PDA

View Full Version : B18B Rough idle

EG4B18CT
12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Hey guys I've just done the cam belt and water pump on my Gsi and after I had a really bad misfire under load and found it had the wrong plugs so I've changed the plugs and that solved that issue it's almost running perfect now just has a rough idle/slightly mis firing. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it out but hasn't changed.
I'm thinking maybe I'm a tooth out now but I figure if it was a took out it would be running worse/not at all.

Any suggestions...

Adrian @ SAS
12-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Remove the rocker cover, put #1 on TDC & see if you can pop the cam alignment pins in (use 2 x 4mm pin punches)
Then you will know...
It will run 1 tooth out.
also bridge the 2 pin connector & check your ignition timing is 16deg

EG4B18CT
12-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Cheers mate, where is this 2 pin connector?

Adrian @ SAS
12-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Passenger foot-well, left hand side, just under the dash to the left of the glove box in a green rubber holder together with the 3 pin diagnostic connector.

EG4B18CT
12-09-2013, 11:15 PM
So you bridge that then check it with a timing light?

Chr1s
13-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Yep, the engine light will remain on during that process to confirm.

Using the timing light you want to line up the red mark on the crank pulley (the middle marking), the white mark indicates TDC. If your engine light is already on before jumping the connector, you can use the method Adrian suggested above to check for engine light codes with the reds on before starting the car, ECU MAN has made a thread somewhere (search CEL Error Codes or something) with what the flashes mean.