PDA

View Full Version : Blown Cat?

Javed
04-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Howdy people.

Well I have noticed that my car exhaust makes a pinging noise at a certain rpm and after months of trying to figure out what the hell it was I think I have located it to the Cat. Getting my head under the car the sound is coming from im guessing is the cat, or near there. What I need to know is, what are other signs of a cat being blown, any idling problems? Also my car is blowing out smoke and it never used to, so this oculd be the cause right? I think the owner I bought the teg off not too long ago musta thrashed the poor bugger. Also, my teg is at around 133k, I am thinking I want a major service done, anything necessary to get the car running at optimal performance. This includes changing timing belts and water pumps etc correct? I always get my cars serviced from my local mechanic whom is damn good at his job, very cluey guy and we have stayed iwth him after many shonky fellas. But this time it might be an idea to take it to Honda, what do you guys reckon? Anyways sorry for the long post, I am just really peeved atm, wanna get this car back up to where it should be.

Kind regards,
Javed

felixR
04-01-2004, 03:45 PM
take it to Hanny's :)

Javed
04-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Hanny's? Im in QLD so if it is in Sydney that could be a prob :P

ginganggooly
04-01-2004, 04:05 PM
only sure fire way is to emissions test the car... although i believe the obd2 cars can throw a cel code at you.

when mine was rooted, i ended up with a black build up on my rear bumper. new cat, no soot.

luzinit
05-01-2004, 12:18 AM
mmmy civic vtir has this strange "buzzing" noise at 2700 rpm SPECIFICALLY.. anything at higher or lower rpms is absolutely normal.. is this wot ur car does?? if not.. does anyone know what it could be??? its so annoying.... didnt have it when i got the car... heeh

Javed
05-01-2004, 12:21 AM
mine does it at 2200 rpm specifically, and now my car is blowing smoke and losing top end power, I think it could definitely be my cat. Will be getting it checked out tomorrow.

jansenrw
05-01-2004, 10:23 PM
if your in brisbane, gimme a call on 0411787117, and I'll have a look at it for ya!!!

Jansen

Javed
06-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Im on the gold coast but a new cat is being put in on thurs for $160 fitted. Then a major service is getting done the week after. What should I ask my mechanic to do guys, Change the timining belt, adjust tappets, change spark plugs, change water pump while he is changing timing belt. Antyhing else?

Javed
08-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Well the cat is on and power and performance is back, but still that damn ringing noise at 2100-2200 rpm specifically. It seems to be up near the front of the exahsut before my cat even. What is up there guys? I know jack crap about cars... is the headers or somethin there? It is apparently an aftermarket 2.25" pipe all the way through (bought it like that) if that helps????

Thanks dudes!

PS. Major service next week, getting tappets adjusted, timing belt done, plugs changed, water pump, anything else?

Cheers
Javed