PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad material asbestos?

Type FN
15-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Hey ppl just wondering if anyone knows what materials are actually used in brake pad manufacture of all kinds, i heard asbestos is used and can be harmful (dont know what type of pads), im currently using ferodo ds2500 and its a new compound so asbestos shouldnt be present..anyone know?

DreadAngel
15-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Brake pads can be made of many different compounds with material including organic/non-asbestos, metallic/metal, ceramic, carbon, etc...

DS2500 I don't believe it to be asbestos?

Very few pads left in production would have asbestos...

Cartoon
15-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Brake pads can be made of many different compounds with material including organic/non-asbestos, metallic/metal, ceramic, carbon, etc...

DS2500 I don't believe it to be asbestos?

Very few pads left in production would have asbestos...

Asbestos is banned world wide. Can't be used or stock piled. Been like that for years now.

DreadAngel
15-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Asbestos is banned world wide. Can't be used or stock piled. Been like that for years now.

Must've misread the Japanese then XD

Type FN
15-09-2013, 07:27 PM

yea i thought so, its just if people dont know and it does contain it can be pretty bad..lol,

Cartoon
15-09-2013, 07:51 PM
yea i thought so, its just if people dont know and it does contain it can be pretty bad..lol,

Some countries prob use it but its unknown and obviously not listed as a material.

If it was in brake pads they would not be allowed into the country. The writing prob states they do not contain it :)

Type FN
16-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Some countries prob use it but its unknown and obviously not listed as a material.

If it was in brake pads they would not be allowed into the country. The writing prob states they do not contain it :)

I know it's banned and all but this day and age you just can't be sure anymore...lol, can't even trust food we eat let alone some brake pads for cars...hahah

Cartoon
16-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I know it's banned and all but this day and age you just can't be sure anymore...lol, can't even trust food we eat let alone some brake pads for cars...hahah

Talking about food. Funny how I get sick when I return to australia and eat our food here after a trip to Vietnam

Type FN
16-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Talking about food. Funny how I get sick when I return to australia and eat our food here after a trip to Vietnam

google top 9 fake foods from china...hahah, you will be amazed.

Integra-GSi
17-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Hey ppl just wondering if anyone knows what materials are actually used in brake pad manufacture of all kinds, i heard asbestos is used and can be harmful (dont know what type of pads), im currently using ferodo ds2500 and its a new compound so asbestos shouldnt be present..anyone know?

New compound brake pads are graphite. Asbestos got outlawed many years ago, sometime in the 90s in Australia. Unless your DC2R has never had its brake pads changed, or your running some cheap shit imported directly from China, or somewhere similiar, you're running graphite pads. It makes two tenths of crap all difference though... you can still get pneumoconiosis and silicosis from breathing in graphite dust so I wouldn't stand around breathing in brake dust.

The belief that you're safe because their graphite pads is facile and in actual fact, really a misnomer in the long term. You're trading one type of risk for another asbestosis as opposed to silicosis or pneumoconiosis either way if you breath enough of the shit in you're going to be dead from not being able to breath within give or take 40 years.

Cartoon
17-09-2013, 09:24 PM
The prob with asbestos was how fine te fibers break down.

You right but on trading one risk for another but I do think the risk is reduced with graphite.

Everything gives u cancer or something anyway

Integra-GSi
17-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Yep... It's reduced, I'd still not run the risk of breathing in brake dust though if it could be helped at all. Asbestosis isn't a fun thing, I met a guy at TAFE about 10 years ago now, he had asbestosis and had been living with it for 20 odd years, I'm not sure where he's at now, but I'm sure he's not well. It's a shit of a way to die as you slowly lose your lung function until you can't breath, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Daveho1
18-09-2013, 05:51 AM
very true but its like any hazardous material, if you treat it with the caution it deserves then it will be fine.
a lot of pads now just list as being made of "fiber". asbestos as a material is excellent and performed its intended jobs extremely well, its just tragic that the appropriate research wasnt done before sticking it in every ones walls though...

Type FN
18-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Yep... It's reduced, I'd still not run the risk of breathing in brake dust though if it could be helped at all. Asbestosis isn't a fun thing, I met a guy at TAFE about 10 years ago now, he had asbestosis and had been living with it for 20 odd years, I'm not sure where he's at now, but I'm sure he's not well. It's a shit of a way to die as you slowly lose your lung function until you can't breath, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Damn how did he get it? Was he working with asbestos daily and bein exposed constantly?

Type FN
18-09-2013, 08:08 AM
very true but its like any hazardous material, if you treat it with the caution it deserves then it will be fine.
a lot of pads now just list as being made of "fiber". asbestos as a material is excellent and performed its intended jobs extremely well, its just tragic that the appropriate research wasnt done before sticking it in every ones walls though...

Nothing these days gets enough "research" before we are the ones who are the guinea pigs testing out whatever products are thrown at us...companies are always too rushed to make money that they don't realize the consequences if their products are harmful or cancer inducing in anyway....it's just how it is I guess.

Integra-GSi
18-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Damn how did he get it? Was he working with asbestos daily and bein exposed constantly?

I'm not sure exactly, I never asked. As far as asbestos goes, it performs well, and is heat and friction resistant. It is better than graphite, but then graphite doesn't kill all the mechanics who have to deal with the exposure to fibres.

zedries
18-09-2013, 12:19 PM
For clarity - Asbestos is not "banned worldwide" but most car companies stopped using it years ago. I say most because Great wall had a scare last year that some of their braking companents were made with asbestos products and may have been brought into Australia.

In Australia it is illegal to manufacture or import ANYTHING containing asbestos. Where as countries like Canada still actually mine asbestos and export to countries like china and India I believe.

Asbestos is banned becauseone single fibre of asbestos can cause mesothelioma which has no cure and on average kills people within 18 months of contraction.

Asbestosis and other more mildly debilitating forms of asbestos exposure just slowly damage your system and eventually will kill you.

Moral of the story - stay awat from asbestos and if you have an old home with flaky boards in your weatherboard home built in 1960's or before. Call a professional and check if it's asbestos. As long as it's not fibrous and still intact it's not harmful but once airborne and in your lungs.. see above.

Type FN
18-09-2013, 04:00 PM
For clarity - Asbestos is not "banned worldwide" but most car companies stopped using it years ago. I say most because Great wall had a scare last year that some of their braking companents were made with asbestos products and may have been brought into Australia.

In Australia it is illegal to manufacture or import ANYTHING containing asbestos. Where as countries like Canada still actually mine asbestos and export to countries like china and India I believe.

Asbestos is banned becauseone single fibre of asbestos can cause mesothelioma which has no cure and on average kills people within 18 months of contraction.

Asbestosis and other more mildly debilitating forms of asbestos exposure just slowly damage your system and eventually will kill you.

Moral of the story - stay awat from asbestos and if you have an old home with flaky boards in your weatherboard home built in 1960's or before. Call a professional and check if it's asbestos. As long as it's not fibrous and still intact it's not harmful but once airborne and in your lungs.. see above.

man...intense stuff...

bennjamin
19-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Guise

Having worked on suspension / DIY and I'm sure alot of guys here DIY - always try and keep clear of the brake area when banging about under there. I try to place a rag or even moist towel on the calipers themselves to absorb some of the nasty dust emitted when you are fiddling around with the suspension and brakes. Take care !

zedries
19-09-2013, 08:53 AM
This ^^^ and yes I got a bit carried away... I have seen the effect of asbestos exposure to many people. Not nice.

grifty
19-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Guise

Having worked on suspension / DIY and I'm sure alot of guys here DIY - always try and keep clear of the brake area when banging about under there. I try to place a rag or even moist towel on the calipers themselves to absorb some of the nasty dust emitted when you are fiddling around with the suspension and brakes. Take care !

Its also always good to give braking components a spray with brake clean to minimise dust (Y)

Integra-GSi
19-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Guise

This, save yourself a bit of a scare and dampen down the area with brake cleaner if you have to be banging around there as well and if you're not sure, wear a mask.

As far as houses go, if you've got loose/broken boards, or you want to start renovating and your house is fibreboard of that era... check that it's not hardyboard made out of asbestos. If it is, call a professional. You can also get it encapsulated so as its safe.

tripleuse
20-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I find it funny that people will smoke a pack a day, but when put against asbestos they shit themselves. Its amazing how much the population are actually being exposed to asbestos fibers without knowing.

Cartoon
20-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I find it funny that people will smoke a pack a day, but when put against asbestos they shit themselves. Its amazing how much the population are actually being exposed to asbestos fibers without knowing.

Actually I you smoke an have been exposed to asbestos you chances of getting lung cancer or illness from asbestos is like 100 times more likely.

Proven fact

bennjamin
21-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Actually I you smoke an have been exposed to asbestos you chances of getting lung cancer or illness from asbestos is like 100 times more likely.

Proven fact

Yeah- many can smoke an entire life and not be massively affected.

You have to think that cigarettes ( in general) are a controlled addictive drug which are designed to milk money as long as possible- ie a lifetime lol

tripleuse
21-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Proven fact

i do agree,but we have all been exposed to asbestos, trains and cars were running asbestos pads for years. Even though that was 20+ years ago. There is still fibers flying around our tunnels everytime a train passes. The amount of times ive seen asbestos not covered in bins or not covered in utes/trucks. Yes it is bad. But i disagree when people try to explain that 1 fiber will kill you.

Yeah- many can smoke an entire life and not be massively affected.

this is true with any substance. My old man is still alive and he has been exposed to quite a bit of asbestos, still has no effect from it 40 years on.

zedries
21-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Agree with above except.... Fact that depending on where the fibre attached on the lung or pleura it can cause a fibrotic change which causes methoselioma and eventually death.

It's unfortunate but true. Rare also. Legally it's often referred to as a divisible condition/disease.

Anyway, point is wet down things and cover asbestos products!

Safe modding to all!