PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust for my VTi

Vivski
31-03-2005, 06:11 PM
G'day, was just speaking to Midas. Got the following recommendation from them which went against what a lot of people have told me.

My Car: 1995 Honda Civic EG VTi (D16Y1 SOHC VTEC)

Recommendation:
- 2" press bent pipe
- glass pack muffler
- extractors
about $700 for about 8-10kW gain give or take

Explaination:
- 2.25" is too big for the engine. Would actually lose power.
- mandrel bent a waste of money for little airflow gain.
- hi flow cat waste of money for the slight airflow gain.

- with the new system should feel more responsive throughout the rev range, better overtaking and about a 8-10kW (vague) peak power gain. But more about the feel and sound than top end power.

A lot of you will've put exhaust systems on your cars. You should have some ideas about what worked and what could've been better. What you would've done differently if you had your money again....

-Viv-

Lukezen27
31-03-2005, 08:44 PM
To tell you the truth the main difference I noticed was being able to go up hills in forth

Not to sure what the means but if it helps to go up hills in forth there must be gains there?

LukeZen

type one
31-03-2005, 09:20 PM
all i can say is that for press bent $700 is a LOT of DOUGH....

I have a press bent 2.25 cat back system into a spoon N1 on my VTi and the piping cost me $100 fitted. Ring ACE exhausts in Ringwood and speak to John or Dave.

Vivski
31-03-2005, 09:31 PM
all i can say is that for press bent $700 is a LOT of DOUGH....

I have a press bent 2.25 cat back system into a spoon N1 on my VTi and the piping cost me $100 fitted. Ring ACE exhausts in Ringwood and speak to John or Dave.
The extractors account for $450, unconfirmed.

I'll give ACE exhausts a call tomorrow. Been looking for a good place for another quote.

Vivski
31-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Someone might be able to help me with this...

What is the diameter of the stock pipe on an EG VTi hatch? Looked in the service book but couldn't find it.

Lukezen27
31-03-2005, 09:35 PM
The extractors account for $450, unconfirmed.

I'll give ACE exhausts a call tomorrow. Been looking for a good place for another quote.

I got

XFORCE 4-2-1 Headers - H8891
XFORCE Muffler - S12
High Flow Cat
Big Bertha Resonator
Piping 2” mandrel bent

Installed for $1150

Good deal I think

Vivski
01-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Just got off the phone to ACE exhausts in Ringwood.
Their take on it...

- extractors, 2.25" press bent, glass pack muffler, nice tip = ~$650 fitted.

So neither think mandrel bending is worth it for a 1.6 VTEC, nor a hi flow cat. There is conflict in their recommendations for the size. And that's basically all I have to decide now. People have said 2" mandrel is the way to go, so maybe 2.25" is a better match than a 2". But then Midas said 2" max.

Looks like I'll have to call a few more places.

In other news, I called up Honda and they have no idea what the diameter of the piping is as stock. So no help there. At this stage, I'm assuming it's 1.75".

-Viv-

[stealth]
01-04-2005, 02:25 PM
if u want quality pay a lil more for mandrel bends.. of even a proper cat-back system designed for ur car.. otherwise if u dont give a F@!K then.. go ahead with ur quotes..

:)

egSi
01-04-2005, 02:32 PM
jeez... 2" sucks imo lol

[stealth]
01-04-2005, 02:35 PM
well.. 2.25 is probably the most u would go...

2" will just make ur exhuast more quiet....

type one
01-04-2005, 02:38 PM
hahaha stock is 1.75" - and yeah 2" sucks...

go 3"... and turbocharge.

extractors won't gain u much on a VTi... unless u getting some wicked crazy headers from the US which won't allow u to use a/c or p/s... i say catback plenty...

if you want more response invest in a lightweight set of 15's... a forged 15" wil make ALL the difference.

egSi
01-04-2005, 02:40 PM
if you want more response invest in a lightweight set of 15's... a forged 15" wil make ALL the difference.

15 till i die lol ^^^^ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vivski
01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Good advice. I'll keep my eyes open for a good set of lightweight 15s.

Seems like the 2" or 2.25" debate will go on indefinitely. Maybe a good sticky will prevent it being raised every two days. But knowing forums, it probably wouldn't. ;)

-Viv-

egSi
01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Good advice. I'll keep my eyes open for a good set of lightweight 15s.

Seems like the 2" or 2.25" debate will go on indefinitely. Maybe a good sticky will prevent it being raised every two days. But knowing forums, it probably wouldn't. ;)

-Viv-

oi get em both, light 15s and 2.25" la ;)

Vivski
01-04-2005, 03:29 PM
AAMI will chuck a spaz if I get both.

If I just get one mod now, then swap over to JustCar when I have the funds to do it properly. Exhaust, intake, ECU, etc.

Sad that I have to choose. I'd like to do them both.

egSi
01-04-2005, 03:34 PM
insurance companies are like tight arse bitch mums :thumbdwn: lol

Vivski
01-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Agreed!

type one
01-04-2005, 04:00 PM
lightweight 15's are about as easy to find as a tasmanian tiger in heat.

as for insurance companies - what they don't know won't hurt em.

FlavzzTEGRA
01-04-2005, 06:01 PM
as far as i can tell the theory as far as piping goes is that 2" should get u gains in the low to midrange but 2.25" should be a better top end.

Also I am astonished at your exhaust prices!!!

In SA we are getting ripped to the tune of 5-6 hunge for a press bent cat back! :thumbdwn: I wish i was in vic or NSW......

I have been calling around and researching alot as well for my dc4 and the Mandrel Vs Press Bent Issue is a dodgy one. The high end places here say yeah get it, but most medium priced places say its a waste of money. I think it would make some small difference but the biggest difference it makes to them is a fatter pay check. I mean most of our cars arent high high performance turbo engines, so just go press bent i say. I dont reckon u would notice any diff

Nuttz
01-04-2005, 06:34 PM
when i got my exhaust changed form stock to 2.25" i felt i lost torque at low rpm(1000-2000), but the car felt it could rev to redline better(4000-7000). I reckon if u get the 2" u wouldn't et as much loss down low but u would also get less at the higher rev range..

so i reckon it depends on what u prefer.

Chi
01-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Dont go press bench bent, its so crap in terms of all round diameter size of the piping, get pre made mandrel bent piping @ 2"

2.25 would be a bit big and real power only gained in higher revs.

Also if u search around u can pikc up 2nd hand headers for really good prices under $150 easily.

Lukezen27
01-04-2005, 06:55 PM

Trav won't give up on that point now will he!!!:p

Waggy
01-04-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm an NA freak, but I do admire how hard turbo D series engines pull. I would probably still go with a 2.25" and maybe fettle the ECU on a dyno to make up for any loss (I still reckon the loss would be minimal, it SHOULD save you money in future because you won't have to upgrade your exhaust if you wanna add more power).

aimre
03-04-2005, 11:26 PM
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth7.jpg

its your choice

KB
03-04-2005, 11:38 PM
good pic (y)

TYPE-ONE
15-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Hey dudes. Im getting a custom 4-2-1 Header soon for my Vti, A Full CAI setup and also a VAFC2 is coming. I think i'll leave the cat for now. For the piping i think i mite go 2" from the cat to the rear zxle and then 2.25 " from the rear axle to the muffler. Is this a good approach or just a waste of time?

mj3610
16-11-2005, 12:09 PM
LOL the onli reason i'd wanna get 15's is so i can dump the car on the ground cause i cant go that low with 17x7.5,
i've found midas to be rip-offs, when iw as getting my muffler i asked around there and they said $350 for a canon installed, and that was the cheap 3A racing brand and midas referd to it as "a better brand"...
i think my friend got his whole works for $1100 from liverpool exhaust and he had some pretty good results.
but it should be the same everywhere else i think the prices ur getting at midas arent that good along with the products.

fusion_VTi
16-11-2005, 01:07 PM
i got 2" pressbent on my VTI. imo i noticed some small gains, but mate the stock exhaust is pretty efficeint anyway so it'll make ****all difference which one you choose. I'd go for 2" catback and ditch the headers/high flo cat.

Lukezen27
16-11-2005, 06:04 PM
2.5" or 3" all the way!!!!!!!

Back pressure is a myth well at lest up till about 3" :p

I shose 2" and it was a bad move :(

sivic
16-11-2005, 08:26 PM
this is bad advice.:thumbdwn:
3" is way too big. so is 2.5" for a Vti.
when ppl say backpressure is a myth its because exhausts work on maximising gas velocity NOT backpressure.
its not a myth that 3" is too big for 1.6l NA
i guarantee you go a 3" exhuast and you'll lose power. a 2.5" will result in big power losses down low.
go find a honda tuning book and the chances are there will be dyno tests proving this.
go with whats proven and get either 2" or 2.25". mandrel bends if funds allow it

Lukezen27
16-11-2005, 08:39 PM
this is bad advice.:thumbdwn:
3" is way too big. so is 2.5" for a Vti.
when ppl say backpressure is a myth its because exhausts work on maximising gas velocity NOT backpressure.
its not a myth that 3" is too big for 1.6l NA
i guarantee you go a 3" exhuast and you'll lose power. a 2.5" will result in big power losses down low.
go find a honda tuning book and the chances are there will be dyno tests proving this.
go with whats proven and get either 2" or 2.25". mandrel bends if funds allow it

Well I know some very well known turners that would disagree but hey!!

KB
16-11-2005, 08:47 PM
catbacks do fuk all anyway.

I only gained 2hp with a catback, yet 10hp with my xforce headers.
same dyno same day.

my recommendation for vti.
2.25 pressbend.

sivic
17-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Well I know some very well known turners that would disagree but hey!!
well along with the mountains of ppl who will agree that 3" is too big for a basically stock 1.6l i will stick by my statement.:p
you only have to drive such a car to feel how bad it is:thumbdwn:. let alone stick it on a dyno.
but go ahead and stick a 3" system on a Vti. you can only learn from experience.
maybe, just MAYBE you will see slight gains up top but the rest of the power band, where you spend 99% of your time, will see significant losses. and hence your car becomes a farty POS to drive
are you sure you weren't discussing a turbo setup;)

Lukezen27
17-11-2005, 06:43 AM
well along with the mountains of ppl who will agree that 3" is too big for a basically stock 1.6l i will stick by my statement.:p
you only have to drive such a car to feel how bad it is:thumbdwn:. let alone stick it on a dyno.
but go ahead and stick a 3" system on a Vti. you can only learn from experience.
maybe, just MAYBE you will see slight gains up top but the rest of the power band, where you spend 99% of your time, will see significant losses. and hence your car becomes a farty POS to drive
are you sure you weren't discussing a turbo setup;)

Well I am going 3" for Turbo but thats besidet he point as I was told about this when I was still looking into N/A gains

So have you driven a VTi with 2.25"?

sivic
17-11-2005, 07:52 PM
yes and even then i could feel a little less power down low than a 2" system.
have you driven one with a 3" system? or has anyone? then we could get some first hand experience rather than what we've simply been told
but to be honest, if a 3" system was the go then wouldnt it be common knowledge rather than countless experienced ppl strongly advising us not to?

Lukezen27
17-11-2005, 08:44 PM
yes and even then i could feel a little less power down low than a 2" system.
have you driven one with a 3" system? or has anyone? then we could get some first hand experience rather than what we've simply been told
but to be honest, if a 3" system was the go then wouldnt it be common knowledge rather than countless experienced ppl strongly advising us not to?

Your right, I’m not Speaking from experience but the person the told me is a very experienced tuner and I don’t understand why he would tell me if its not the case!

The very reason I when 2” was coze everyone on OzHonda told me 2" no more on a 1.6L engine only to learn that 2” is to small or so I’m told!!

I will be going 3” before turbo so I guess I’ll found out :p

Cheer’s Luke

wynode
17-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Moved to the Civic section because thats where it belongs :)

sivic
17-11-2005, 09:00 PM
cool. then we can get a definite conclusion:thumbsup:

will be interesting comparison
but then it wont matter cos you'll be boosting around:D

Lukezen27
17-11-2005, 09:06 PM
cool. then we can get a definite conclusion:thumbsup:

will be interesting comparison
but then it wont matter cos you'll be boosting around:D

lol Yeah but I'll be drive'n round with 3" for sometime coze I can't afford to do it all @ once

If I'm lucky I might get a new ECU at the same time and get both 2" and "3 dyno :thumbsup:

tho I doubt it will end up working out that well :p