PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions

bruceb
12-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Hey guys, few noob questions.

1:I need to replace the cam seal in my mums ls teg.

Where can I get one of those billet caps in aus? Or would you recommend just getting an oem seal?

I'd buy from the US but I need it before the 26th and I've had issues with postage times from there

2:Which other model prop valves fit? And where to get one? Perth is difficult for honda parts

Thanks

Daveho1
12-09-2013, 06:00 PM
ebay for the cam end seal...oem leak unfortunately (well eventually anyway)

prop valve dunno, with the vin number call your dealer and see what a new ones worth (worth a shot) from there call wreckers like hondwreck, sydney auto dismantlers etc etc

bruceb
12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks, all the billet seals I've found on there are from US. Do any traders on here sell them?

I think I've found a prop valve already

mocchi
12-09-2013, 08:11 PM
re seal it with permatex grey if youre cheap

bruceb
13-09-2013, 10:06 PM
The seal or the prop valve? Nah not being cheap haha I have to drive about 450kms to fix this thing so I don't want to have to go back.

cbauto
14-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Would have thought black better.
re seal it with permatex grey if youre cheap

Daveho1
14-09-2013, 08:27 AM
both are suitable as grey is interchangeable with most Asian manufactures oem engine oil sealant, where as the black sealant is aimed more at the aftermarket is is meant to be better at slight gap filling aswell but honestly i havent come up against anything other then a sump that needs the black and even then i only use it on sumps because i hate doing sump gaskets...let alone redoing them

bruceb
14-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I've only ever had to use grey so far, I'll keep posting any other retarded questions I have in this thread to save cluttering the forum haha.
I'm a noob to hondas but not other cars

bruceb
09-11-2013, 06:32 PM
So i did the cam seal yesterday, but i have a question I already know the answer too.

I forgot to put lube on the cam cap when I put it back on, do I need to pull it off again and do it? (the answer is yes haha)
I haven't turned the motor over yet as the car doesn't really get driven often.

Baby Face
09-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Where can I get one of those billet caps in aus? Or would you recommend just getting an oem seal?

I'd buy from the US but I need it before the 26th and I've had issues with postage times from there

2:Which other model prop valves fit? And where to get one? Perth is difficult for honda parts

Thanks

i know a number for a guy who has the prop valve (40:40) hes in perth.
if not try AAA Honda and Holden Wreckers [08 9459 3933], he had a teggy they were pulling apart and he could probably fit it for you.

for the cam seal order it through tegiwa will come within 10days im very happy with the seal i got for my b16 back in the day.

lolmclol
09-11-2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks

If you order it from hondapartsdirect.com it normally comes under two weeks and its trackable from pickup to delivery through USPS (USPS packages are contracted out to AusPost when they arrive in Australia).

That's providing they have the part on hand.

But if you need it more urgently as baby face has said try AAA Honda Parts, they're pretty good there.

bruceb
09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Cheers for the help guys haha I started this thread ages ago, heres my post from about an hour ago because you didn't read the whole thread lol. Any ideas?

So i did the cam seal yesterday, but i have a question I already know the answer too.

I forgot to put lube on the cam cap when I put it back on, do I need to pull it off again and do it? (the answer is yes haha)
I haven't turned the motor over yet as the car doesn't really get driven often.

Re: the prop valve, I tried AAA they didn't have one, will check with them when I'm back in perth.

Baby Face
09-11-2013, 11:24 PM
for cam seal, i dont think it needs to be lubed but it will be just a bit nicer i think to lube it up with something before squishing it, so it doesnt pinch or something?
An oem cam seal will only leak again, as it is a well known fact and others have mentioned its an OEM leak, the oem plug was not designed very well, and as a result not durable at all.

have fun, hondas especially them older ones, DA-DC2 EF-EK are quite fun and simple.

Daveho1
10-11-2013, 04:57 AM
agreed the only issue your will really ever have is not having enough money...

bruceb
10-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Yeah I lubed the part of the cam cap that is over the seal but not entirely sure if I did the part that goes over the over the cam, which could be a problem when the car is started again.
I'm gona pull it apart again today and put some on there anyway just to be sure.

I agree with both of the posts above haha we've had this car since brand new and the older hondas are definitely simple and easy to work on

bruceb
10-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm going to keep all my noob questions in this thread so as not to fill the forum with crap.

Anybody know where I can find a workshop manual that covers the d13b? I have usdm manual for the eg that covers all the body and stuff

Baby Face
11-11-2013, 01:06 AM
usdm one will be a bit backward.

Hmmm an EG3? what is that a breeze? or is the breeze a d13a?

bruceb
11-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Yeah its all pretty backwards, I just reference it for stuff. Yeah it's a breeze, I'm pretty sure its d13b, I'll check later when I'm home.

Any idea where I can get an adm workshop manual or an english jdm manual? Mostly just need the d13 stuff, I can figure everything else out easy enough.

Might go to honda later and see how much they want for one

Baby Face
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
just undo all the engine mounts lose that engine, and buy a B series package. i think you will have more fun.

or try going into a repco or supercheap and ask them?

Daveho1
12-11-2013, 04:59 PM
good advice here^^

Jasemas
12-11-2013, 06:04 PM
need to do a fuel pump/line conversion to for efi - b16 swap

bruceb
13-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Haha nah its just a daily, so I'll just keep it stock and maintained until I finish my other car (R31), then look at something like a k swap if I have money haha

Daveho1
13-11-2013, 04:47 AM
sorry didnt realise you where chicken bawk bawk

http://i.imgur.com/xKE07.jpg

Baby Face
13-11-2013, 04:09 PM
yeah better learn how to drive a r31 before going for real power, K power i mean.

jk

sis you try repco for that manual?

bruceb
13-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Haha the 31 is just going to be for skids, the civic will be for other fun.
I haven't had a chance to check anywhere for a manual, been crook. I'll report back here when I find something, for future noobs in case someone else is weird enough to keep a d13 for any period of time.

Baby Face
15-11-2013, 01:03 AM
this might help

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2059720