruction, and have worked on and off for the past 15 years as a driving instructor. Offering a free lesson to a fellow OzHonda member should not be construed as an insult.

I insisted my children take advanced driving instruction, this will only help ensure their safety (and yours) on the road.

RenzokukenJ
17-09-2013, 11:50 AM
I have a Cert IV in Driver Instruction, and have worked on and off for the past 15 years as a driving instructor. Offering a free lesson to a fellow OzHonda member should not be construed as an insult.

I insisted my children take advanced driving instruction, this will only help ensure their safety (and yours) on the road.

Assuming someone can't drive properly is quite the insult.

corsa59
17-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Assuming someone can't drive properly is quite the insult.

Point taken, but it was a assumption based on his name "Manual Newbie", which infers not that he can't drive, but that he is new to manual gearboxes, a more and more common thing these days amongst Generation Y.

I meant no offense, and I duly apologise to Manual Newbie....

ManualNewbie
17-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry mate, I did not mean to offend you. It is just that is the typical reaction of a car when you put it in 4th (by accident) rather than 2nd when slowing down, and a lot of older gearboxes have sloppy gates, which means doing this is pretty easy to do if you are a manual newbie (as you say you are).

Otherwise the car runs perfectly? I would then take it to your local mechanic that you trust, and explain the problem to him, maybe take him for a quick drive and show him the problem, and he will solve it for you toot sweet!

Cheers....

No worries, I'll just take it to a mechanic and fix the problem from there. Cheers for the input